my bottle digging findss, a long history

eddy1V

here some of my finds from my bottle digging world,
i have actualy been bottle digging longer than metal detecting.
i love the old victorian sites, but in the last few years, i have given my attention to the later sites 1920s/30s. some diggers frown upon these later sites. but i find them facinating, the art deco period was such a colourful era.
the site i am digging at present, which is 1920s, is a huge site , ive been digging it for the last 3 years and have hardly scratched the surface .
its 15 feet deep in some areas.
the reason i dont get out until spring is, the weeds are so high , i can get in, without being seen, not that its an illegal to dig it, but the less eyes that see it the better.
so roll on the spring ,,and out will come shovels and fork,
the first two videos i put together for you tube.
the first is a victorian site . which is a grulling dig. at the best of times.
the second is from the 20s site.
hope u enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6aZnkAnJvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpgxyfmwI8

13th018.jpg

1stone006.jpg

bcd023.jpg

bcd019.jpg

newinks4.jpg

newsales002.jpg

POISONS7-1.jpg

wilbert.jpg

booth.jpg

cobalt.jpg

eyebath1.jpg

guiness1.jpg

wood1.jpg

poisons1.jpg

benoist1.jpg

camwall.jpg

two1.jpg

dragon4.jpg

6sided2.jpg

6sided2.jpg

hr3.jpg

milk.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1458.jpg

100_1375.jpg

100_1407.jpg

100_1408.jpg

100_1368.jpg

12-06-09_150202.jpg

100_1238.jpg

100_1279.jpg

100_1169.jpg

he we go then.....where do we start...the first tip i found was only1950s. it was post world war two, and most of it was broken. but it spurred me on, the most common places you will find a tip, are brickworks/old quarries/next to old gas works/river banks/canal banks/railway cuttings , there are varied types ov tip........firstly you have the town communal tip, these are always massive in size and deep. but dont usually yield much good finds, as the folk were poor........but still worh digging , coz you never know..........next you have the vilage tips, these are a bit better, with more quality finds in.......but not in great quantities.....then you have the cream of the crop, which are grange or manor house tips...these can yield the best fineds, if you can get at them that is lol. for instance, if common fella burnt himself, he would rub goose fat on, and the pot he threw away in the communal tip would be worth no more than a pound, where as the gent from the manor house would buy his cream in a nice pot,,,,,,,these can fetch 600 pound upwards......then you have farm dumps ,these are quite easy to locate,and can be real early..............so as what to look for.....if your walkin along any footpath,and you see slithers of glass and pottery, there sure is a dump near by.....the first signs you will probably see is coal ash....all the years ov barrowing the refuse ,spillage on the way is wat yiur looking for..........its just a matter of following the path , if it ends in a overgrown area with lots of nettles ,your prob on to a winner......elderberry trees r another good sign....they thrive on tips....the tip was never far away from the house or farm, because the servant wouldnt want to push it too far ,,esp in
winter, but far enough to keep away vermin......once the hole were filled, they would cap it with soil/sand, or even bricks and rubble...then normaly they would plant trees on it, so never discount a wooded copse, at the back of a farm /house/or on outskirts of a village.....you can have finds without even digging, because the tree roots over the years would bring items to the surface.........if this happens you can tell the age of the tip without digging..............................so how can you tell the age of a bottle, the early ones as you will know were hand blown,they will have a pontil mark on the base where the blower would have snapped it off.... these bottles wont have any seams... machine made bottles came in about 1870,, and up till about 1910 they were unable to make a bottle including the top, this had to be done in a second stage, a blob of molten glass was added to the top and rolled and shaped...these bottles are known as added or blob tops,, u find these up till about 1910/15......then you have shear top bottles, these look like they have had theie tops broken off,,often with a jagged edge,,these are normaly glass ink or suace bottles...which sold for a penny in victorian times, so it was nt worth the trouble of adding a top,,,they hust bunged a cork in,,,...these date much the same as blob tops...................................and are normaly aqua in colour .....very common..........................................if you find a bottle which is ribbed ,its almost certainly a poison bottle,,,the ribs are there incase you were blind.poisons come in blue/green/aqua.and clear.anywhere from 2/16 ounze...as well as amber .......by the way... bottles pre 1910 are often crudly made air bubbles/mishapen
etc......embossing on abottle is always good,adds value. codd bottles were made up until about 1925... kids would often smash them to get the marble out, but they still do come up whole on a regular basis...blue and greens bieng the sought after, scarboro was famous for the green cod......................if you find a black one .you will be 5 grand the richer my dear...codds also have a blob top,, they were the exception, so if you find one of these the tip could be as late as 1925, where you think it could be 1910,, only other bottles will tell you.......u get hamilton bottles,these are a torpedo shape with a blob top and are pre 1900...ginger beers are another story, some can be worth mega bucks...but still come up in shed loads...

What's the best way to clean old bottles?

if the bottle has sickness,which has an opalescent hazy look. which is an attack from the acid in the soil. the only way to remove this ,is by tumbling.
if its just a general clean and the bottle is in good shape.
firstly wash as much grime from the bottle as poss. then leave it to soak for around two weeks ,in brick acid, or patio cleaner as you may call it over there,
available from most hardware stores. it does a great job.and the bottle will come out sparkling.
b carefull, when using it tho. watch for splashes to your eyes etc.hope that helps

Very nice finds! I've always thought old bottles were pretty cool. I live in a 107 year old Victorian house, and I've always wondered if there are any neat old bottles anywhere in the yard, but after living here 9 years, and digging for various projects, none have surfaced yet. :(

Love them old bottles. Thanks for sharing.

BTW: The two small, cobalt blue oblong shaped "cups", just below the blue poison bottle, are eyewash cups.

The cups came together with a bottle containing a very diluted boric acid eye wash solution. You filled the cup and placed the cup on your eye socket, look up and roll your eyes around. The shape of the cup made a nice seal around the eye socket and kept the solution from dribbling all over your face.

I would venture to guess they are from the 1940s to the 1960s era. The blue cobalt stemmed eye cups are worth more because they are older and more fragile so fewer survived.

bullblueeyecup.jpg

if the bottle has sickness,which has an opalescent hazy look. which is an attack from the acid in the soil. the only way to remove this ,is by tumbling.
if its just a general clean and the bottle is in good shape.
firstly wash as much grime from the bottle as poss. then leave it to soak for around two weeks ,in brick acid, or patio cleaner as you may call it over there,
available from most hardware stores. it does a great job.and the bottle will come out sparkling.
b carefull, when using it tho. watch for splashes to your eyes etc.hope that helps

Here it is usually called muriatic acid. Can be found at a pool supply store or any large hardware store.

Love them old bottles. Thanks for sharing.

BTW: The two small, cobalt blue oblong shaped "cups", just below the blue poison bottle, are eyewash cups.

The cups came together with a bottle containing a very diluted boric acid eye wash solution. You filled the cup and placed the cup on your eye socket, look up and roll your eyes around. The shape of the cup made a nice seal around the eye socket and kept the solution from dribbling all over your face.

I would venture to guess they are from the 1940s to the 1960s era. The blue cobalt stemmed eye cups are worth more because they are older and more fragile so fewer survived.

bullblueeyecup.jpg

hi rudy, yeah the two eyewash bathes, you refer to, were first produced in this country around the late twenties up till the fifties or there abouts.
i dug the pair from a tip of that age, the victorians ones are nicer, i have a few rare ceramic ones. which are quite nice

Hi eddy1v,

What a nice, colorful and wonderful bottle collection ;)

I only have a couple of bottles and they have a story behind them.

While stationed in Germany in 1970, in the morning I was driving through the countryside, past a recently plowed farmers field, just after a heavy rain that night and something caught my eye in the field that the sun was shinning on. I stopped my VW and went into the feild and picked up this old green bottle. It has "E BONO OPTIMUM" written on it and I was told that because of the markings on the bottle, it was made in a wooden mold and very old.

Then back in 1975, I was doing some MDing in the ghost town of Carlisle, New Mexico and in the process of digging, I unearthed a little bottle. My friend put it in his ultraviolet light box and after a few months, it started getting a purple tinge. I cannot remember what that means and perhaps you can tell us ??

GlassBottle-01.jpg

GlassBottle-02.jpg

Hi eddy1v,

What a nice, colorful and wonderful bottle collection ;)

I only have a couple of bottles and they have a story behind them.

While stationed in Germany in 1970, in the morning I was driving through the countryside, past a recently plowed farmers field, just after a heavy rain that night and something caught my eye in the field that the sun was shinning on. I stopped my VW and went into the feild and picked up this old green bottle. It has "E BONO OPTIMUM" written on it and I was told that because of the markings on the bottle, it was made in a wooden mold and very old.

Then back in 1975, I was doing some MDing in the ghost town of Carlisle, New Mexico and in the process of digging, I unearthed a little bottle. My friend put it in his ultraviolet light box and after a few months, it started getting a purple tinge. I cannot remember what that means and perhaps you can tell us ??

GlassBottle-01.jpg

GlassBottle-02.jpg

thats a lovely bottle ,and a nice olive green, i can see the applied top. and the crude markings around the base,
as far as the ultra violet,and the purple tinge. go, thats a new one on me.

I did a Google search and this is what I found about the glass turning purple.

In time, it was noticed that this glass made without lead but containing manganese was found to turn a very light lavender if placed in a sunny window or otherwise exposed over time to (ultraviolet) rays of the sun.
At some unknown point, antique dealers, no doubt beginning in the "Sunny Southwest", learned that by setting their old glass out in the sand, on their rooftops, or wherever they could get a sunny exposure, they could turn the glass REALLY purple. If they set glass out and it turned purple, it proved to them and to their customers that the glass was, indeed, made prior to ca. 1915 when most, but not all, glass companies ceased using manganese and substituted selenium as the clearing agent. Heisey, Duncan & Miller, Fostoria, Cambridge and Imperial glass companies are some exceptions.
But purpling glass in the sun took months to accomplish, even in our bright SW sunshine. As the demand by folks (who had no idea they were being sold ruined antiquities) for "sun-purpled" glass and the prices realized by the purpling dealers increased, an effort to speed up the purpling process was made. Because germicidal lamps emit ultraviolet rays which simulate those of the sun, great numbers of people began to buy glass that glowed yellow under a black light (see article), and subject the glass to the germicidal lamps (which didn't set in the western skies in the evening wasting all that valuable purpling time).
The artificial process is so simple and the financial rewards are apparently so great that the practice has spread and grown to the extent that thousands and thousands of pieces of EAPG have now been turned purple and put on the public market.

very interesting....just shows you, ya never stop learning.

i was once in an antique shop, in rochester ,kent. whereby i saw a number of ink bottles,along with some sauce bottles, BUT,they were a very deep red colour.
and the price he was askin per bottle was well over the top.
so i informed the owner that the said bottles were fake.

or moreover ,the bottles were original , but some colouring process had been applied.

for the simple reason was, an ink or sauce at that time ,would set you back 1 english penny,

and to make glass red, you needed a splash of gold ,, in the mix,

he got my point.

as I DIGGER states .mostly poison, they were also ribbed ,incase you had poor eyesight or worse blind. and of course the poor lighting in those days

I love watching the English version of Antiques Road Show and Cash In the Attic and have gotten familiar with a pottery designer called Claris Cliff. Is one of your small pitchers painted by her? I'm talking about the one in the picture of 4, on the right, with the trees and green around the top. Whenever something by her comes up it always brings a premium price, which I'm sure you are aware of since you are very knowledgeable about this passion of yours. : ) Thanks for the small lesson in bottling, I will look at them differently from now on.

Back
Top Bottom