• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

NOX taking on water?

ColoradoMike

I know of at least two Equinox 800 that had to be repaired/replaced because water got in just behind the screen. If they have to repair/replace a lot of these 800 detectors, it might make it even longer before some of the back orders are sent out. And then again, maybe Minelab has put a priority on replacement parts inventory as well. So maybe no biggie. Hope the two cases I know of are not the norm though.

And in those two cases, do you know where the entry point for the water was?
When I hear stories by others, about how the detector got so hot, that the LCD fails, so now I wonder, since its getting that hot, is the material that was used now warping and breaking a seal?

No don't know. All I know is that both detectors were being used in Virginia Beach area.

there have likely been 10s of thousands of equinox detectors sold by now. The backlogs are over, many dealers have them in stock ready to ship.

So with all the detectors in hands for months now, you are worried because 2 (TWO) have had water failures? Sheesh, there are excals with 200ft ratings that fail every day. Everything "waterproof" fails eventually. You are making a big deal over nothing.

I’ve seen 3 on the forums so far. Thousands sold, maybe hundreds submerged more than once (maybe not that many). In any case, if there is a problem with the case design, than by the end of the summer, it will begin to be evident.

I agree that waterproof stuff leaked sometimes - the issue will boil down to how many are reported and whether confidence in the machine will be impaired as was the case with the CTX.

As far as replacement being an impediment to getting NOx units to customers. I doubt that is an issue.

Time will tell, but with a 3 year warranty, I would not hesitate to submerge mine.

Just got word from the person I sold my Equinox 800 to that they have to send it in due to water intrusion. Unit was not submerged, just used in wading and in the rain.

4 forum reports that I have seen. How many Nox owners on the 3 forums I frequent?? How many of those have actually been in the water??

Not implying that it’s a statistically significant portion of the Noxes sold, Still, it sort of reminds me of the drowned CTX’s.

Time will tell.

there have likely been 10s of thousands of equinox detectors sold by now. The backlogs are over, many dealers have them in stock ready to ship.

So with all the detectors in hands for months now, you are worried because 2 (TWO) have had water failures? Sheesh, there are excals with 200ft ratings that fail every day. Everything "waterproof" fails eventually. You are making a big deal over nothing.

One post questioning a possible issue doesn't seem like making a big deal...:?:

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some sales numbers. Thousands seems reasonable, but tens of thousands? I'm thinking there are way fewer weirdos out there digging around for pennies AND switching machines than some of us think. :lol:

I only know of around 4 ATPs that drowned, total, ever...

They said the nox would beat the ATP in every way, already caught up with the number of drowned...:lol:

<°)))>{

I'm on 6 forums and 4 international social media sites... BUT only heard of four issues with the NOX and water.

Consider the recall rates and defective parts rate in auto manufacturing. In context, Minelab is doing great!

Attachments

• recal rate.jpg
    recal rate.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 188
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 197
I'm on 6 forums and 4 international social media sites... BUT only heard of four issues with the NOX and water.

Consider the recall rates and defective parts rate in auto manufacturing. In context, Minelab is doing great!

Good point David, but that won't ease the fever with those suffering from EDS (Equinox Derangement Syndrome). It's becoming a pandemic.

I only know of around 4 ATPs that drowned, total, ever...

They said the nox would beat the ATP in every way, already caught up with the number of drowned...:lol:

<°)))>{

Were you not around when the ATP was first released? There were a LOT of problems, and yes, drownings in the first couple years.

One post questioning a possible issue doesn't seem like making a big deal...:?:

Any "gnashing of teeth" because a just-released detector has a few people reporting an issue IS attempting to make a "big deal" about it (about nothing).

Just like the wastes of posts about "how many hate their equinox" and "who regrets buying an equinox" types of posts. Just looking for made-up drama.

My 600 "drowned" in Croatia, on day 2 of my 10 day vaca. In the process of replacing the control unit via warranty.

How many Nox detectors have been sold that have never been in the water and likely will never be dunked? I'm going to bet that only a small percentage have been dunked and that will definitely askew the failure rate numbers.

Back
Top Bottom