If flu deaths were counted like COVID-19 deaths, the worst recent flu season evidently killed 15,620 Americans

Rudy

Admin
From an article in The Week.

The U.S. now has more than 63,000 confirmed COVID-19 deaths, and most experts say that's almost certainly an undercount. Still, if you compare that number to the 2017-18 flu season, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates killed 61,000 people, it looks like COVID-19 might be similar to a bad flu. But the data so far show that this new coronavirus is much more lethal than the flu, and Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust has an explanation.

Faust, a Harvard Medical School instructor and emergency physician at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, wrote in Scientific American that he started wondering about the flu-to-COVID comparisons when it occurred to him that in nearly eight years of hospital work, "I had almost never seen anyone die of the flu." Neither had any of the colleagues he called around the country. So he did some research, and this is what he found:

The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers do not represent counted flu deaths per year; they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC's reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths — that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus — has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620. [Jeremy Faust, Scientific American]

So in an apples-to-apples comparison, matching the second week of April's COVID-19 deaths to the worst week of the past seven flu seasons, "the novel coronavirus killed between 9.5 and 44 times more people than seasonal flu," Faust writes.

You can read Dr. Faust's article in the Scientific American here: https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...u-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

Very interesting. What I do know in So.Cal for a FACT is that the numbers continue to rise and that the vast majority of the population here hasn't been tested yet.

Very interesting. What I do know in So.Cal for a FACT is that the numbers continue to rise and that the vast majority of the population here hasn't been tested yet.

Whereabouts are you? I am in Riverside County.

Whereabouts are you? I am in Riverside County.

O.C.....Riverside has the worst numbers I see compared to SD , LA , The Valley , Ventura. I think you've had some bigger numbers coming out of nursing homes than other counties too.

O.C.....Riverside has the worst numbers I see compared to SD , LA , The Valley , Ventura. I think you've had some bigger numbers coming out of nursing homes than other counties too.

We are right behind LA County. Our situation as of last night is:

Tested 51,228
Confirmed 4,079
Currently Hospitalized 214 Includes 85 in ICU
Deaths 156
Recovered 1,693

A doctor told a friend of mine if he didn’t exercise he would be taking 10 years off his life. The patient replied, “perfect, the last 10 years a Of my life are the exact 10 years I am trying to lose.”

Many deaths are of the elderly already stricken with severe illness and it is “THOSE” years many are trying to ”lose”.

Over 80% of PA’s deaths are those who lived in nursing or personal care homes.

Can I go back to work please?

I'm still unsure about how all these numbers are being calculated. The vast majority of people who have died from COVID have had other pre existing medical conditions. So say you have bad asthma, get the flu and die, do they report that as dying from the flu or dying from asthma that may of got triggered by the flu? Now if you have asthma and get COVID and die that is definitely going to be called a COVID death. Maybe I'm wearing a tinfoil hat but I am very skeptical of these numbers and how they are getting put together.

I'm still unsure about how all these numbers are being calculated. The vast majority of people who have died from COVID have had other pre existing medical conditions. So say you have bad asthma, get the flu and die, do they report that as dying from the flu or dying from asthma that may of got triggered by the flu? Now if you have asthma and get COVID and die that is definitely going to be called a COVID death. Maybe I'm wearing a tinfoil hat but I am very skeptical of these numbers and how they are getting put together.

We will never have accurate numbers, especially from earlier when they weren't testing, but just going by the symptoms and just like the flu this is much rougher on the old and infirm. I don't think the exact numbers are all that important to the doctors and scientists trying to figure this out, the press is wanting numbers for headlines and the politicians want numbers to either make themselves look good or the other guy look bad.

Some numbers I trust a little more are from the USS Roosevelt over 5000 crew members in the exact opposite of social distancing and "only" 1100 get covid makes me think it might not be as contagious as once feared. With only one death it's encouraging that for someone young and fit enough to serve it might not be as deadly as once feared.

I'll put my tinfoil hat on... why isn't the media reporting that obesity is the largest common factor in covid deaths. Could it be all that advertising money from junk and fast food?

The numbers can be presented all different ways by the so called "experts" to try to sway what people will believe. We're being constantly bombarded with info and have no idea what is fact and what is fiction, not to mention that a lot of what's said is strictly a guess or an estimate.

If someone comes up with some sort of vaccine or at least something they claim to be one, there is going to be some very rich people out there.

Mr. Bill Gates being one of them.....

He is already rich and has been giving a lot of his wealth to philanthropy.

If someone comes up with some sort of vaccine or at least something they claim to be one, there is going to be some very rich people out there.

Moderna just got cleared for phase 2 trials of their mRNA vaccine technology and has been put on the Fast track by the FDA.

A doctor told a friend of mine if he didn’t exercise he would be taking 10 years off his life. The patient replied, “perfect, the last 10 years a Of my life are the exact 10 years I am trying to lose.”

Many deaths are of the elderly already stricken with severe illness and it is “THOSE” years many are trying to ”lose”.

Over 80% of PA’s deaths are those who lived in nursing or personal care homes.

Can I go back to work please?

Your'e a real softie when it comes to old people huh?
Remember... you'll be old someday too.

Your'e a real softie when it comes to old people huh?
Remember... you'll be old someday too.

Whenever I get the younger generation giving me any guff about me being an "old" man , I tell them this : At least I made it this far , and in all probability with your attitude....you won't.

He is already rich and has been giving a lot of his wealth to philanthropy.

Moderna just got cleared for phase 2 trials of their mRNA vaccine technology and has been put on the Fast track by the FDA.

And he'll become even richer. Not holding that against him.

Back
Top Bottom