Rockin' n Rollin' in SoCal

Rudy

Admin
Shake, rattle and roll in Southern California. The Kern county area is letting us know it's there. We had a 7.1 class earthquake last night, preceded by a 6.4 pre-shock a couple of days earlier. Although I am ~150 miles away, we clearly felt it

A 7.1 is a BIG ONE! Fortunately it was in a sparsely populated area. For comparison,
the Loma Prieta earthquake that caused freeways and buildings to collapse in the san Francisco Bay area was a 6.9. I was in Monterey when Loma Prieta happened and let me telll you, that was scary!

I wonder if those quakes ever cause any people to move elsewhere or are they just so used to it they simply accept that it comes with the territory.

Could you imagine digging a plug and the ground opens up :shock:

Thanks for the update Rudy! Was wondering how much you felt it where you are. Glad you guys are OK!

I was still working for PG&E here in Santa Cruz during the '89 quake, remember it all to well!

I wonder if those quakes ever cause any people to move elsewhere or are they just so used to it they simply accept that it comes with the territory.

I lived in Florida through several hurricanes.
I've been in places where tornados came through.
Pick the disaster of your choice.

Thanks for the update Rudy! Was wondering how much you felt it where you are. Glad you guys are OK!

I was still working for PG&E here in Santa Cruz during the '89 quake, remember it all to well!

Ron, it was felt as far South as San Diego. Here it was mostly a rolling kind of movememnt.

Dutchsinse and Spaceweather...everyday!

As fragile as we are, a bipedal hominid has to pay attention to the inbound weather above or below.....

Our son's sister in law and family live in Ridgecrest. They are OK other than breakage and a crack in house foundation. He is a civilian contractor at the China Lake Naval Warfare Center close by there.

I lived in Florida through several hurricanes.
I've been in places where tornados came through.
Pick the disaster of your choice.

Good point, I'm am glad things were not as bad there as they could possibly have been with a quake that size.

We were at a car show and all the cars were rocking back and forth hard. I'm glad I wasn't inside because the sound of them shaking buildings is the wooooorst...

Good point, I'm am glad things were not as bad there as they could possibly have been with a quake that size.

Other than Ridgecrest, this is a pretty sparsely populated part of the state.

I was in Oklahoma when they had a 4.something. It was a little unnerving. I can't imagine something over a 7!!

Our son's sister in law and family live in Ridgecrest. They are OK other than breakage and a crack in house foundation. He is a civilian contractor at the China Lake Naval Warfare Center close by there.

Glad to hear they are all right. I had a crack in my house foundation when I lived in Almaden (South San Jose). I figure it was caused by the Loma Prieta quake. If I remember correctly, it was a $1200 repair.

Seems most of the Ridgecrest damage was cracked foundations, broken glass and a few home fires due to broken gas lines.

Could you imagine digging a plug and the ground opens up :shock:

I live in Northern VA, and we get an earthquake about once every hundred years or so, and we had a 5.8 back in 2011. Tornadoes pick on LaPlata, MD, across the river, and the last full strength hurricane to hit was Hazel back in 1954 (at least in my area). This area might be expensive and boring, but it's reasonably safe. :)

I think the biggest immediate threat would be from whackos who claim the earthquakes are punishment from the Almighty for being sinners, but the people who claim that fail to explain why the DC area is still standing. :)

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom