Any info on these stoneware bottle pieces?

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Not sure if stoneware is the correct term. Are these old? Any date range or other info appreciated. Found at a tear out. Thanks!

Attachments

• FF309DE9-6D73-44AA-B4E0-B7FBC1D046BD.jpg
    FF309DE9-6D73-44AA-B4E0-B7FBC1D046BD.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 1D7D9F88-141E-4053-9F83-C56EB38BA662.jpg
    1D7D9F88-141E-4053-9F83-C56EB38BA662.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 264
Hi GroundSweeper! Yes, stoneware is the correct term for your broken bottles. They definitely are old, in the upper photo, the middle example with the more flared lip dates from the late 1860's up until the mid 1880's or so. The example on the left with the more tapered collared top is just a bit newer, dating from the late 1880's until about 1900. Many of these held Ginger Beer or other beverages, and were often ballast on the old sailing ships coming over from England / Scotland etc. The bottles and other products were offloaded here in America, and the ships' holds filled with goods from America to head back to Europe. These stoneware bottles were often reused by American bottling companies who would put their paper label on the bottle. Hope this is of help, and they are certainly original and old!

Looks like turn of last century dump. If whole fun to dig for sure. Nothing I see in your pile would carry much value if intact but still collectible. Yes stoneware would be correct term. Your bottles contained likely an ale type beverage.

Hi GroundSweeper! Yes, stoneware is the correct term for your broken bottles. They definitely are old, in the upper photo, the middle example with the more flared lip dates from the late 1860's up until the mid 1880's or so. The example on the left with the more tapered collared top is just a bit newer, dating from the late 1880's until about 1900. Many of these held Ginger Beer or other beverages, and were often ballast on the old sailing ships coming over from England / Scotland etc. The bottles and other products were offloaded here in America, and the ships' holds filled with goods from America to head back to Europe. These stoneware bottles were often reused by American bottling companies who would put their paper label on the bottle. Hope this is of help, and they are certainly original and old!

Thank you so much man! Awesome!

Looks like turn of last century dump. If whole fun to dig for sure. Nothing I see in your pile would carry much value if intact but still collectible. Yes stoneware would be correct term. Your bottles contained likely an ale type beverage.

Thank you too! These pieces where found in a dirt pile dug by a bucket loader(?) from a 20’ or so deep hole at a playground tear out. Interesting :)

I’m going to keep the two top pieces just for fun.

Appreciate the info very much, thank you.

Now you just have to find where the main dump might be, where the whole bottles are buried. I wrote the book on Ginger Beers back in 1984 which brought Ginger Beer bottle collecting to the high point which it is today. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/illustrated-stone-ginger-beer-1851223484 Then a fellow collector continued on and produced a book on glass Ginger Beers. Many more USA GB's have been discovered, since my books release. They are a great collectible. Google Ginger Beer Bottles.

Back
Top Bottom