Tuesday afternoon hunt with my Nox 800 included what seems to be an old angle brace

GKL

Forum Supporter
I did another hunt in my yard (about 3 hours), still only covered a relatively small portion of my 1 1/2 acres as I'm taking my time getting used to using TID numbers.

Among my finds was what seems to be an angle brace, but the offset protrusions have me puzzled, it is fairly thick metal, you can see how deep it was from the pic with the Propointer sitting in the hole after I uncovered the top edge of it. It seems like it is somewhat old, just not sure how old, still need to research it online, just thought someone might recognize it in the meantime.

20191015_142426_Brace1.jpg 20191015_182020_Brace2.jpg

Also found a clad dime and a clad quarter, could not make out the full date of the quarter but under a magnifying glass it looks like 198?, just can't make out the last number.

dime_20191015_155506.jpg dime_S20191015_0001.jpg

quarter_20191015_153235.jpg quarter_S20191015_0003.jpg

Also here is the other assorted trash I dug up, that small piece of wire on the left rang up making me think I might have found silver, nope, but I was still amazed at how strong a signal I got for that tiny piece of wire using the Nox 800 ! :shock:

20191015_181341.jpg

Still hoping I might uncover some old relics since my property is right next to woods and this town dates back to the 1700's and there were British Revolutionary war soldiers camped in this town back then, maybe some of them traveled across my property and dropped stuff, I can hope ! :lol:

I did another hunt in my yard (about 3 hours), still only covered a relatively small portion of my 1 1/2 acres as I'm taking my time getting used to using TID numbers.

Among my finds was what seems to be an angle brace, but the offset protrusions have me puzzled, it is fairly thick metal, you can see how deep it was from the pic with the Propointer sitting in the hole after I uncovered the top edge of it. It seems like it is somewhat old, just not sure how old, still need to research it online, just thought someone might recognize it in the meantime.

View attachment 451695 View attachment 451696

Also found a clad dime and a clad quarter, could not make out the full date of the quarter but under a magnifying glass it looks like 198?, just can't make out the last number.

View attachment 451697 View attachment 451698

View attachment 451699 View attachment 451700

Also here is the other assorted trash I dug up, that small piece of wire on the left rang up making me think I might have found silver, nope, but I was still amazed at how strong a signal I got for that tiny piece of wire using the Nox 800 ! :shock:

View attachment 451701

Still hoping I might uncover some old relics since my property is right next to woods and this town dates back to the 1700's and there were British Revolutionary war soldiers camped in this town back then, maybe some of them traveled across my property and dropped stuff, I can hope ! :lol:

Looks like your practice should start to pay off.

Utility pole nearby? It might be something off one. The dirt around the poles in my property are surrounded by junk the workers have dropped/thrown from their ladders. I just had some work done recently and when I got home i saw several pieces of junk the guy left behind. I tossed it in the trash, and thus saved a detectorist the trouble of digging it up in 100 years.

Looks like your practice should start to pay off.

Hey, at least the practice is fun too :lol:

Utility pole nearby? It might be something off one. The dirt around the poles in my property are surrounded by junk the workers have dropped/thrown from their ladders. I just had some work done recently and when I got home i saw several pieces of junk the guy left behind. I tossed it in the trash, and thus saved a detectorist the trouble of digging it up in 100 years.

Thanks for the idea, but I think I can rule that out as the only close by utility pole is for a yard light, and we moved here when the house was only about 5 years old and the only work I think was done was to change the bulb one time (and maybe the light sensor module) besides, the light fixture does not look anything like that piece I found.

Glad to see you are enjoying your new machine. Some people just don't click with the Nox . Heck before you know it your going to be posting cw belt buckles and buckets of gold and silver . Then all of us that love your photo shop pics won't have no more hilarious pics to laugh at no more. And then we will have to blame scuba for his contest.:laughing:

Glad to see you are enjoying your new machine. Some people just don't click with the Nox . Heck before you know it your going to be posting cw belt buckles and buckets of gold and silver . Then all of us that love your photo shop pics won't have no more hilarious pics to laugh at no more. And then we will have to blame scuba for his contest.:laughing:

:laughing:

Thanks, but don't worry, I'm sure there will be off days from heavy rain where I can get enough pics done in advance and post one a day of the pre-made ones on the days I detect :lol: (besides, most don't really take that long to make)

GKL'S photo /edit post

:laughing:

