Bird Band Question

5 mile

Forum Supporter
I recently found a bird band from a racing pigeon, not uncommon to find these.

The code (DMI), traces it from Des Moines Iowa, 550 mi away.

Unless these groups traveled with their birds, this pigeon really left the nest.

Is it common to find these from those kind of distances? Its not a migratory band.

I recently found a bird band from a racing pigeon, not uncommon to find these.

The code (DMI), traces it from Des Moines Iowa, 550 mi away.

Unless these groups traveled with their birds, this pigeon really left the nest.

Is it common to find these from those kind of distances? Its not a migratory band.

Racing pigeons are trained for specific distance races but these races can cover distances of a little as 62 miles to as far as 620.
100 kilometers up to 1000.
This might have been one of those long distance types.

Racing pigeons are trained for specific distance races but these races can cover distances of a little as 62 miles to as far as 620.
100 kilometers up to 1000.
This one was probably one of those long distance types.

I see, thx Digger, a one way ticket too, unless he lost his band.

Or it escaped its slave masters and somehow got rid of that band, met a mate, had babies and lived happily ever after.

Attachments

• families-pigeon-pigeon_toed-metatarsus_adductus-intoeing-pigeon_toed-pfon647_low.jpg
    families-pigeon-pigeon_toed-metatarsus_adductus-intoeing-pigeon_toed-pfon647_low.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 95
I've found 2 of them in the past. Link about one of them http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=204157&highlight=pigeon Both of them traced back to the same place not all that far away (few miles) from where found. I almost hope I don't find anymore since out of both of those I found the owners had passed away already. It was really interesting to be able to find the person who had actually issued the tags and find out where the bird lived as well. One of the reasons I find dectecting so interesting is when even what is a useless piece of junk to most people has a story behind and when you find out what it was it adds a value to an object that is not monetary. I still have the 2 bands and just to be able to tell that story gives them meaning and out of the trash bin.

I've found 2 of them in the past. Link about one of them http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=204157&highlight=pigeon Both of them traced back to the same place not all that far away (few miles) from where found. I almost hope I don't find anymore since out of both of those I found the owners had passed away already. It was really interesting to be able to find the person who had actually issued the tags and find out where the bird lived as well. One of the reasons I find dectecting so interesting is when even what is a useless piece of junk to most people has a story behind and when you find out what it was it adds a value to an object that is not monetary. I still have the 2 bands and just to be able to tell that story gives them meaning and out of the trash bin.

I once found a Canadian goose Avise band and it is still one of the coolest things I have ever dug especially because you can actually track the history of these things.
Pretty rare, these are prized by hunters that bag birds wearing these, they can go for surprising money on eBay and many are collected or used to enhance the looks of hobby related items like bird calls.
Tracing mine back it was 27 years old, placed on a young male in North Dakota while it was still too young to fly.
Got up into the air sometime because he traveled 700 miles to where I found it in some small woods next to a park.

Attachments

• bird band (1).jpg
    bird band (1).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 83
Thats really a cool find there 5mile! I found one off a Canada Goose that was banded up in Hudson Bay...I called the number on the tag, gave them the info where I found it, and they sent me a neat certificate about the bird, where it was tagged and when etc...I got to keep the band too...It was a good experience learning about bird bands...The Wife likes to wear it as a ring...

Attachments

• birdband.jpg
    birdband.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 86
I found a bird band last year and was able to find information about the pigeon by google.
Ended up belonging to a member or a club in northern Michigan. Found the band in central Indiana. Was able to trace to owner who wanted the location where I found it. The owners like to complete their information about each bird.

Back
Top Bottom