Mining labs! (or white's?)

0z0ne

Howdy folks!

I'm here now with some questions that others have probably asked, but here all the same.

So I've put nearly 200 hours on my F4 since this past September, and have really been happy with it. Though i don't plan on parting with it, I am looking forward to an upgrade! I would have purchased a higher end machine last year, but I didn't have the money. Anyway!

I am contemplating a handful of detectors while trying to figure out pricing, deals and saving money!

I am probably going the minelab way (etrac,se pro, or safari), but have been hearing and reading many good things about the v3i and vx3 too!

Fact of the matter is, though I wasn't intending on going for either of the latter two, I did initially learn on a late 80's white's and had lots of fun with it!

I don't mind a learning curve at all, in fact I am drawn to complexities and experiences like that. I enjoy dedicating time to hobbies and activities that require practice and research for optimum results.

I've heard plenty of wonderful things about the top tier minelabs, but here are a few questions. I've heard the battery life on the Safari in particular isn't too great. What would y'all say is your average? How does it compare to the battery life of the se pro and etrac?

I'm also aware that the depth is the same or very close, but the processing speed and recovery of the Safari is rather slow compared to the other two. How slow do you reckon? Coming from a mid-low tier fisher, will it be a huge issue? I tend to swing on the slower side anyway, since (no matter WHAT detector is used) the results tend to be better that way and more "keeper" target are found.

For those of you who have owned the Safari and the e-trac, do you stand by the benefits of the two tone ferrous ID? I have heard it's quite accurate compared to the Safari ID (esp at greater depths), but is that something I should factor in to my decision process?

If I had unlimited funds I would probably go for the e-trac, but would always be wodnering about the Safari or Se Pro.

If you want to "sell" your detector choice to me, try and offer a little detail! Most people say "If you have the money, or can save enough, go for the e-trac", but I want to hear more! lol

Hey White's guys! I admire you like all the rest of our clan! Tell me why you love your detector!

Depth-wise, is the concentric coil really subpar compared to fellow minelab users? Target separation? Target ID and depth relataively accurate? Recovery speed? It's been a while since I've used a concentric style machine and I honestly can't recall what it was like.

I am totally up for considering this brand, especially since so many users stand by their choice like monoliths!

I'm weighing prices and packages and still in the early stages of deciding, so hit me up!

Thank you friends!

I've owned both a Safari and currently use an etrac. The Safari is just as deep and will sound off on silver just like any other high end Minelab.

But...The Safari is more easily fooled by deep iron and deep rusty nails. You can combat this by switching to ferrous sounds and/or cross-saving. It is just a little more awkard to do than an etrac or se pro with quick mask or iron mask.

TTF is a niche mode to use imo. It's helpful in heavy iron or nail enviroments. 90% of my hunting I use multi-conductivity sounds.

Battery life is the same. Both come with a rechargable battery pack and a pack so you can feed your own akalines. I use Sanyo Eneloops rechargables and keep the rechargable battery pack as a backup. The Eneloops last 20+ hours. If you are going to spring $800 and up might as well spend another $40 and get some decent rechargable batteries and a charger right?

Recovery on the Safari is a bit slower--its all relative though-- like saying a slug is slower than a turtle. :grin:

Looking back, I'd pick a se pro or the etrac over a Safari. Quick mask (or Iron mask) combined with both ferrous and conductive numbers on one screen makes it worth the cost for me. Another thing I cant really put my finger on why, but the Safari just wasnt all that fun for me to use.

What about an F75 since you seem pleased with the Fisher. Depth is just as good as the Minelabs in my experience with Explorers and its light weight, large display, and fast sweep speed are always a nice thing.

I've not read much into the fisher, but I'll start now! Thanks for the tip, I strangely hadn't thought of that, lol

What about an F75 since you seem pleased with the Fisher. Depth is just as good as the Minelabs in my experience with Explorers and its light weight, large display, and fast sweep speed are always a nice thing.

For sure check out the F75 ltd! Holler if you have questions on any of them! Bart

Back
Top Bottom