Buried Union Payroll in Tennessee

61Cadillac

Elite Member
I just picked up the latest issue of " Lost Treasure" magazine and read a story about a Union Military Payroll that was buried on Dec 30, 1862. Here is the story.

THE BATTLE AT PARKERS CROSSROADS AND THE LOST UNION PAYROLL
On Dec 30,1862 during the WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION,Union Col C L Dunham of the 39th IOWA REGIMENT was ordered to seek out and destroy the CSA 7th TENNESSEE CALVARY BRIGADE of Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Forrest was known to never give or expect quarter (Re: FORT PILLOW MASSACRE),so before the engagement,Dunham had two Lts and a Sgt bury the payroll strongbox of $15,000 of gold US coins at a spring at Dollar Hill,where the Union had pitched camp.
The next morning,Dec 31,1862,Dunham's regiment met Forrest's at Parker Crossroads,and heavy casualities were inflicted on the Union.As Dunham ordered retreat,a rain storm flooded the area.
Dunham and his remaining men returned to Dollar Hill to retrieve the strongbox,only to find the area was "a sea of mud and standing water",and quickly departed to avoid CSA patrols .
This is one of the few lost gold stories of the Civil War to be real.
Allen Chambliss,a teenager from Huntington,Tn,who Dunham hired as a scout,witnessed the burying of the stongbox and the battle,and lived to tell this tale.
It was also confirmed in Col Dunhams report of this encounter with CSA Gen Forrest.

I would be interested to know if anyone on here is familiar with the area. Has there been a lot of development in that area since the war? Has anyone on here done any research on this or tried looking for it?

I was also curious, if the payroll was $15,000 worth of gold in 1862 what would the value on that amount of gold be now?

Ok, just answered my own question. In 1862 gold was valued at just under $19 an ounce. $15,000 would be roughly 790 ounces of gold. At today's prices of close to $1580 an ounce that would make this payroll worth close to $1,250,000!

Ok, just answered my own question. In 1862 gold was valued at just under $19 an ounce. $15,000 would be roughly 790 ounces of gold. At today's prices of close to $1580 an ounce that would make this payroll worth close to $1,250,000!

packing my gear in the car as we speak! :shock::D
but seriously, i'd be doing some major research about that! :yes:

Tallguy, I hear you on the research! I wish I lived closer, I would be researching the !!!! out of this one!

:digginahole::workforgold:There's gold in the mountains, gold in the valleys, gold in the rivers and gold in the sea! It's a great story seemingly with the back up information to prove it! I hope one of you swingers out there finds it?

Back in the 90's I went with a friend of mine to search for the buried payroll. He believed that it was on one of his relatives property. When we got there the area was flooded and we where unable to search for it. I haven't seen these people in many years.. I used to date his step daughter and after I broke up with her I stopped going around... I may be time for a visit..

My family is from Jackson, TN and I can tell ya what probably happened to the loot. The next day when the yanks and rebs were dukin it out, ol' Allen Chambliss and his kin folk all went up yonder to the spring and fetched them some yank gold. :yes:

I Have the Map to the Gold...

I have the map to that gold.
Just send me $149.95 plus $75 for S&H, and I'll get the order right out to you.

:detector::kingdances::realitycheck:

I think the "War of Northern Aggression" says it all. I'd believe it more if they used "War to Preserve the Union"!!

All depends on which side of the Mason Dixon line you were on, north of the line it was the war to preserve the Union, south of the line it was the war of Northern aggression...

That is as good of a reason to go metal detecting that I have ever heard. Hope you at least find one gold coin. Good luck

All depends on which side of the Mason Dixon line you were on, north of the line it was the war to preserve the Union, south of the line it was the war of Northern aggression...

I am from the South side of the MDL. Y'all know where God and I stand. :laughing:

Two questions! And I have studied the Civil War a lot.

1. Did they really pay the common soldier in gold. I'd think they'd use coin or script.

2. If the South fire first, why is it the War of Northern Aggression?

Two questions! And I have studied the Civil War a lot.

1. Did they really pay the common soldier in gold. I'd think they'd use coin or script.

2. If the South fire first, why is it the War of Northern Aggression?

The South fire first because of the War of Northern Aggression..........
which would you shoot at a aggressive lion or a sleeping kitten? lol

Back
Top Bottom