2 buffs, 6 wheats, a large penny but nary a silver to be found

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Spent great afternoon hunting curb strips and 1912 yard. The targets were sparse but I was hunting old dirt and I did dig 2 Buffs from one strip so the prospect for silver was certainly looking good. I was especially pumped up about the yard as I dug a 1918 and a 1935 wheat within a few minutes of starting it. I also found a 1936 British penny. In my mind it qualifies as a large cent since it is extremely unlikely that I will find an actual US minted large copper in Montana. No silver today and I remain stuck at 46 on my way to 50 FTY .
Thanks for your interest and HH!!

Attachments

• 6 wheats 10-13-19.jpg
    6 wheats 10-13-19.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 380
  • two buffs heads 10-13-19.jpg
    two buffs heads 10-13-19.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 322
  • two buffs tails 10-13-19.jpg
    two buffs tails 10-13-19.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 1936 British Penny heads 10-13-19.jpg
    1936 British Penny heads 10-13-19.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 341
  • 1936 British Penny tails 10-13-19.jpg
    1936 British Penny tails 10-13-19.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Very nice Mr T! - yeah, I don't think we'll find a US large cent here in Montana unless it might be in the Virginia City / Alder Gulch area, or in the past at Bannack (now a ghost town and state park - no detecting). Who know though... I did find a 1841 Seated Dime at a local newer ca 1950 park, it was worn all to heck but still readable, so I suppose anything is possible!

Hope you can get out more and find those 4 more silver coins. I am heading up to Missoula tomorrow, have a great permission waiting at a 1929 home with a huge yard. Am bringing a friend from Hamilton (AT Max) and we hope to do well. Rain and Snow due here at the end of the week...

Very nice Mr T! - yeah, I don't think we'll find a US large cent here in Montana unless it might be in the Virginia City / Alder Gulch area, or in the past at Bannack (now a ghost town and state park - no detecting). Who know though... I did find a 1841 Seated Dime at a local newer ca 1950 park, it was worn all to heck but still readable, so I suppose anything is possible!

Hope you can get out more and find those 4 more silver coins. I am heading up to Missoula tomorrow, have a great permission waiting at a 1929 home with a huge yard. Am bringing a friend from Hamilton (AT Max) and we hope to do well. Rain and Snow due here at the end of the week...
Thanks! weather looks good here for the next few days so I expect to get out for a couple hours every day except Tuesday this week (soccer game).

Right on! Congrats. Those Canadian coins sure do ring up pretty nice dont they lol! Hopefully the weather holds here as well. These randind winter storms arent doing us montanans any favors. Looks good the next few days tho we're gonna hit an old town that used to have a church and old school.... good luck!

Congrats on the finds! They all came out of the ground looking nice, too! :good: I especially like that 1913-D Type 1 buffalo, that is a sweet find! :cool3:

great pictures.

And ... oh ... don't worry about lack of ability to find LC's on our side of the Mississippi. They don't really find them on the east coast either. All the posts you see by those guys is just photo-shop trickery. And videos filmed on a back lot in Florida some where. So .... rest assured: Your wheaties and buffalos are the "cat's meow" finds. Ok ? :cool3:

Spent great afternoon hunting curb strips and 1912 yard. The targets were sparse but I was hunting old dirt and I did dig 2 Buffs from one strip so the prospect for silver was certainly looking good. I was especially pumped up about the yard as I dug a 1918 and a 1935 wheat within a few minutes of starting it. I also found a 1936 British penny. In my mind it qualifies as a large cent since it is extremely unlikely that I will find an actual US minted large copper in Montana. No silver today and I remain stuck at 46 on my way to 50 FTY .
Thanks for your interest and HH!!

Yeah that's a BIG copper. I got the same one up here in CT, (of coarse New England). Also a big ole Napoleon copper. Hey..... Never dug a Connecticut Copper? Napoleon, yep! CT State coin No! I love the surprise though.... Fun.

Some very nice digging Montana. You were on the right grounds but does not guarantee silver. You have time yet stay on it and you will reach that fifty plateau. Trapper

Congrats on the nice coins and pictures .Those English large cents are beautiful coins .
The Buffalos held up quite nicely also .

British is a PENNY, US is a CENT.

An LC can be a Large Cent or a Large Copper. The latter is a correct description of either a US or British coin.

British is a PENNY, US is a CENT.

An LC can be a Large Cent or a Large Copper. The latter is a correct description of either a US or British coin.
Whatever you say about it is more than I know. Thanks for the clarification.

Congrats on the nice coins and pictures .Those English large cents are beautiful coins .
The Buffalos held up quite nicely also .
Thanks! I have dug 4 buffs in my detecting career. The first two were pretty red and much more worn. These two came from the same curbstrip in a different area of town and cleaned up pretty nicely.

Some very nice digging Montana. You were on the right grounds but does not guarantee silver. You have time yet stay on it and you will reach that fifty plateau. Trapper
Thanks for the continued encouragement. I hope the weather holds long enough!

Yeah that's a BIG copper. I got the same one up here in CT, (of coarse New England). Also a big ole Napoleon copper. Hey..... Never dug a Connecticut Copper? Napoleon, yep! CT State coin No! I love the surprise though.... Fun.
This is my second non US large copper penny. The other was a 1956 South African Penny- Same size, and composition. I just want to know one thing. How in the heck did these coins end up buried in yards in Montana???

great pictures.

And ... oh ... don't worry about lack of ability to find LC's on our side of the Mississippi. They don't really find them on the east coast either. All the posts you see by those guys is just photo-shop trickery. And videos filmed on a back lot in Florida some where. So .... rest assured: Your wheaties and buffalos are the "cat's meow" finds. Ok ? :cool3:
Yeah that Iphone camera is pretty good and once my teenage daughter showed me how to zoom and edit, I became a master coin photographer. And I agree, detected and dug LCs are fictitious figments of an overactive imagination. As are circulated and dug US gold coins.

Congrats on the finds! They all came out of the ground looking nice, too! :good: I especially like that 1913-D Type 1 buffalo, that is a sweet find! :cool3:
a little olive oil and a toothpick can do wonders for a dug coin and
I don't know how you tell the date of the dateless buff, but thanks for the info!

Right on! Congrats. Those Canadian coins sure do ring up pretty nice dont they lol! Hopefully the weather holds here as well. These randind winter storms arent doing us montanans any favors. Looks good the next few days tho we're gonna hit an old town that used to have a church and old school.... good luck!
Thanks !! I hope you do well while the weather holds.

a little olive oil and a toothpick can do wonders for a dug coin and
I don't know how you tell the date of the dateless buff, but thanks for the info!

You're welcome. And here you go, this is the difference: :D

Attachments

• Type 1 vs Type 2 Buffs.jpg
    Type 1 vs Type 2 Buffs.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 191
I know right?, these coins in Montana? That's very cool. Here in CT every European that landed on US soil has probably tromped around all over this New England state. We find coins in woods!

Back
Top Bottom