Making Money Metal Detecting!

lucky_c

This subject has come up here before, can one make money at this? Well, the other day I was talking with a friend who is a claim investigator with a major insurance company. He was talking about how another investigator had saved the company $17,000 on a lost ring claim. He got a guy with (as my friend put it) 'one of those beep-beep things' to go and find it in the claimant's yard.

"You mean a metal detector!" I said.

"Yes, one of those," says my friend.

I of course told him I have one of those and CALL ME if that situation ever comes up again. I wonder who that lucky guy was that found that ring?

It doesn't happen that often but if any of you know people in the insurance business you may want to let them know that you are available. Reasonable rates!

Of course if I ever get that call I'll let y'all here on the forum know about it. ;)

How would that work? Would they pay you only if you found the ring, or by the hour?

How would that work? Would they pay you only if you found the ring, or by the hour?

Since any ring that would cause an insurance company to hire outside help to find it must be worth a LOT of money, I'd work on commission only - some percentage of insured value if found, not a penny if not found.

Even at just ten percent, the finder would have earned $1,700 on this one.

If you charge by the hour, the insurance company will have to pay you even if they don't get anything out of it. They may not like that.

Nobody pays you by the hour to hunt the park, and what are the odds you'll find a $17,000 ring at the park?

50 for the visit and 30 per hour after that! Please charge them in Euro's cause our greenback is not worth doggie doo.......:lol:

It would be a fantastic way to live............If I tried that, I'ld have to get used to eating wish sandwiches, and maybe living on the streets to boot. But don't let us discourage you........Go For It!!!

I don't think anyone could make a living that way, it just doesn't happen that often that someone makes an insurance claim for expensive jewelery lost in their yard. But it would be nice to get to try it and maybe get a check once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom