10k Gold Ring Found Deep in the Woods!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Rare find for me yesterday. I was hunting a spot deep in the woods that has produced musket balls and flat buttons when I got a high 50's signal. Thought it might be a shotgun shell, so I wasn't too excited. Got a huge surprise when I saw gold in the hole! I've found a few gold rings at ballfields and schools, but never one in the woods.

It's not a huge ring, but better than most that I find. Size 10 1/2 and weighs 6 grams (including the stone). Very nice red garnet stone with no damage. Has a few scratches on the band, but it's not bent or trashed. Too nice to scrap, so I'll keep it in my collection.

Sorry for the lousy pics, but I got dirt in my lens the other day. Can't seem to get it to focus just right now.

Attachments

• gold ring 2.jpg
    gold ring 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 598
  • ring 1.jpg
    ring 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 577
  • ring 3.jpg
    ring 3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 544
  • ring 4.jpg
    ring 4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 552
Thanks, guys! It was only around 3 inches deep, but it had a lot of small roots wrapped around it. Must have been there for quite awhile.

It's marked "10k" and there's three letters to the left of the 10k mark. Looks like "BOA" or maybe "POA". Still hard to read even after I used toothpick to clean up the mark.

Rare find for me yesterday. I was hunting a spot deep in the woods that has produced musket balls and flat buttons when I got a high 50's signal. Thought it might be a shotgun shell, so I wasn't too excited. Got a huge surprise when I saw gold in the hole! I've found a few gold rings at ballfields and schools, but never one in the woods.

It's not a huge ring, but better than most that I find. Size 10 1/2 and weighs 6 grams (including the stone). Very nice red garnet stone with no damage. Has a few scratches on the band, but it's not bent or trashed. Too nice to scrap, so I'll keep it in my collection.

Sorry for the lousy pics, but I got dirt in my lens the other day. Can't seem to get it to focus just right now.

Very nice ring for the dirt... the stone is a simulated ruby.. I find them often water hunting.

Very nice ring for the dirt... the stone is a simulated ruby.. I find them often water hunting.

Yup, they went the extra mile on that stone to make it look like a ruby. They even cut the back of the stone to make it faceted.

That's an excellent find, and a nice-looking ring! I think you made a good choice to keep it in the collection. :yes: The makers mark is not familiar to me; have you been able to learn anything about it?

Thanks! No luck with the makers mark. Going to have to buy a decent magnifying glass to confirm the exact letters of the mark.

Thank you! Guess it pays to dig every signal in the woods. Probably would have skipped over that one at a schoolyard or ballfield.

Seems too large to be a real ruby. It's 1/2" by 3/4", which would be worth a fortune! I would also think they'd use 18k gold for a ruby that large.

Back
Top Bottom