Just ordered two detectors for my sons. Looking for some feedback.

Joe Mags

Hello everyone,

My twelve year old put a detector on his Xmas list and my wife and I decided to order him one. I settled on the Whites Treasure Master. We got to thinking that it might be a good idea to get another one for his younger brother (ten) so they can go out together and not argue too much :-) We wanted something less expensive for the 2nd unit and I ordered the MPx from Kellyco on black Friday for $55 shipped on closeout. Any feedback about these two units would be appreciated. I'm a little worried about the MPx since it was so cheap. Will it be any good at all? Costco has the Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 on sale for $80 bucks with a pinpointer included. I could stretch to that in place of the MPx if you think it's a much better unit for another $30 dollars give or take.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

My twelve year old put a detector on his Xmas list and my wife and I decided to order him one. I settled on the Whites Treasure Master. We got to thinking that it might be a good idea to get another one for his younger brother (ten) so they can go out together and not argue too much :-) We wanted something less expensive for the 2nd unit and I ordered the MPx from Kellyco on black Friday for $55 shipped on closeout. Any feedback about these two units would be appreciated. I'm a little worried about the MPx since it was so cheap. Will it be any good at all? Costco has the Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 on sale for $80 bucks with a pinpointer included. I could stretch to that in place of the MPx if you think it's a much better unit for another $30 dollars give or take.

First of all welcome to the forum! Second It's kinda like using generic batteries over name brand. You get what you pay for. While I have no experience with either of the machines you purchased, I would be on my way to Costco right now lol I've used a bounty hunter and found both silver and gold but the fact you get a ok pointer too will save your kids (and the turf) a lot of stress. HH!

Thanks cellrdwellr.

I know exactly what you're saying. I didn't have any unrealistic expectations for the Mpx, I was just hoping it would be some fun for my little guy. That being said, I've decided to grab that Bounty Hunter from Costco for my younger son instead of the Mpx. It just seems to be a much better unit for just $35 bucks more and they'll have a pinpointer too. I'll probably gift the Mpx to someone else in the extended family. Thanks again. I'm looking forward to posting our first finds right after Xmas :-)

That being said, I've decided to grab that Bounty Hunter from Costco for my younger son instead of the Mpx. It just seems to be a much better unit for just $35 bucks more and they'll have a pinpointer too. \

Smart move! Stay with the major brands and you really wont go wrong. Whites, Minelab, Fisher, Garrett, XP, Tesoro.... ETC

My nephew was here Thanksgiving day with a Bounty Hunter detector from Costco, I'm not sure of the model number but probably the same based on the price. He did okay with that BH finding lots of shallow targets, nails, wire, spent bullet casings, a bird band, and a sprinkler head or two. Even the "free" pinpointer worked surprisingly well. He is younger than your sons but I think the Bounty Hunter was a good choice for him.

Thanks everyone. I was able to grab the Bounty Hunter at Costco last night. I don't see how you can go wrong for $80 and it includes a pinpointer. My ten year with the BH and the twelve year old with the Treasure Master should make a good team. I hope we'll have some finds to post not too long after Xmas :-)

Thank you again and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom