• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cleaning question

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Went to the park today for a short hunt,,found some clad and cool relics which I hafto look at and figure out what they are..But the LC was the find of that hunt,they’re hard to come by for me ,maybe 5 in my life..But every time I clean a green coin they’re no longer green,they turn dark brown..
So I stopped trying to clean this one,it has a lot of hard crusty dirt on it and I have it soaking in warm soapy water.Any ideas how to keep it green? I hafto clean it more to get the date..any help is appreciated,thanks

Attachments

• 6EA5AF55-A5A8-44D0-820E-998AF605293B.jpg
    6EA5AF55-A5A8-44D0-820E-998AF605293B.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 46B8E2D7-7F50-4355-94F0-DCD06D2C0162.jpg
    46B8E2D7-7F50-4355-94F0-DCD06D2C0162.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 313
  • FBFEBB4D-5323-4BF9-9552-9B70F23CE75C.jpg
    FBFEBB4D-5323-4BF9-9552-9B70F23CE75C.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 307
Pete, I'd let it dry and then only toothpick that coin. Taking your time. Trapper

Thanks Trapper,I pulled it from the water and after about 5 minutes with a toothpick I think I got a date,,1832...This is my oldest LC ,my last one was 1844..
I will clean it a little at a time with a toothpick.

Attachments

• 65776BCC-B3E3-47AE-B1DD-7184B70DB6B1.jpg
    65776BCC-B3E3-47AE-B1DD-7184B70DB6B1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
DO NOT clean it with anything. Just let it dry and toothpick it carefully. Allot of the coppers I find it's the patina that holds the details. You take off the patina and your left with a crusty brown disc of nothingness. I have several to prove this theory. This also includes NO olive oil.

I see 1822, congrats

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks kingman mikey

Great recovery ! Still waiting for my first. Just dug my first flying eagle a week ago. Congratulations 👍
That flying eagle is on my list too..thanks
Sweet Largie, Congrats!
Thanks Ron
DO NOT clean it with anything. Just let it dry and toothpick it carefully. Allot of the coppers I find it's the patina that holds the details. You take off the patina and your left with a crusty brown disc of nothingness. I have several to prove this theory. This also includes NO olive oil.
Thanks for the info..I’m gonna pick at it over the winter till it’s clean

This is completely accurate, and my experience as well. I NEVER use even water anymore. Alot of the coppers I find have a crust (patina) which usually is already flaking off once it hits oxygen. You put water on those flakes, goodbye patina! Here's an example of the "crust" I'm referring too. This is the reverse of a recently dug 1797 DB large cent. 1014191919a_Film4.jpgNot all coppers have the same issues though. Some dont flake at all, I guess it depends on what kind of soil it has been in and the length of time too. Nice find man! Keep hunting that spot, could be silver of similar age close by. Congrats!

I can’t comment on the cleaning, but just wanted to say that it is a killer find. Looks like it had very little circulation when lost. Nice job!

This is completely accurate, and my experience as well. I NEVER use even water anymore. Alot of the coppers I find have a crust (patina) which usually is already flaking off once it hits oxygen. You put water on those flakes, goodbye patina! Here's an example of the "crust" I'm referring too. This is the reverse of a recently dug 1797 DB large cent. View attachment 451755Not all coppers have the same issues though. Some dont flake at all, I guess it depends on what kind of soil it has been in and the length of time too. Nice find man! Keep hunting that spot, could be silver of similar age close by. Congrats!

Agree fully.
I also has ruined LCs by putting them in water.

Best to simply tooth pick away the dry dirt and NEVER put them in any liquid.

1832 is a nice one.

Woody, awesome save. Congrats on the LC. I learned the hard way myself. One of the things that got me hooked on this sport back when I started I found one right across the street from my house, (30s40s ish type neighborhood.) 4in. down next to a 20 yr old sidewalk. I didn't know what a LC was, I thought I had a caked up clad quarter or something so I started to rinse and scrub. Fortunately there was a lot of detail on the coin but still left with a rust brown 1841 LC. It still is my oldest coin. So anything with a green patina I just use an old wore out tooth brush and a toothpick. Again congrats on a great find. HH Mark

Nice coin and find. I like that green. Coin is not worth much value wise , but maybe for future reference try PCGS/Restoration. Look up there website, etc. These are the pros when dealing with a coin like this.

Nice coin and find. I like that green. Coin is not worth much value wise , but maybe for future reference try PCGS/Restoration. Look up there website, etc. These are the pros when dealing with a coin like this.

Thanks KOB ,I will look them up..I know it’s not worth much but I just wanted to figure out how to clean it and keep it green..Any copper coin is my favorite

Just cranked out a winner there Wood. As the advice is stating...t-pick or nothing. GREAT looking LC! You should be proud of that old gem!

Congrats ! Being in California if I were to find one , I would be elevated to
" Studmuffin" Status . I don't think it's ever going to happen though .:( A nice one indeed !

Back
Top Bottom