anyone remember times before UPS deliveries?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have fleeting memories of the green and red Railroad Express Agency trucks.
The primary memory is an old man carrying a package from the truck to houses very, very, very slowly.

I am guessing that is where they retired older railroad workers. There slowness was in contrast to our younger UPS, FedX and Prime drivers who walk briskly to your door. Heck the Prime drivers around here even sprint from truck to door.

Attachments

• reatrucks.jpg
    reatrucks.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 228
Railway Express...yes! I even have a picture of our REA terminal, which was razed in the 80s.

Attachments

• Railway Express depot MC.jpg
    Railway Express depot MC.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
How long ago was that? All I remember, at 57, is that life was more laid back before I phonz and am a zon!

I remember what it was like long before Fedex, Ups etal existed. Our mail came addressed to us at a specific small town. We lived in the country. There was no address needed as the mail man knew every home on his extensive route.

I worked for them

for 4 years in Gardner Ma. back in the late 60s early 70s.

My duties over that time was delivery truck driver, only semi operator, dock foreman, only armed surveillant and part time cashier.

They shipped every thing you could you could think of from live rats, 100s of lbs. of gold scrap, tombstones, parakeets and other birds for Woolworths and other 5 and dime stores, hunting dogs, lots of guns. lots and lots of guns.Cages full from H&R for military, naval radar components. Buster Brown took over all that LCL freight. They are the best in freight moving logistics

As life moved on I realized REA was without question the poorest run operation
from the top down.

Regrets? I didn't stock up on all the new (REA EXPRESS) and all the older
(RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY) signs that went to the dump.

for 4 years in Gardner Ma. back in the late 60s early 70s.

My duties over that time was delivery truck driver, only semi operator, dock foreman, only armed surveillant and part time cashier.

They shipped every thing you could you could think of from live rats, 100s of lbs. of gold scrap, tombstones, parakeets and other birds for Woolworths and other 5 and dime stores, hunting dogs, lots of guns. lots and lots of guns.Cages full from H&R for military, naval radar components. Buster Brown took over all that LCL freight. They are the best in freight moving logistics

As life moved on I realized REA was without question the poorest run operation
from the top down.

Regrets? I didn't stock up on all the new (REA EXPRESS) and all the older
(RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY) signs that went to the dump.

Great story Gil!

Ah, the "Good Old Days"! :cool3:

Not sure if REA was out here on the West Coast? I remember a whole bunch of smaller local delivery companies.

In my hometown back in the 1950's I remember seeing REA carts/wagons near the train station with packages loaded on them. The photo is of the train station. I don't know why the pic is inverted.....:lol:

Attachments

• Image (37).jpg
    Image (37).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 129
Back
Top Bottom