A little disapointed with the F-75 today

The Wolf

Elite Member
For the last few months I've been usining my new NEL coil for my F-75 with pretty awesome results and went back to a spot today that skunked me a few weeks ago. After chatting with a few members here, I thought maybe since there is a ton of iron at this spot, the good targets are getting masked. After having a hard time getting any signals today, I switched back to the smaller stock coil. The grass was up 6" or so, which usually isn't a problem with my machine in Boost mode. The grass was also a bit wet. Now I didn't have any "chatty" problems with the NEL today, but with the stock coil, the machine wouldn't quiet down for anything. If I stood still, the machine didn't chatter, but when I started moving and brushing it throigh the grass, I couldn't hear any solid hits, only chatter. The ground isn't hot, theres no EMI, so what gives? When I moved out of the tall grass, the machine was fine and I ended up with a few keepers for the day. I've never had a problem with grass. Anybody have any ideas or feedback? Thanks,

Seems like a moisture problem...The bottom of my 11" coil is worn out to the point of the seam being visible all the way around. I've repeatedly filled and covered the seam with JB Weld, but if I try and hunt wet grass with it, it falses terribly. Once it dries out, it works pretty well, but still has some falsing. Look for a crack or split in the coil, damage to the wire where it connects to the coil, and make sure the connector at the control box is tight. Also, a too loose or too tight wrap of the coil wire near the coil can cause falsing issues...

I had a similar problem with my detector as I determined that the problem was the wet grass, this because once I went to dry grass the problem disappeared. It seems that wet grass and moving the grass with the coil causes some kind of interference.

Back
Top Bottom