Finds: Back on Englands terra-firma.

Doug

Elite Member
Now back into my own comfort zone after my detecting adventures in the waters of Florida whilst on vacation a couple of weeks ago.

I really do appreciate the skill required to extract finds from a water environment from our water hunting friends on the forum.

ID on silver coin courtesy of a UK forum member.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

Strange but explainable ploughing in this field?
y0jyRkS.jpg

...and the clue is here?
I9Kz4gK.jpg

Hammered silver coin.
2e1wALz.jpg

A fragment of a Roman copper-alloy/silvered twisted bracelet C.AD 320-450.
nxu3EWB.jpg

Roman coin.
easlj0c.jpg

Surface finds Roman pottery AD43-410
DSQg22s.jpg

Assorted finds.
5B2TLL8.jpg

Roman coins 2nd to 4th century.
dIi6dVx.jpg

Trade token top left.
qFlau7n.jpg

ENPS (Electro Plated Nickel Silver) spoon.
js0X16L.jpg

Edward 1st penny 1272 - 1307.

k8QW2kH.jpg

3xd11nj.jpg

qe76M5l.jpg

Must of been lots Romans having a party in that field! :shock::cool3:

Don't get the plow pattern?!?

Man Doug, whether you are digging on this side of the pond or yours, you find amazing things, and post amazing pics and story to go with them. Thank you, and congrats! Even the thought to use an imported inch scale ruler is an nice touch :lol:

So, seven hundred and some odd years ago, they made pennies out of silver? :wow: That one took a hard bend, but otherwise looks really great for it's age!

Odd plow pattern with the number 79 posted in one section. I'm guessing it's the early stage of a spectacular aerial view planting pattern?

Must of been lots Romans having a party in that field! :shock::cool3:

Don't get the plow pattern?!?

The local farmers have ploughing competitions on a regular basis on the local farms over a weekend.

They are judged on various skills within the ploughing of the designated area bearing in mind all the areas are not flat which in itself test their ability to plough a straight line at a given depth on a slope.

Last edited:
Congrats !!!! :thumbsup: …...definitely a lot of history to detect over there !

Thank you.

Man Doug, whether you are digging on this side of the pond or yours, you find amazing things, and post amazing pics and story to go with them. Thank you, and congrats! Even the thought to use an imported inch scale ruler is an nice touch :lol:

Thank you.

Some us are old school and never got to grips with metric.

Super nice taco.....congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you.

So, seven hundred and some odd years ago, they made pennies out of silver? :wow: That one took a hard bend, but otherwise looks really great for it's age!

Odd plow pattern with the number 79 posted in one section. I'm guessing it's the early stage of a spectacular aerial view planting pattern?

Thank you.

Two different ways of thinking why the penny is bent like it is.

Was it deliberate or was it hit by the plough. I think mine was deliberate but there is no way I can prove it?

The local farmers have ploughing competitions on a regular basis on the local farms over a weekend.

They are judged on various skills within the ploughing of the designated area bearing in mind all the areas are not flat which in itself test their ability to plough a straight line at a given depth on a slope.

Love it!!

The ploughing is more than just the competition. It helps aerate the ground if you ploughing in different directions. Just like you shouldn’t always mow your grass in the same pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive Mr Doug. Very cool stuff. Geeze, I'm happy if I dig a merc or even rosies! I think the only Romans that landed here opened a huge clothing store?

Great story ,pictures and finds Doug ! Congrats on the awesome finds and a great adventure .
Plowing contests...…… who would have thought ? I thought the numbered sign signified that it was a communal farm and that a particular numbered plot was a particular farmers planting space . Wrong again .

Very nice assortment of finds Doug!

Thank you for sharing:D

Thank you and you are most welcome.

Impressive Mr Doug. Very cool stuff. Geeze, I'm happy if I dig a merc or even rosies! I think the only Romans that landed here opened a huge clothing store?

Thank you.

Great story ,pictures and finds Doug ! Congrats on the awesome finds and a great adventure .
Plowing contests...…… who would have thought ? I thought the numbered sign signified that it was a communal farm and that a particular numbered plot was a particular farmers planting space . Wrong again .

Thank you.

The prize money is not huge around $50 for first but the pride they feel amongst their peers by winning the competition.

Man you keep finding some nice old pieces of history.

Thank you.

I hoping to hit the Roman sites again this week subject to weather although I'm lined up to go to a local surfing beach on Thursday. (wet/dry sand searching)

Back
Top Bottom