Swords crossed on round disk and an old key

CharlieT84

Elite Member
Can you help with these? I found them at an old (mid 1860s) house.
The round item with the crossed sword was found in the same hole with the small round item.
I am guessing it was attached at one time, but that is just a guess. You can see there are threads on it. I believe that the small disk actually threaded on to a threaded shaft that was part of the larger disk (swords disk). In the last photo I placed the one disk on top of the other - it is how I am guessing it should be- but I am not sure.

Also any guess on what the key might have unlocked?

Attachments

• IMG_0717ct.jpg
    IMG_0717ct.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0719ct.jpg
    IMG_0719ct.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0721ct.jpg
    IMG_0721ct.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0720ct.jpg
    IMG_0720ct.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Your pin is a color disc and represents cavalry and dates to 1910-1924. Your key is generally associated with railroads.

WWI Collar Disk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190618-091124_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-091124_eBay.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 387
  • Screenshot_20190618-091138_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-091138_eBay.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 339
Thank you so much for the info. If I understand both of you then this would have been something that was worn on a collar of an actual cavalry soldier in WWI ?
This forum is the best. People are so helpful and share so many finds and stories.

If I understand both of you then this would have been something that was worn on a collar of an actual cavalry soldier in WWI ?

Yep, absolutely. Here's a picture of one properly placed on a tunic jacket:

WWI_collardisc.jpg

Also, this website has some great information that can help date and identify various collar discs/insignia, with additional photos of soldiers wearing them:

Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Discs

The key looks like an old railroad switch-key.
Switch-keys were used to unlock a switch box, in which was a lever handle that, when pulled or pushed, moved a segment of track from one track to another, allowing an engine and cars to change routes.
Switch-keys were valuable, and guarded carefully, to prevent pranksters or people with bad intent from switching a track and derailing or de-routing a train.
I used to have three of my great grandfather's switch-keys for the St. Lousi and San Francisco Railroad (SL&SFRR or "The Frisco"), but one has disappeared over the years and I have two left.
Sage(three longs, a short and a long)Grouse

Back
Top Bottom