First V Nickel, Barber Dime, Merc, War Nickel

MDC

Forum Supporter
Inspired by a post from a fellow Southern California detectorist, Jamflicker, I headed out this morning to a location I have not detected at before in search of the elusive SoCal Silver. Good news is I found three silvers, and was SO close to a dime trifecta (yes this is good news because this new spot is gonna be hit hard)! The bad news is I gashed the Mercury head dime and cannot read the date, AND the silver coins are in rough shape which I've found is the norm for the soil here.

1893 "V" Nickel (my oldest US soil find to date!)
1903 Barber dime
19??S Mercury head dime
1943S war nickel

Found all these coins in the same hole however the Merc and war nickel were on one side of a large root and closer to the surface while the "V" nickel and Barber dime were lower and on the other side.

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 465
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 394
Nice hunt. Let's hope the Merc. isn't a D mint mark. That way you won't keep yourself awake at night wondering if it was a 1916. : ) Good luck on future hunts.

Double wow! Great finds and to get them all in one hole is awesome. It is flattering to know I inspired you, thanks. I think there are a lot of great finds to be had here in California. Research, persistence and having a good group of hunting buddies is the key. Congrats, Jason

Oh yeah, SOS pads work great on cleaning nickels.

MDC,

Great finds. You did very well on your turf hunt. If you ever need hunting buddies or are up this way let us know and we will have to get together.

Jason is a really good dude and has inspired me to get better as well.

Hope to see you out there soon,

Greg

P.S. email me or Jason on how to get those dimes looking nice. Alot of ours come out looking that way as well.

Back
Top Bottom