First silver half!

volksbeetle28

Went back to the river a little downstream from where I got a mercury dime a few weeks ago. Old fishing spot so I was hitting a lot lead and other misc copper pieces. Also a lot of 60s clad/pennies. Finally got a wheat penny and the next signal was a 1944 dime. Got 2 more wheats and began to work my way back out. I was happy with another silver when I got a sold 34-35 on the Equinox. I thought for sure this was going to be another big piece of copper. So I started pulling out handfuls until the pinpointer stayed buzzing with what was in my hand. When I opened my hand a I saw big gray disc reverse side up among the rocks. Couldn’t believe I was holding my first silver half. 1911-s barber. It’s pretty worn but not in bad shape. I’m hoping to get back in there again soon but with cooler temps, the water is sure to be getting cold. I may need to invest in some waders. Anyway here are some pics. Before and after cleaning with baking soda/tinfoil. Pics may be out of order, but the black background pics are the before.
692e2fae45846eca2b952190f82c55f9.jpg
d0aa82cceea6c9018eeeb601b6672a00.jpg
87ea1dd79a04b4c41e44134114771f6b.jpg
676babff8e47bb0436ae6984d7642a7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! I’m still searching for my first barber half!!! I’ve been wanting to do some river hunting but I don’t know if any old swimming spots to look

Thats a Beauty of a First Half! Congratulations! I bet theres some more treasure in that spot you found! Might be a Gold Coin even! :thumbsup:

If you’re going to find your first half, that one ain’t half bad to start with!;)
HUGE congrats Beetle, seeing silver that big is a sh-sh-SHOCKER!

Went back to the river a little downstream from where I got a mercury dime a few weeks ago. Old fishing spot so I was hitting a lot lead and other misc copper pieces. Also a lot of 60s clad/pennies. Finally got a wheat penny and the next signal was a 1944 dime. Got 2 more wheats and began to work my way back out. I was happy with another silver when I got a sold 34-35 on the Equinox. I thought for sure this was going to be another big piece of copper. So I started pulling out handfuls until the pinpointer stayed buzzing with what was in my hand. When I opened my hand a I saw big gray disc reverse side up among the rocks. Couldn’t believe I was holding my first silver half. 1911-s barber. It’s pretty worn but not in bad shape. I’m hoping to get back in there again soon but with cooler temps, the water is sure to be getting cold. I may need to invest in some waders. Anyway here are some pics. Before and after cleaning with baking soda/tinfoil. Pics may be out of order, but the black background pics are the before.
692e2fae45846eca2b952190f82c55f9.jpg
d0aa82cceea6c9018eeeb601b6672a00.jpg
87ea1dd79a04b4c41e44134114771f6b.jpg
676babff8e47bb0436ae6984d7642a7f.jpg

Congrats on that half, 1911 sure is a popular year for those!:shock:

Congrats on that nice half! Old fishing spots have produced some nice finds for me as well.
Thanks. I’m seeing the potential now in these sites. Wish I’d have been hitting them in the summer.

A Barber half is not a common find. My oldest half dollar find is a 1941 Walking Liberty. Congrats!
Thank you. I always imagined if I found one, it would be a walking liberty.

Congrats! I’m still searching for my first barber half!!! I’ve been wanting to do some river hunting but I don’t know if any old swimming spots to look

Thanks. While searching for a potential river spot, I looked on some old maps where old bridges are/or used to be, and figured back in the day people probably just parked and fished within a few hundred yards of the bridge. As soon as I started finding old sinkers and beaver tails, I figured they had to lose some coins along the way.
She looks great! Practically uncirculated compared to the raggedy, worn, stained one I found a few weeks ago. But, a half is a half!
Thanks. it didn’t look bad when I found it, and I was going to leave it as it was, but after seeing how well the dime cleaned up I couldn’t resist.

Man congrats on a beautiful half volks!!!

That's awesome! Nice save
Thanks guys!
Should be some old gold coming up in no time with all those old coins, congrats!
Thanks. I don’t know what I’d do if I found a gold coin.

Thats a Beauty of a First Half! Congratulations! I bet theres some more treasure in that spot you found! Might be a Gold Coin even! :thumbsup:
Thanks. I really need to look into some waders to prolong the river hunting.
Really super find, and it shows by your effort in seeking an excellent spot. Hard work does indeed pay off.
Thank you!

If you’re going to find your first half, that one ain’t half bad to start with!;)
HUGE congrats Beetle, seeing silver that big is a sh-sh-SHOCKER!
Thanks. I still can’t believe I found it.

That's the one you want for your first half, barbers seem hard to come by..congrats on the finds!
Thank you! I couldn’t be happier.
Excellent job and a beauty of a coin. I pound that area inch by inch
Oh yeah, I’ll definitely be back to work it some more. Thanks!
Nice half there! Golds gotta be in the area!
Thank you! I can only hope gold is there!

Congrats ! Awesome hunt !
Thank you!
Congrats on that half, 1911 sure is a popular year for those!:shock:
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom