why did this happen

curly maple

my grand mother was born in 1898 and lived at this location till 1912 and i know the peaple who own the land and asked permission to detect here witch they said yes. so i get there with my detector yesterday and try to figure where the old house sat its all grown up with trees. i find a depression in the ground and try there first well my detecter a prizm 5 starts going off like crazy it says copper and its ringing 2 feet from the ground i am thinking i found the motherload :shock: i start digging the detecter says its right on the surface but i cant find any thing so i keep trying the detector but the thing still keeps ringing with the detector 2 feet in the air and by the time i get within 8 inches of the ground it says its on the surface and shows the penny icon. so i keep making my hole wider and finally hit some metal i dig it up and its an old barrel ring about 14 inches in diameter. so my question is why did it act like this is it because i was in the middle of a circle. by the way my grandma died only a couple of years ago at almost a 103 years old.

curly maple

Curly... Its the nature of the beast... Big iron acts that way.. Same thing happened to me on the beach... I had a hit and it said dollar and I said cool :) 4 feet later I found a old iron pipe running down to the water. Our detectors take their best guesses and sometimes they are wrong ;)

When you have a cylindrical or ring shaped object, they can do funny things. A finger ring will read differently if it has a crack or separation than it would if the circle was complete. Larger ring objects do funny things because of the continuous electronic flow around their perimeter. Just the way it is.

thanks guys, hoser i will try that i guess i should learn to experiment my machine a little more.

curly maple

I have noticed that if whatever is underneath is circular it will give off a nice tone. Especially the older stuff that's been sitting in the ground.

Back
Top Bottom