selling silver eagles advice

garviso8

Elite Member
Just a question anybody try to sell silver eagles just came back from a local coindealer in my area and was told he could probably get close to spot on a hundred or so coins .....close? Why would I sell a Troy ounce of silver for less than spot. is this normal when I bought I paid spot plus a premium,and I'm being offered close to spot 😮

Even dealers pay a premium . Spot is for truck loads . Direct
i would say 21 bucks is a fair price both ways private sale

Just a question anybody try to sell silver eagles just came back from a local coindealer in my area and was told he could probably get close to spot on a hundred or so coins .....close? Why would I sell a Troy ounce of silver for less than spot. is this normal when I bought I paid spot plus a premium,and I'm being offered close to spot 😮

You gotta think, he's in it to make money. He'll take your close to spot silver and turn it around for spot plus a premium again. If he spends a half hour to buy your silver at spot and sells it with a $10 premium, he's lost money on his time. Besides, you're supposed to stack them eagles! :D

You gotta think, he's in it to make money. He'll take your close to spot silver and turn it around for spot plus a premium again. If he spends a half hour to buy your silver at spot and sells it with a $10 premium, he's lost money on his time. Besides, you're supposed to stack them eagles! :D

+1

They are only actually worth, what someone is willing to pay you. When you buy, you are always looking to pay as little as you can get away with, you shop around for the best price. Most business know that if you are selling, and looking to them to buy, you want a quick sale, need the cash, and willing to let go of some of that value. They sound sympathetic, like they are going to do you a favor (ever buy a used car?), but they are really gauging how desperately you need to make the deal.

Best price will come from a fellow hoarder, who sees an upward trend in silver prices, and want's your silver, before the price jumps up to where he considers selling.

Unless I am desperate for cash, the last place I'd sell would be to a coin dealer. Why? Because he has overhead costs.
Much better deals to be found through private offers.

You can list and sell them here on the site too...some here are stackers...sure theres shipping involved etc, but its a valid option for you...

I read just the other day that only 1% of the population of the US actually knows the value of PM's and has some on hand...also, theres only @2weeks supply in the sales channel for fresh minted Gold/Silver coins...most LCS's buy and trade and sell to and from the local residents and order very few fresh coins from the mints...

So...If all of this is true, one can reasonable extrapolate what PM's would do in a crisis situation when fiat paper/electrons are in peril...

Thats the idea anyway...plus, its a really nice feeling to hold a big silver round...
Mud

Call around to several coin shops and see how your dealer compares. There are a few rounds that I would not sell for less than spot or spot +1.

ASE, Maple Leafs, JM rounds or Prospector rounds. the premiums are too high not to accept less than spot. Reputable dealers should pony up the extra. Even at spot+1 they will sell at spot+ 4 or 5 and make a profit. They sit on thousands of these coins in their safes and know what they paid for them. A good relationship with a coin dealer can also make the difference on what kind of price they offer too.

If you don't need the cash right now I would wait and see what happens as we get closer to November.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks

Greg

ive been payin close attention to silver for a few yrs....and i think for quite a few yrs in the future silver is a loser investmen...
unless u leave it to your great grandchildren
It is a lousy investment. It doesn't pay premiums. Good insurance though.
I pay life, auto, and homeowners insurance, thousands of dollars per year. Want to talk lousy investment? Why not insure against inflation? A silver quarter bought a gallon of gas 50 yeas ago. The value of that same silver quarter will buy a gallon of gas today.

I'd say list them on here and try to find someone willing to pay as close to spot as you can get. That's the thing with any precious metal, easy to buy hard to sell without taking a hit...

ive been payin close attention to silver for a few yrs....and i think for quite a few yrs in the future silver is a loser investmen...
unless u leave it to your great grandchildren

I hear this a lot from people who don't understand that buying silver is a hedge against inflation. Inflation continues to devalue the dollar, which only increases the value of PMs. The silver I bought in 2008 for $11 is now worth almost $20, not taking into consideration eight years of inflation and Quantitative easing. Loser investment? I think not. When the dollar collapses (and it will), the only people with anything of value are those with physical PMs and food and water. I know which group I want to be in...

Back
Top Bottom