Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Freshwater Shark

Default Johnny Cash Song, Heavy Freshwater Shark, Finally GOLD

You know the Johnny Cash song. One Piece at a Time. Well he is building a Cadillac. I happen to be building a 1950 Plymouth. Got the hood ornament, Mirror, one bumper gravel guard and a few other pieces that might not go to it as they have no numbers but still different finds. Also found a Plymouth key.

The freshwater shark weighs about 10lbs. Looks like a black tipped.

I was excited about the gold. FIRST blue star sapphire ring I have found. 14K, 6.56 grams.

I also found a 1935 Merc and a 1950 wheat. This was my third dive. Yesterday I found a few odds and ends but had to quit early as I was being run over by boats.

I thought of an idea with that one also. Cops can shoot folks trying to run over them with automobiles. I don't want to put holes in their boats or ruin their weekend. I was thinking an automatic paint ball gun. Black, blue and red splotches would look good on a million dollar white boat don't you think?

I could then prove they were closer than 200' to me and color their world! Hear an engine pop up and have the paintball air tank in my float with the gun on top and just pull the trigger. I think that would get their attention for sure.

While we were leaving I got a call about an I-pad and an I-phone in a marina less than 5 miles away. Went there and got both in about two minutes. That added to my daily total. No idea if either can be saved but they wanted them.

A lot of bullets including two 50 cal heads. A rare find for me is a live BB cap round. My father had a BB cap rifle and the I think the bullets are hard to find. A nice Fire King white bowl, made in USA and a few other odds and ends.

Made for a great weekend.

Saturday:

Sunday:

Last edited by ScubaDetector; 09-24-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Supporter

I'm hoping to get scuba certified in two weeks. The wife is always frustrated at my costly hobbies, so I had to work some extra jobs to pay for it. Hoping to be scuba detecting next summer.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Supporter

Nice gold SD! Congrats!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $152.05 ($793.55), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 16 (45), Gold: 6 (24), .925 6 (55), Rings: 33 (173), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 09-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Elite Member

GOLD!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Nice yellow, sounds like you earned it being buzzed by boats!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:22 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Nice looking yellow! I enjoy finding bullets and casings. I find those pretty cool as well!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Supporter

I wonder if that shark is a downrigger weight.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Bagelbites View post
I wonder if that shark is a downrigger weight.
Sure is. What I don't understand is why they had a downrigger out at 7 foot deep.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
Sure is. What I don't understand is why they had a downrigger out at 7 foot deep.
Are there parts of that body of water that are deeper? My dad, while heavily intoxicated of course, was trolling with a downrigger, then forgot he had it out, and just trolled on in to shore. The weight got caught on something on the bottom, turned the boat sideways, then snapped the cable.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

Default Congrats

On the ring Scuba, how come you find all those bullets out there , 30/06 or what ?

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Bagelbites View post
Are there parts of that body of water that are deeper? My dad, while heavily intoxicated of course, was trolling with a downrigger, then forgot he had it out, and just trolled on in to shore. The weight got caught on something on the bottom, turned the boat sideways, then snapped the cable.
This lake has an average depth of 9 foot. You have to go out in it over 6 miles to get to 11 foot.

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
On the ring Scuba, how come you find all those bullets out there , 30/06 or what ?
All the 30-06 bullets are from Lewis machine guns and dated 1909 - 1918. Jenny bi-planes from Selfridge AFB (now ANG) used to target practice out there. That is where I am also finding the bombs. First bombs ever dropped out of airplanes.

The 50 cals when we find the shells are dated 1918 - 1926. NO idea what plane shot them. We think all the 45 cals are from Thompson machine guns but not sure. I call this place bullet beach. Scoopers hate it because the bullets fall through the scoop. This beach is right outside of Selfridge and is only accessible by boat. (For most people)

Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Elite Member

Default Cool

History bro., maybe the bomb's are worth something ? Of coarse i am sure you would draw attention, trying to sell them

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 09-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
History bro., maybe the bomb's are worth something ? Of coarse i am sure you would draw attention, trying to sell them
I have given three away. I have two left and I need to go back and finish digging up the third. I have it marked. I am still hoping to find a machine gun out there.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:15 PM
OldCherryPicker

That's a Beauty of a gold ring! Congrads Scuba!

Boaters! One reason I rarely do weekends in the water. The good there season is soon coming to an end!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

I don't know where to start.....the 20's era headlight is sweet! So are the chrome accents....one looks like the the side of a hood to a 30's chrysler and the other is maybe the rear find to a caddy?

That star sapphire is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Awesome, awesome hunt!!!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Supporter

You killed it Scuba! That star sapphire ring is a beauty.

The freshwater shark should sell for $10-$20... downrigger weights are something that any regular fisherman will lose on occasion...

Skippy

Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

Nice verity of subjects Scuba. I the shark a trollin weight? The god is a beauty with the blue stone. You da frog man.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by DaviDs View post
I don't know where to start.....the 20's era headlight is sweet! So are the chrome accents....one looks like the the side of a hood to a 30's chrysler and the other is maybe the rear find to a caddy?

That star sapphire is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Awesome, awesome hunt!!!
The hood ornament and the chrome piece are off a 1950 Plymouth. Che chrome piece is a gravel guard for the bumper. The hood ornament is a sailing ship.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
This lake has an average depth of 9 foot. You have to go out in it over 6 miles to get to 11 foot.
The better question then, is "What in the world did they NEED a downrigger for?" LOL

Old 09-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
The better question then, is "What in the world did they NEED a downrigger for?" LOL
I know., The channel which is where the freighters go is 17' deep. This lake is shallow.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts....5717/-82.6991

The shark was found over 7 miles from the channel. You can run aground in a lot of places in this lake if you are not careful.