color of nickels

gunwolf

Elite Member
I have found that some come out of the ground with a redish oxidation, while others are black. this goes for modern clad nickels too. I dug two 1970's-80's nickels from the same park not too long ago and one was red and the other black. almost all the buffalo nickels I find are red, yesterday I found a black one. when hunting with skeeterbait last month and he found his "V" nickel it was black, so was mine I found yesterday in a totally different location.
so what's up ? ground mineralization? metal content in each coin? what are your thoughts?
not trying to sound dumb, just trying to educate myself a little more;)
002-94.jpg

001-86.jpg

Ground mineralization plays a big part in this. You can actually turn Silver black if constantly exposed to elements such as water in the soil.

ground mineralization, fertilizers, ground moisture...........i'm sure these all play a part. one town i hunt it seems like everything i find is a real red color, next town over its more of a black color......go figure

All clad seems to come out black or red. Many of my dimes and quarters come out that way too. I tumbled my buffalos to a pretty good success...

funny I started this thread... today while at my favorite park I found two buffalos, they were only 50ft apart both near tree bases..one red, one black.
they are the two far right ,I also found the shield nickel there... allthree are pretty rough with no dates.
009-17.jpg

I never dig nickels, I think I had 1 V nickel and 5 buffs in all of last year. I've yet to dig a nickel this year, including clad. They always come out chewed up too. :?:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm wondering the same thing about pennies. Some of my pennies are red, and others are clearly copper, and zinc.

well with almost $50 in clad so far ive noticed that to how a clad quarter can come out so unreconizable and a nickel would be plain as day two feet from it the ground does some strange things to coinage but ill still dig it !

Back
Top Bottom