• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What kind of readings did you get?

JOFO17

For those of you that have found a cache, I was wondering what kind of reading did your machine give you? Did it read what was in whatever was holding the cache, or what was in it? If it was a mixed bunch of coins , did it show up as the biggest coin or a jumble?

Its pretty much the container of the cache that dictates the signal......If its a steel paint can stuffed full of silver Morgan dollars,, you will only hear the paint can..if its a glass canning jar full of gold coins, you will only hear the zinc lid...

If its a 6" PVC pipe buried 3' down and stuffed with several monster boxes of ASE's?...well...your machine will say..."crushed pop can at 3"....so dig those crushed pop can signals!

Most cache hunters profile Human behavior and key in all signals in locations they know Humans typically prefer to bury caches...like under the third fence post from the corner...dont have to be deep either...some sort of hidey hole for a guy to grab and go in an emergency...

The other day I came across a piece of flat metal laying flat in the ground. It is obviously hollow or at least a cavity under it. I was thinking a lid from an old 5 gal tar can. BUT, and this was the reason for my question, it rang a solid 153 which on my detector is big silver. I only had a small coin shovel and it was an easy 90 degrees out, so wasnt gonna dig it out with that. I am gonna go back with a big shovel mext week.

The other day I came across a piece of flat metal laying flat in the ground. It is obviously hollow or at least a cavity under it. I was thinking a lid from an old 5 gal tar can. BUT, and this was the reason for my question, it rang a solid 153 which on my detector is big silver. I only had a small coin shovel and it was an easy 90 degrees out, so wasnt gonna dig it out with that. I am gonna go back with a big shovel mext week.

I once 10 minutes before it got dark hit a huge signal Under a tree.. dug until it got dark and all freaking night I wondered if it was a cache.. got back there at daybreak , dug and dug and finally pulled up a freaking rebar stuck vertically.. hope yours comes out better !!

For those of you that have found a cache, I was wondering what kind of reading did your machine give you? Did it read what was in whatever was holding the cache, or what was in it? If it was a mixed bunch of coins , did it show up as the biggest coin or a jumble?

In my case I had a coin signal with iron next to it. Luckily, one of the coins had fallen out and I picked it up. I almost didn’t dig the iron signal but it falsed from another direction and I found the goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Best way to find out, grab an old coffee can at a garage sale and bury a bunch of your junk 90 coins in your back yard.

every time i walk away from the null/overload signal i wonder if maybe i am passing up something amazing.

Maddening, I tell ya; maddening! Even if the cache of coins had no metal in the container, and no other metal around, it would still ring up like a buried can. Concentrated coin spills often surprise me, thinking it's just more junk. A tin or steel can full of coins might be totally silent if you have iron discriminated out.

every time i walk away from the null/overload signal i wonder if maybe i am passing up something amazing.

My buddy and I when we first started detecting had a site with a mix of gold rush era square nails and modern beer cans, pull tabs, ect... We started avoiding the overload beer can signals. After a few months this one signal I can only guess we went over a dozen times each was dug by him. It was a 1769 Bavarian Silver Dollar. Long story short we dig those signals every time now. I guess if you know there is history in the ground it is best to dig it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once 10 minutes before it got dark hit a huge signal Under a tree.. dug until it got dark and all freaking night I wondered if it was a cache.. got back there at daybreak , dug and dug and finally pulled up a freaking rebar stuck vertically.. hope yours comes out better !!

Are you sure that wasn't a property boundary corner marker? I know when I used to own a lot down in Louisa County, VA, rebar was used for the corner markers.

-- Tom

Are you sure that wasn't a property boundary corner marker? I know when I used to own a lot down in Louisa County, VA, rebar was used for the corner markers.

-- Tom

Well the area was at a seldom used County Park/Boat launch.. the piece of rebar was straight down about 6 inches deep pretty much 3" Into(under) the tree I assume the tree Grew at some point..

I suppose it "could" of been a property boundary because who knows how long the County owned the land and could of "inherited" the property

Back
Top Bottom