Thanks, but don't worry, I'm sure there will be off days from heavy rain where I can get enough pics done in advance and post one a day of the pre-made ones on the days I detect :lol: (besides, most don't really take that long to make)

With 276,830 views so far don't see that thread going away any time soon . Would take some one a while just to go through all the old post on it. Gary is always looking for new material and ideas for future ones.:laughing: For those who have not checked it out.http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258582

Nice job getting out. I keep going around and around my yard with the Nox thinking I'll find something other than roofing nails :) Found an old British Penny with the Ace 250 but nothing good with the Nox there :)

I thought your angle brace thing might have just been a "studded fence post" but doesn't seem to match exactly.
Fence-Post.jpg

Nice job getting out. I keep going around and around my yard with the Nox thinking I'll find something other than roofing nails :) Found an old British Penny with the Ace 250 but nothing good with the Nox there :)

I thought your angle brace thing might have just been a "studded fence post" but doesn't seem to match exactly.
Fence-Post.jpg

Thanks, I'm not discouraged with the limited finds in my yard as it is mostly meant as a "classroom" to get use to both using the Nox 800 and using TID numbers. Hey, at least you finding the roofing nails means they won't get chewed up by a lawn mower :lol:

Thanks for the "studded fence post" idea, but you are right that it doesn't seem to match exactly. I still have yet to try to research it more myself, but appreciate the possible ideas in the meantime !

Was busy today but still got out for a shorter hunt today, first let me say I am not discouraged at the lack of finds in my own yard, and my hunt today was not as good as the first three but did help as far as helping me to know what I need to research as far as detecting stuff I need to figure out.

All I found today was a deep crushed up aluminum can. (right next to an old unused underground pipe) Part of the reason is the time I spent on my first 2 digs.

The thing is I got a really strong signal on those 2 spots and used the Nox pin pointer function to carefully narrow down the spots to dig.

The first signal was a consistent 11 and 12 so I though nickel, the Nox showed it as being deep and the area was tough clay, moist, but still tough to dig, after digging a good ways down and using the Garret Carrot, there would be a signal at first then no signal, I checked the dirt I dug out also, so after a really strong Nox signal and about 1/2 hour digging deep into tough clay - nothing ! So I filled it up and moved on.

The next spot was a strong signal of 30 and 31 and Nox said it was deep, so again after a long dig thru tough clay - nothing ! (and again, the Carrot signaled something was there, then it didn't)

When I finally got a spot with an actual find it was a crushed up aluminum can :lol:

Well, at least I got some fresh air, exercise, and a little more educated as far as what I need to figure out :lol:

My Garrett Carrot has a brand new battery and when I test it by pointing it towards my digger it shows it is working good, so what is puzzling me is -

Why would this sometimes happen: you put the Carrot in the dug hole and initially get a signal as if something is there, then you can try it again a minute later and no signal at all :?: (and yes, I do check the dirt I dig out) I had this happen more than once today.

Sometimes the Carrot will make a noise while just holding it and not pointing it at anything, is that normal ?

I wonder if some of these dug holes where I could find nothing if maybe it was a very tiny speck of metal that initially gave a strong signal but then no longer did.

Again, I am not discouraged, just puzzled, and I don't give up easy, if these detecting "quirks" are just a normal part of detecting we have to endure, that's fine, as long as I can know these things are normal quirks that happen to everyone :lol:

I'm not sure, but maybe it might be somewhat of a drawback of having a detector that is so sensitive that it can find even small things really deep, it is great it can do that, but if the small thing is a tiny speck of metal you can't find it can sure have you puzzled :lol:

Was busy today but still got out for a shorter hunt today, first let me say I am not discouraged at the lack of finds in my own yard, and my hunt today was not as good as the first three but did help as far as helping me to know what I need to research as far as detecting stuff I need to figure out.

All I found today was a deep crushed up aluminum can. (right next to an old unused underground pipe) Part of the reason is the time I spent on my first 2 digs.

The thing is I got a really strong signal on those 2 spots and used the Nox pin pointer function to carefully narrow down the spots to dig.

The first signal was a consistent 11 and 12 so I though nickel, the Nox showed it as being deep and the area was tough clay, moist, but still tough to dig, after digging a good ways down and using the Garret Carrot, there would be a signal at first then no signal, I checked the dirt I dug out also, so after a really strong Nox signal and about 1/2 hour digging deep into tough clay - nothing ! So I filled it up and moved on.

The next spot was a strong signal of 30 and 31 and Nox said it was deep, so again after a long dig thru tough clay - nothing ! (and again, the Carrot signaled something was there, then it didn't)

When I finally got a spot with an actual find it was a crushed up aluminum can :lol:

Well, at least I got some fresh air, exercise, and a little more educated as far as what I need to figure out :lol:

My Garrett Carrot has a brand new battery and when I test it by pointing it towards my digger it shows it is working good, so what is puzzling me is -

Why would this sometimes happen: you put the Carrot in the dug hole and initially get a signal as if something is there, then you can try it again a minute later and no signal at all :?: (and yes, I do check the dirt I dig out) I had this happen more than once today.

Sometimes the Carrot will make a noise while just holding it and not pointing it at anything, is that normal ?

I wonder if some of these dug holes where I could find nothing if maybe it was a very tiny speck of metal that initially gave a strong signal but then no longer did.

Again, I am not discouraged, just puzzled, and I don't give up easy, if these detecting "quirks" are just a normal part of detecting we have to endure, that's fine, as long as I can know these things are normal quirks that happen to everyone :lol:

I'm not sure, but maybe it might be somewhat of a drawback of having a detector that is so sensitive that it can find even small things really deep, it is great it can do that, but if the small thing is a tiny speck of metal you can't find it can sure have you puzzled :lol:

Were you running all metal mode the whole time?

Also check out some posts related to "halo effect", not sure it fits your results but its probably worth checking out.

Also no power lines overhead close by huh?

Sucks to dig in clay and find a ghost target, I usually get annoyed enough at lost targets when at the beach digging in easy sand, but that's usually because my brain tells me it was a 24K earring or thin chain that fell through the scoop :laughing:

Were you running all metal mode the whole time?

Also check out some posts related to "halo effect", not sure it fits your results but its probably worth checking out.

Also no power lines overhead close by huh?

Sucks to dig in clay and find a ghost target, I usually get annoyed enough at lost targets when at the beach digging in easy sand, but that's usually because my brain tells me it was a 24K earring or thin chain that fell through the scoop :laughing:

Thanks for the tips !

I'm still learning my new Nox 800 and have mostly still been just using the basic "Park 1" mode, not sure if that automatically includes all metal mode or not. I do need to start trying out other modes and settings more though.

Halo effect is a possibility, sometimes a signal seems to move, after using the Nox to pinpoint where to dig and I dig and find nothing the signal disappears from that spot and seems to then be a few inches to one side, whether that is the same signal or a completely different target I don't know. (and dig to the side and still find nothing :lol:)

I can understand you getting annoyed thinking stuff might have "fell through the scoop" :lol: at least in my situation I know stuff didn't fall through the tough clay :lol:

As far as power lines there are high tension ones about a block away from our yard and regular power lines that come down the street to go to the houses, but the problems I mentioned happened in yesterday's hunt did not seem to happen in the first 3 hunts in my yard so I can't see that being a factor.

I am still learning and I can be patient knowing I'm not going to be a Nox 800 expert overnight :lol:

I still may not have yet even covered 1/2 acre of the 1 1/2 acres of property we have, so I will be getting back out there within about 1/2 hour to detect and learn some more, going to try to get in several hours today as we'll be getting a period of rain starting tomorrow off and on thru Tuesday.

I originally was considering finding a brand new detecting area today, but our 1999 Astro van recently stopped starting and I haven't had the time yet to figure out what needs fixed to get it starting again. (much of my free time after chores recently has been learning my new Nox 800 :lol:) My wife has our car in Myrtle beach as she went to a much deserved ladies retreat the ladies of the South Carolina district of our church organization had planned. My wife works so hard as the manager/auditor of a motel she needed some relax time. (my wife wanted me to retire and take care of the housework as she still wanted to work for a while longer, I think housework is harder than the job I worked, but at least I can take breaks when I want :lol:) anyhow, I just made sure to use the car to get what groceries I needed before she left as me and our dog are stuck at home till she gets back, but that's fine, because as I said I have likely not even covered 1/2 acre of our 1 1/2 acres of property yet with my new detector :lol:

Your angle brace is an 'inside corner brace' and the protrusions are the fasteners that are still going through the holes. What ever it was bracing is long since rotted or rusted away.

Your angle brace is an 'inside corner brace' and the protrusions are the fasteners that are still going through the holes. What ever it was bracing is long since rotted or rusted away.

Thanks, I thought it was likely something along that line, not sure how old it might be, even thought it might be from bracing a corner of an old horse drawn wagon, but that is just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom