Metal Detecting PR...

controlfreq

Got a call from a colleague late Friday night talking about some work stuff. It's kind of odd to get a call from him that late unless extremely important; he was asking about safety gear for the new guy. After we finished the "shop talk", he paused and then started asking about metal detecting, machines, costs, and if they would detect titanium. After a few more questions, I found out his newly wed son had just lost his wedding band playing volley ball, and was not going home until he found it.

The park was only about 20 minutes away, so I got dressed and drove up there. I had planned to go detecting earlier on Friday anyway (but didn't make it) so the machine was already in the truck. Too, not knowing what to expect, I also grabbed my Infinium just to have a second machine. My coworker met me there since I've never met his son before.

Wow, this place was an outdoor, sand filled, volley ball complex with at least a dozen courts, all full with young people. Now it's about 1000 hrs and these yound adults are showing no signs of slowing down (feeling really, really old about now.) After a brief introduction, the son shows me about where he thought the ring landed. This place is at least 6" deep with fluffy beach sand. I set my Garrett AT Pro for Pro Zero Mode, did a quick pre-func test, and started swinging.

First target was a metal stob that marked the corner of this court. I continued on and within maybe 15 seconds, hit another target. The ATPs ID read about 65 I believe. I scooped and missed. So I started swinging again and reacquired the target. This time I pinpointed, scooped again and came up with a distinct rattle. When the sand finished draining, I saw the pretty black titanium ring in the bottom that I promptly handed back to the son. That fella was really happy and jumping for joy; the entire volley ball area, probably close to two hundred people, erupted in loud cheering. I felt like a rock star for a minute. Too, it must have looked pretty good to the casual observer because it was only a couple of minutes, if that, of detecting when I found the ring. He was pretty accurate about where it landed.

It sure is a good feeling knowing I helped keep that young fella from sleeping in the dog house... :)

Now that is one heck of a good metal detecting story. I'm thinking the crowd was singing metal detecting hero to the tune of Juke Box Hero.

Great Adventure! That 'distinct rattle' is a good mention...nothing like it..even in the dead dark, scooping for a tab signal, a guy can feel or hear a heavy ring rattle in the scoop even with the phones on...an experience only Detectorists understand...

Thanks for sharing the story, and fantastic job not only being the ring finding hero, but also a stellar ambassador of the hobby!

Great Adventure! That 'distinct rattle' is a good mention...nothing like it..even in the dead dark, scooping for a tab signal, a guy can feel or hear a heavy ring rattle in the scoop even with the phones on...an experience only Detectorists understand...

I completely agree. Even wearing headphones, I can hear AND feel the distinct difference between a coin rattling around in the scoop versus a rock or bottle cap rattling around the scoop.

Now why did you go and do something like that with a campus full of students watching you? Now there is going to be a buying rush on detectors and you're going to lose all your spots. Than again in a few months you'll be able to buy as many of whatever kind you want used for a really good deal. :lol: Way to go on the return.

Great story! You went from "old guy with a metal detector", to "expert ring seeker rock star hero with high tech professional equipment" It's a good thing you found it right away, while you still had their attention!

Tell them that's something they can't do with a smart phone.

That will make them think.

Back
Top Bottom