• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Colonial House Detecting, Part II

Johnnyl1

I returned for the final time ot the 1770 house in CT.  Unfortunately, most of teh ground was rock hard and snow covered.  I was armed with teh ACE 250 and stock coil, and did manage to find a number of smaller open areas near the corners of the property.

I was looking for early coinage, but was unsure of how they would come up on the screen or as a tone (can anyone help me)... so I set the meter to read all targets, and focused on these small open areas.

I did notice that there was an old overgorwn walkway which I had missed the last time I was there.  This area was open, and I did hit a cache of old nails... they look hand forged to me, what do you guys think...

Other than these, nada... a few tin cans and that was it... I do like using the smaller coil much better, but am very disappointed that no coins were found... I dug almost every target I hit.

PS, I have no idea how anyone does this without the pinpointer... I mean, that tool is just a tremendous investment.

Let me know what you guys think of these nails?  Any idea how to clean them up a bit?

Attachments

• image1_166.jpg
    image1_166.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 292
Nail find

I found this one:

nail.JPG

I cleaned it with a toothbrush, soap and water, then "dipped" it in chain oil and wiped off the excess to keep it from rusting further. I would think any light oil should be fine, and shy away from the rust removing solvents.

Back
Top Bottom