• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Scoop for beach Question

Brizors

So I have a RTG Lightweight Stainless Scoop and I use it at the beach here in southern California. I use it in the wet sand and dry sand. I've noticed when using it in the wet sand that the wetter the sand is, the more hard packed it is and the harder it is to shake the sand free from the scoop to get to the target.

My scoop is a cylinder and it does not flare out, it's a simple cylinder with holes that are slightly smaller than a dime, that is all.

What scoop should I get that is easier to shake the wet sand out of, digs deeper with less effort, and that isn't too much heavier than my current scoop, the all metal; RTG Lightweight Stainless Scoop.

Thank you all in advance for reading and any suggestions!

-Brian

Hopefully not more than $200, are there scoops really more expensive than that?!

Yes sir, if your budget is $200 you can find. Sunspot Stealth Scoop used in that range if you have time to wait, they also have a lifetime warranty. New, you could look at Stavr Scoops in the $200 or less range.

I recently acquired a Sunspot Stealth 920i and it is a piece of art and a tank.
aac397dc231b3e6979b8e77b61ee8357.jpg

Its hard to shake wet sand through any scoop...If you cant flush pump it in the water, then dont even try to shake wet sand through the holes...

Just dig and dump off to the side, kick and scatter and sweep...thats the fastest and easiest way....unearth the target and isolate it into a small area...You can do this in the dark with no lights even...dig, kick, scatter, sweep....your ears become your eyes in the dark..

Dry sand is no problem, wading in the water isnt either, but this is how you work the wet...

Its a good subject though...speedy and efficient target extraction methods dont get a lot of press and its a HUGE quantifyer to success in this Sport..
Mud.

Stealths

Have RTGs, Stavr, SunSpot, I would say the 920Ix would work for you, they are more water hunting heavy duty, Earl The 4th from the right !

Attachments

• P1000473.JPG
    P1000473.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 262
If you have a scrap yard near by and someone who works with metal you can save a ton of money. Here is a thread from a scoop I had built a couple years ago. Initially the piece of SS was going to be $20.00 but they ended up giving it to me free of charge, $8.00 for a handle. The local high school set up their CNC to punch out the holes, friend of mine bent it and then welded it.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=162702

Back
Top Bottom