Anderson or Plugger straight shaft??

jamesbnkentucky

Hello everyone,

I just purchased an Excalibur 1000 and would like to get a straight shaft for it. Could any of you beach hunters give me advice on which straight shaft you prefer and or positives and negatives of the two brands? Those seem to be two of more popular shafts but is there something you prefer more?
I was looking at the plugger three peice travel shaft but was not sure how sturdy/stable it would be compared to the two piece travel shaft. Also, will the Excal 1000 fit the same rod as the new Excal II or is it a different bolt pattern/spacing?

Thanks
James

Shaft

I would go with Pluggers there American made. If you have a problem with the Canadian made Anderson shaft it a pain to return because of extra work that customs causes

i run plugger strait shaft's

I run plugger strait shafts,in my opinion Anderson's are over price'd,if you want to pay extra for carbon fiber rod's,than get Anderson,the Plugger's are light and hold up,here are my plugger set up's,note he uses newer cam lock's now,i do have a 2 piece travel rod i will sell ,not using,with the older cam locks for 80.00 shiped ,happy hunting Earl

Attachments

• 20110602_2.JPG
    20110602_2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 3,352
  • 20110601_11.JPG
    20110601_11.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,190
  • 20110601_7.JPG
    20110601_7.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,513
Excal excal ii

The bolt pattern is the same on the two...you can build your own shaft and save $$$..i built these..

Attachments

• 557362_3906720061195_134296367_n.jpg
    557362_3906720061195_134296367_n.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3,060
  • 549660_3906718621159_638951842_n.jpg
    549660_3906718621159_638951842_n.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,186
  • 319434_3906720941217_1918096690_n.jpg
    319434_3906720941217_1918096690_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,093
How handy are you with a hack saw & drill? http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=59154&highlight=DIY+Straight+shaft
Both Anderson and Plugger make quality shafts BTW. Just comes down to how much money your willing to spend. Good friend and fellow hunter uses a Plugger and is very happy with his. One thing to keep in mind is those 3 piece travel shafts need to be broken down and thoroughly washed after each use or they seize up real fast.

Beach hunter

That's a ok set up for home made,however i like the balance,on the behind the elbo deal, also it keep's your unit out of the salt water, in waste deep,hunting,Earl Aquaman i flush mine with fresh water and,you dont have to break down the 3 piece shaft's,they dont seize up i own 3 of them Earl

Last edited:
I'm not going to argue with you Surf Master! My friends Plugger shaft seized up. He can't get it apart now so he doesn't even bother...it's frozen.

I got the plugger set up for my AT Pro and so far with only a few hours with it I really like the difference.
The S shaft was really starting to mess with my carpel tunnel, using this set up I got zero numbness in my fingers for once. :D

atproSSRS.jpg

anderson carbon fiber tall man, over the elbow mount with a anderson carbon fiber lower, end of story,,,,GL HH

Cam locks

I'm not going to argue with you Surf Master! My friends Plugger shaft seized up. He can't get it apart now so he doesn't even bother...it's frozen.

I agree Aquaman!!! Cam locks always seize up!! That is why I never use them any more...the detector behind your arm really won't keep it out of the water much while hunting in the surf!! I have tride the behind the arm mount...its ok on wet/dry...hate it in the water!! Everyone I know who has tried it went back to regular straight...you can build behind the arm just as easy as regular straight shaft...I have built both... I use 2 nylon bolts on the lower shaft to hold it in place...no wobble...never freeze up.

Attachments

• excal%20set%20up%202_2_13.jpg
    excal%20set%20up%202_2_13.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,897
Thank you all for the replies!

Earl, is that a dive setup on your Excal 800? I was wondering if the over/under or dive shaft was comfortable for regular water hunting or if the behind the elbow feels better? I like your detector collection!

Thanks
James

I have the plugger three piece. It was totally frozen up when i tried taking it apart for travel. I had to hacksaw the plastic cam locks off of it as the bolts were rusty and no amount of wd40 would loosen them up...Now it's put together with plastic bolts.... They know what environment we use our detectors in and they can't honestly expect us to break down the entire rod after every hunt to clean it and lube it....
I can't honestly recommend this product in good conscience....

Aquaman

Ya, this is what i think,some areas are different, than mostly were i hunt,like florida for example,the salt content in the water- and air are 5 time's worse than here in Maryland,might be alot of salt in HI to,don't know,i also don't hunt as much as you all, 230 miles round trip to the beach with a gas guzzler :shock:,i flush all my rod's, and machines with fresh water,also i wipe them down using silicone spray,not every hunt, but once in a while,also use it on the machine's cable's,protects agains't the salt,better life,all of these thing's take into consideration,as to any ROD seizing up,you don't know what people do after a hunt,some don't flush with fresh water after a hunt,some don't ever remove the coil cover and clean the coil and let it dry before putting it back on after a hunt,like the Cz20 i got,i had to cut the coil cover off,piece by piece,and get new cover's,because i am all most certin the guy that owned it prior, never removed the cover,happy hunting in paradise bro,Earl

beach hunter

Your opinion is OK ,however i know different,tip it's only a matter of time before you knock the knob post's off,on YOUR set up,ya better get a knob guard ,repairs are over 300 clams, and 1 month turn around time,from Minelab ,happy hunting,Earl

anderson carbon fiber tall man, over the elbow mount with a anderson carbon fiber lower, end of story,,,,GL HH

Exactly... those painted jobs by both companies are not worth it... once sand gets inside the shaft its as good as superr gluing it.

FOR Craig

This is my favorate set up,a special made 45 inch plugger strait shaft for my Surf Pi Df,i love it,however i just know Craig will give it a thumb's down :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Howboutit

Attachments

• 20110602_1.JPG
    20110602_1.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 2,868
  • 20120129_1.JPG
    20120129_1.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 2,942
Last edited:
This is my favorate set up,a special made 45 inch plugger strait shaft for my Surf Pi Df,i love it,however i just know Craig will give it a thumb's down :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Howboutit

Do you know why your plugger shafts stay so nice? I do... your detectors never leave the bedroom :laughing:

Cfmct-pi Reply

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:,3 week's at treasure beach Florida coming up Craig,have you ever left CT ? :lol:and saw Sugar sand beach's like PI Joe and I :shock::tropical: Wanta go i can hook you up with a Ocean front beach room secluded,1 1/2 miles north for about 600 a week :?::?::?::?::?: That's if you can ever get away from CT :roll:

Back
Top Bottom