what is your worst pest you encounter when metal detecting?

Had a little girl do the same thing. She got real mad when I would not let her do it again as she was grabbing and running to her parents. '

I once had a kid trying to grab my coil and shaft. he stopped at once when I said "Careful! I wouldn't want you to be shocked!"
Ran like a deer!

Sage(OutSNEAK them)Grouse

Mainly mosquitoes, snakes (black, tiger, king brown etc), spiders (mainly redbacks), bull ants, ticks and march flies. Snakes are what I’m most worried especially in the warmer months when I’m hunting in the bush or long grass

Horse flies are the worst. I got out of my car the other day and one immediately started dogging me. I walked 3/4 of a mile to my spot and he followed me the whole distance! I eventually nailed him, but talk about annoying!

Tim, if you only had ONE after you, you are lucky. Around here, they swarm all around your head and anywhere else, land and bite. It gets a bit scary with 50 chasing you. :mad:

I have had a couple kids become real pests. One boy followed me over a half mile on the beach until i finally told him that he needed to go back to where his parents were. He kept trying to grab items out of my scoop.

Had a little girl do the same thing. She got real mad when I would not let her do it again as she was grabbing and running to her parents. '

Most kids are a pleasure but once in a while a brat shows up.

I once had a kid trying to grab my coil and shaft. he stopped at once when I said "Careful! I wouldn't want you to be shocked!"
Ran like a deer!

Sage(OutSNEAK them)Grouse

…..reminded me of this funny :laughing:
kidsanddetecting3Mud.jpg

(found at http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2917384#post2917384 )

Eastern NC, but not near the coast.

I'm in the Nash county area of NC and I've just starting to get serious about metal detecting. I would have to say the worst pests to date are a toss-up between nats and red-bugs. Doggon if I know what I keep in my ears that nats love so much, but I wish they would go somewhere else! I've been digging a lot of old homesteads and I typically wear long pants and boots. I also normally spray myself with deet-spray; however, I recently forgot to bring it with me and dug for about six hours in the woods in soft pine-straw.....right now, my body looks like I have the chicken-pox! :shock:

Mainly mosquitoes, snakes (black, tiger, king brown etc), spiders (mainly redbacks), bull ants, ticks and march flies. Snakes are what I’m most worried especially in the warmer months when I’m hunting in the bush or long grass

You win, you've got some serious pests there. I once had a mosquito bite me. This md'ing in Idaho is tough. On the other hand, I have yet to find a gold nugget. :(

Yellowjackets!

It seems yellowjackets have a propensity to crawl down inside discarded soda cans and slurp up the sugary residue...sometimes they get so full of nectar, they overnight inside the can as the evening temps cool down, predominately in the Fall.....

..Heres my Detectorist problem... a guy out subsistence hunting sportsfields for clad pulls a bag of discarded cans early in the morning and puts them inside his car to haul to the redemption center for a dime each....

Then, all of a sudden, as the temp warms up, a guy is driving down the road with a whole car full of sugar hopped up and angry yellowjackets crawling out of the cans!! Its like DAMN!! Whats a guy gotta do nowadays to make an honest dime Detecting? Fight with a carload of bees?? Nobody addresses this issue...

...we wouldn't want one of those disk golfers to trip on a plug. Or would we?:extrahappy:
Let 'em trip. I've done well when I sweep about 25 feet from the tee box. Those guys really fling stuff both off the finger and out of the pockets.

My worst pests have been the homeless. Whenever I stumble on a hobo camp I always check my surroundings more carefully. On one occasion I was approached in my blind spot by some weirdo who came out of the woods. I always keep my Lesche visible to anybody who would approach and he stopped when he saw it. Found out later there was an active manhunt for a murder suspect in the area but he didn't fit the description.:shock:

Let 'em trip. I've done well when I sweep about 25 feet from the tee box. Those guys really fling stuff both off the finger and out of the pockets.

My worst pests have been the homeless. Whenever I stumble on a hobo camp I always check my surroundings more carefully. On one occasion I was approached in my blind spot by some weirdo who came out of the woods. I always keep my Lesche visible to anybody who would approach and he stopped when he saw it. Found out later there was an active manhunt for a murder suspect in the area but he didn't fit the description.:shock:

I've never come across any of those disk golfers but I'm with you....let 'em trip.
Like you , whenever some "unsavory" character is around I pull out my Digmaster and let it be seen just in case. I try to hunt places where the "criminal element" is a non factor.

Around Spokane it's the homeless. They are becoming very defensive and threatening about "their" parks. One exception though last week was fun. A Homeless lady walked up to me and asked if she could feel the magnetic pull my detector makes when I go over a coin. Although it would be cool If detectors gave a little tug over each coin like when fishing :laughing:

Number one pest here is the mosquito. They’ve gotten clever and don’t fly by your face but chew up your ankles. Drives me insane with scratching and swelling.

I hate snakes of any kind good or bad. I’ll go out of my way to kill a large earthworm if I see it.

A few years back on my first shared hunt with IDX Monster, a couple of young boys with a very mean streak in them decided they could throw stones at me. Even after I yelled at them their activity continued. My yelling caught IDX's attention and he waddled over to see what the excitement was about. When his appearance on the scene happened the fear of the lord came upon the culprits and they disappeared from view almost as if they were vaporized. Trapper

A few years back on my first shared hunt with IDX Monster, a couple of young boys with a very mean streak in them decided they could throw stones at me. Even after I yelled at them their activity continued. My yelling caught IDX's attention and he waddled over to see what the excitement was about. When his appearance on the scene happened the fear of the lord came upon the culprits and they disappeared from view almost as if they were vaporized. Trapper

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
That’s not QUITE how it happened but since the statute of limitations hasn’t expired, we’ll just leave that story just like it is.:lol::lol: I did learn at least one thing that day...do NOT throw rocks at Trapper!:lol::lol::lol:
I saw you called, will try to call back later...;)

Back
Top Bottom