I think I found my first beach silver, need advice

Thanks everybody, really cool 4th of July morning find. My goal is to clean it enough so it doesn't rub off on my fingers anymore when handling it, but to keep all the dark toning. I leave all my silvers tarnished, I like the look of dug coins in my collection. Anyone have any advice on cleaning it? I rinse and repeat with water and its still chalky and comes off on my fingers.

Nicely done. I usually try really hard to figure out what a coin is before I start cleaning it. Depending on what it is and how roasted it is = how intense the cleaning will be.

Some people just soak the coins in distilled water in a small jar.

Some use olive oil.

My go to is usually boiling hot peroxide. It doesn't effect the patina on coins as much as baking soda, vinegar, the tin foil trick etc etc.

The floor drop or light tap with a hammer works on some coins, but if its old silver I don't recommend any impact on the coins as you will end up knicking, denting, and gouging it.

way to go on first silver!!! next will be gold, congrats

I've found silver Mercs and Rosies in wet sand on a hardpan, & they're so black you can hardly tell what they are. I just use some Wrights silver cream (not too much!) which takes the black off quite nicely & leaves them looking circulated, but not shiny.

Wrap in tinfoil and soak in vinigar for a rew minutes. Then use baking soda to scrub the crust off. Being that corroded I would just use electrolysis.

If you try to crack the coating, put paper under it to save the coating remnants. You can cash it in with any silver you may have to sell. It's silver oxide. It is silver.
I've been using the foil, vinegar soak on my black silver coins. Works very well. You can also use toothpaste if you have no baking soda.

Flick it to the floor and most of the caking will come right off.

Yup. Throw it in the air, and let it fall on the sidewalk/asphalt. The jarring will persuade the cacoon to come off. Or just take another coin, (or the side of a sharp table, etc...) and scrape the edges. Then the rest usually flakes off with your fingernail

I never get tired of those black cacooned disks in my scoop .

Back
Top Bottom