Help with the F2

Coin Machine

Yes, Im a Noob..first day.

I don't understand whats going on.

I took quarters and put onm the ground. No interference, strength on its lowest setting. Im getting 63-85 hits on the coin.

Dimes are at 73-85.

Its jumping all over the place..kinda all the time.

I even cancelled the lowest settings...still jumping everywhere.

Its chattering so bad. A plain quarter, on the grass, nothing around, and its all over the place.

I went to the park twice today..to try it out..it was horrible...it was chattering so bad no matter the settings. I'm better off digging at random..or so I feel. The videos on-line seem simple...but this is NOT what Im experiencing. The "chatter" is like a show tune is playing...random beeps, the LCD screen shows everything from lowest to highest...it makes no sense.
Ive check the batteries, the connections....the only thing I can think of is thats its broken.

I don't have a video camera, but my kid has an iPhone. maybe I should video it and post it to Youtube. Im slightly distraught..I thought Id giv it a chance but this is nuts.

Make sure you notch out iron, that's a big factor. Maybe lower the sensitivity if the problem is still there. When you swing does your rod go and then the coil swings? Try tightening the plastic nut things and make sure the coil wire is nice and wound around the rod

Make sure you notch out iron, that's a big factor. Maybe lower the sensitivity if the problem is still there. When you swing does your rod go and then the coil swings? Try tightening the plastic nut things and make sure the coil wire is nice and wound around the rod

Ben there, done that...no avail.

Its everywhere.....I can't settle it down. It makes no sense.
A MD that just stated if ANY metal was there would be better,,,this thing is crazy...I'm disappointed...but i keep thinking.."I just don;'t know what Im doing"

But this is an entry level MD...Ill see "if: I can make a vid..it nuts.

I say forget the numbers....just observe the icons at the top.
If it locks on a desirable target, dig that rascal up.
Use the numbers for depth reading only.
Good luck.........see ya yardhunter

I just went outside and cancelled everything BUT Dimes and quarters, then searched a clean area of my yard...Dimes and Quarters EVERYWHERE.

Its gotta be broken....but how do I tell...??

I just took it outside agin.

Pressed Pwr for several seconds.
Put it on lowest settings

And it started playiong "Take me out to the Ballgame" over a clean section of my yard..it's says I have everything from iron to pure silver out there.

Somethings wrong.

If it were me I would go out in the middle of a huge crop field with no power lines near by. If it acts the same way there there is probably something wrong with it. It sounds like something is wrong but I can't say for sure. How many places have you taken the MD too that it has acted like this? Some people say that there smart phone makes it act up as well as their WIFI at their house. I have Wifi and carry a cell phone and it has not affected mine. My parents have some low power lines that go over there back yard and the first timed I turned it on there it went absolutely haywire. I moved to the side of the house and it was fine. The fact your's acted up at your house and the park tells me it could be a problem but it is also possible that you had EFI issues in both places, that is why I said try the middle of an open field, with your cell phone off.

sounds like its either broken or youre close to electrical power lines (underground or overhead) EMI.??

No..nothing around. Same thing at the park today....crazy beeping, all signals, random.....frustrating, esp. for a first time MD'r.

I'll call Fisher support in the am.....

I'm a tech guy..so Im used to electronics. I thought at first I just had to learn...but this is crazy.

Ill borrow the wifes iPhone and try to upload a vid tomorrow am, so you don't think Im nuts or doing something wrong.

This ALWAYS happens to me..I get THE bad unit......

If it were me I would go out in the middle of a huge crop field with no power lines near by. If it acts the same way there there is probably something wrong with it. It sounds like something is wrong but I can't say for sure. How many places have you taken the MD too that it has acted like this? Some people say that there smart phone makes it act up as well as their WIFI at their house. I have Wifi and carry a cell phone and it has not affected mine. My parents have some low power lines that go over there back yard and the first timed I turned it on there it went absolutely haywire. I moved to the side of the house and it was fine. The fact your's acted up at your house and the park tells me it could be a problem but it is also possible that you had EFI issues in both places, that is why I said try the middle of an open field, with your cell phone off.

This is why I went to the park...because there's NOTHING around...nothing. I did have my cell...

At the park..it was nuts too...ecery signal, every type..it just made no sense...even on LOW strength.
I feel bad, cause I don't know what Im doing, but I compare to the Youtube vids and its not even CLOSE....

I'll do my best to upload a vid..

F2's are very sensitive to EMI. It's possible that both places had EMI and your machine is just getting interference. Seriously, the F2 flipps-out and chatters in the presence of EMI, which can come from cell phones, home security systems, power lines, etc...

Hold the coil stationary about 1 foot over the ground, and if you get rapid beeping, you've got either EMI or a faulty coil/unit.

Since yours was chattering in the middle of nowhere I would say faulty, but who knows. I get EMI in funny places from home security systems.

F2's are very sensitive to EMI. It's possible that both places had EMI and your machine is just getting interference. Seriously, the F2 flipps-out and chatters in the presence of EMI, which can come from cell phones, home security systems, power lines, etc...

Hold the coil stationary about 1 foot over the ground, and if you get rapid beeping, you've got either EMI or a faulty coil/unit.

Since yours was chattering in the middle of nowhere I would say faulty, but who knows. I get EMI in funny places from home security systems.

What happens when hovering above a coin placed on concrete?

It sounds like what my F2 does when there's interference. There could be underground electrical wires or other interference that might not be obvious. Try it in different areas to see if it changes anything. You could also try new batteries. If not then maybe there is something wrong.

So DON'T move it side to side and see if it chatters?

Suggestions

1) Try a set of brand new Energizers. Nothing guarantees new batterys are good. Low batterys will do what you are describing.

2) Tighten the cable retaining nut. Make sure it isn't cross threaded.

3) Secure the wire by wrapping it around the shaft. Use the velcro ties provided. Leave a little slack at top and bottom for adjustment of coil and attaching cable.

It sounds like what my F2 does when there's interference. There could be underground electrical wires or other interference that might not be obvious. Try it in different areas to see if it changes anything.

Yes..its only been ONE day, and only in two places.....but...???

I'll call Fisher tomorrow, but before I do, Ill head out to the park..theres a soccer field there that is HUGE. If it doesn't work there, it won't ever work. Ill bring my own targets too....

It is sensitive to EMI but to me it is not too bad. I have powerlines across the street from my house and I can get 15 feet from them (just across the street) and I see no interference. If I get directly underneath them it will go nuts. But once I get 20 feet or more away from them it goes away. Don't get the impression that you will not be able to get within a mile of anything electronic. It is not that bad if everything is working correctly with your machine.

What happens when hovering above a coin placed on concrete?

It depends on whether you're getting EMI or not.

I did a test in an area with EMI, to see if detecting was possible. With a quarter on the ground, I passed it with the coil at various speeds and distances and found it to be nearly invisible to the detector. So EMI will not only make a lot of beeping noise, but prevent you from finding anything even if you can see it on the ground.

After that test I decided to avoid any places with EMI.

So DON'T move it side to side and see if it chatters?
Yes, EMI will cause beeping whether the coil is moving or not. That's how you can tell you're getting interference.

Back
Top Bottom