Garrett ace 300... Vdi numbers jump like crazy

collegefbfan

I am a newbie. Got my new ACE 300. I have done a lot of detecting in my yard. I know it takes awhile to become familiar with the hobby and the machine. I have found some things. A few coins, but when detecting, my numbers are all over the place. Like, I might hit an 87 for a second. Then, it jumps to 12, 48, etc. Is it power lines, trashy ground, operator's error? Any help be welcomed.

Like I just threw a dime on a carpeted floor, have my detector set on coin mode. Like nowhere near the coin, it is silent. Then, it hits 48, 58, 99, 42, 47, etc. Why not stay consistent considering it is on top and not even buried? If doing it inside was not a good idea, I did it outside. Didn't jump as much, but still erratic a little. Any ideas.

I am a newbie. Got my new ACE 300. I have done a lot of detecting in my yard. I know it takes awhile to become familiar with the hobby and the machine. I have found some things. A few coins, but when detecting, my numbers are all over the place. Like, I might hit an 87 for a second. Then, it jumps to 12, 48, etc. Is it power lines, trashy ground, operator's error? Any help be welcomed.

Slow down turn your sensitivity to 75-80 percent max, make sure you are ground balanced, if all that is true your just in a trashy area and rusty iron will do that. Or bad EMI.

Like I just threw a dime on a carpeted floor, have my detector set on coin mode. Like nowhere near the coin, it is silent. Then, it hits 48, 58, 99, 42, 47, etc. Why not stay consistent considering it is on top and not even buried? If doing it inside was not a good idea, I did it outside. Didn't jump as much, but still erratic a little. Any ideas.

Don't do it in the house too much EMI, it will not be stable.

I don't think it's about the DD.

If you're outside holding the coil up away from anything do you get noise? If you move it from the same spot does it make noise?

If both answers are no then try waving a coin in front of it. If that behaves as expected then try what Big Trebel suggests. It's likely what you're swinging it over.

Hey guys, thanks. I detected with a pro in my yard yesterday. He has been doing it for years and have me a lot of good pointers. He suggested waving it in the air to see if I had a lot of noise. I didn't. I did the coin test also. It seemed better. This yard must be full of trash: nails, bolts, screws, a center cap off an old hubcap, a huge iron ring, etc. must be the yard. I am digging a different one today. Stay tuned.

Well, I detected a different yard this a.m. The good news: it was way cleaner than my yard. The bad news: the ground was way harder than my yard, way tougher. Found a few older pennies, not that old though, a key to a Saturn, and these odd weight looking blocks.

Well, I detected a different yard this a.m. The good news: it was way cleaner than my yard. The bad news: the ground was way harder than my yard, way tougher. Found a few older pennies, not that old though, a key to a Saturn, and these odd weight looking blocks.

I love the spots with deep trash. It takes longer but I get more goodies from those spots than anywhere else.

For future reference, carpeting won't hide the nails in the floor ;)

But when I wasn't near the coins the MD made no noise, like it wasn't picking up any nails.

Coincidence of direction floor joints ran....sheeting (subfloor) nailed to floor joists.

Very well could have been EMI as mentioned, I only mentioned nails as another possibility. Anything indoors is seldom a good idea.

A neighboring house could have WiFi, a nearby airport or military installation could have radar and a cell tower could be nearby or your smart phone could be the problem.

Hi; I have a Garrett ATMax and it is also a bit noisy sometimes. I was able to clear up a substantial amount of that noise by running the coil cable differently. I took the cable loose from the detector and straightened it out then ran the cable up the coil shaft in a straight line for at least six inches. I secured it there with electrical tape. then I wound the cable normally around the shaft up to the detector. This has helped on several different older detectors I have. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom