Sick of garret pro pointer.

bigstemz

Banned
I'm tired of how much my pro pointer goes wonky on me. Always chirping, making noises when no metal is near by....it's enough to drive a man nuts! I need a solution. :roll: Detector pro pistol probe seems nice, just big. Prob goes deeper to. Any input guys?

I'm tired of how much my pro pointer goes wonky on me. Always chirping, making noises when no metal is near by....it's enough to drive a man nuts! I need a solution. :roll: Detector pro pistol probe seems nice, just big. Prob goes deeper to. Any input guys?

The pistolprobe is deeper than the profind and propointer easily. After you get used to one, to me they are the way to go. IMO! Pistolprobe all you do is push the button in and let go when you locate the target. I'm twice as fast at recovery with my pistolprobe. Takes two 9 volts but they last a real long time. Had mine 3 years and is still going strong. Profind is defective and i'm on my second propointer. And they are my back ups. Sad when your back ups are what break:no:

Just keep sending it back to Garrett, only takes a couple of weeks, each time... They all can't be bad units, must be a half dozen or so members here, who have had there's for two or more years, without an issue, assuming they actually used them. Several members have suggested buying one or more backups, so you should have a semi-functioning unit, until on comes back from Garrett. "You get, what you pay for...", wonder if that includes shipping it back several times... $127.50... Wonder what the actual cost of getting a good unit, if you add up the shipping costs, to send them back... Sorry about the sarcasm.

I used the Centech, while mine was being given Garrett's royal treatment. Didn't really miss it that much. The Propointer has worked fine, only did the random beep thing once, since getting it back. Figure a few months or so, it'll need to be shipped back to Garrett for round 2. Hate pulling out of the hole, just to see if it stops beeping, think it's tainted.

I like the Garrett Pinpointer. It is a great tool. Like you, mine is all chirpy and sometimes the button gets stuck. It is very frustrating, but a good tool.

I wish I read reviews before I bought mine.

Yea, just send it back, it sounds like it's calibration is off (too sensitive).

It does pay to have a back up. I use both the pro find and the pro pointer. I have had to send the pro pointer in once because the button broke but it has been great ever since. I thought the Pro Find was wonky at first. It is supposed to make three beeps when you turn it on. I am guessing that it is a calibration/temp compensation (the ProPointer does this as well, but during 2 beeps). Mine almost never completes the calibration, or the three beeps, on the first power up of the day but after that, it works fine. I am tending to like the Pro Find a bit more than the Pro Pointer as I use it more. The Pro Find's button is a more robust design in my opinion as well. I was about to make the statement that the sensitivity feature seems useless, but in your case, having the ability to back off the sensitivity one notch would likely fix your issue. So maybe it is useful after all.

I have never used the Pistol Probe but a lot of people complain about it being too sensitive, making it difficult to find the target.

Good luck, I hope you get your issue resolved soon.

mine does that quite often. I just turn it of then back on and mine works good until the next time.. I need to send mine back to be replaced since I also have a cen-tec that I modded to use

I have had a Garrett PP for over 2 yrs. with many hours of use and love it...If it goes nuts once in a while shut it off and turn it back on and that takes care of it. I would not hunt without a PP.... Garrett does have great service from the sounds of it if you need it. Good luck

Soooo

Way im hearing is that everyone's pro pointer is defective?! :laughing: :mad: !!!. Seriously Garrett. If we all owned cars or cell phones or anything that had to be returned routinely to b fixed we would stop buying them. I wish I had read more reviews on the pro pointer before I purchased. It's unacceptable to own a backup just so you can own a pinpointed while your main one gets repaired. The garret pro pointer is great....... When it is working. I think I want a pistol probe. ;)

mine does that quite often. I just turn it of then back on and mine works good until the next time..

^ what he said.
mines' been running great for over 2 1/2 years. on 2 occasions, it stopped vibrating, but nothing that a little thump on the side of it didn't cure.
if i turn it on and leave it on for any length of time (like to enlarge a hole) sometimes it'll start it's chirping, but off and then on again and it works just fine.

^ what he said.
mines' been running great for over 2 1/2 years. on 2 occasions, it stopped vibrating, but nothing that a little thump on the side of it didn't cure.
if i turn it on and leave it on for any length of time (like to enlarge a hole) sometimes it'll start it's chirping, but off and then on again and it works just fine.

Mine started that way and just got worse. Now it vibrates every time after it locates a target and won't stop till I hit it or turn it off.....unacceptable

Mine also sometimes starts chirping on it's own if I lay it down for a minute to dig. But I have found that a new battery usually cures it.

Mine also sometimes starts chirping on it's own if I lay it down for a minute to dig. But I have found that a new battery usually cures it.

That is normal. When you turn it on, it is calibrating for temp and for any metal nearby. If conditions change, it starts reacting. A simple cycle off and then on again will re-calibrate it.

Man I really hate hearing these bad reviews , I struggled over which one to get and finally got the garrett , got it Friday , I haven't had a chance to use it yet , hopefully soon tho , just hope mine doesn't start having these problems . But I hear White's is coming out with a new one this fall , so i'm going to try one of theirs when they come out . good luck

Man I really hate hearing these bad reviews , I struggled over which one to get and finally got the garrett , got it Friday , I haven't had a chance to use it yet , hopefully soon tho , just hope mine doesn't start having these problems . But I hear White's is coming out with a new one this fall , so i'm going to try one of theirs when they come out . good luck

Propointers are about 75% defective/problematic. I'm thinking they must sub these builds out to China. My second one is already acting up. That one guy sponsored by Garrett on youtube has 3. He'll only tell you how bad they are in a pm. But he even gets free ATpros. So the broken propointers don't mean much. I know my profind i'm waiting for it to totally krap out. It usually works in the air conditioning. Last night it didn't first couple of tries. Go outside and it doesn't work after it reaches 90 degrees or there abouts. I'm talking in the shade. Minelab doesn't have a very good track record for first time repairs. Don't think they even check their work before it is sent back. Ask any guy sending in his Excalibur. They do cruddy repairs:no:

I had problems with my first propointer but sent it back to Garrett, they sent me a brand new one and now its been working great for two years.

well i'll hope for the best with mine , if I don't get a chance to get out detecting and use it soon mine will last forever . But I think i'm going to be one of whites first customers when theirs comes out . Good luck

I had a problem the first season with mine. It would start beeping and wouldn't stop until I whacked it on the edge of the hole several times. This happened during a season-long hunt at a park that was spitting out old coins left and right. I didn't want to hunt without it for even a day, so I put up with it until freeze-up. I sent it in, and they replaced the switch, which seems to be the most common problem. I bought a Sunray and haven't had a problem since, as long as I remember to switch it back to coil after recovering the target. Plus, I'll never lose it.

Back
Top Bottom