Odd dart-shaped object?

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Anyone have any ideas on what this object might be? I found it at the former site of an old school, but it's clearly not terribly old. The only marking is the "Taiwan" stamp on the one fin, and it's fairly lightweight - maybe about the same as a house key or two. Rang up just a little shy of penny range, about 67-70 on the zero to 99 scale on the Garrett 400.

Thanks!
ea37da91479dbe83eaf8b410ce894ff3.jpg
25f31b78fc505ec4d6298b717ee1c5a1.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I think there is a piece missing on the nose end.
It looks like a noise making, bomb toy from the 50's that held a cap in the nose. You would load a cap in the nose-piece, throw it and when it landed on it's nose on a hard surface, the cap would discharge with a "Bang"

Hah hah, that's exactly what it is, a rocket bomb for caps!
You must be under 45 years old:lol::laughing:

I wonder if you can even get caps any more?
We used to roll up about 20 of those suckers, put them on the street and hit them with a hammer, my ears are still ringing:lol::laughing:

You could also scrape them with a nail and they would flare out like a miniature firework - Oh you don't know what you are missing:lol:

It looks like a noise making, bomb toy from the 50's that held a cap in the nose. You would load a cap in the nose-piece, throw it and when it landed on it's nose on a hard surface, the cap would discharge with a "Bang"

That's what it is. I found one in my own yard my first year. Missing the dome though.

That's what it is. I found one in my own yard my first year. Missing the dome and spring though.

We used to roll up about 20 of those suckers, put them on the street and hit them with a hammer, my ears are still ringing:lol::laughing:

You could also scrape them with a nail and they would flare out like a miniature firework - Oh you don't know what you are missing:lol:

I have some rolls of paper caps, I think you can still buy them... I had more than a couple of those drop cap bombs...

<°)))>{

Pretty close - 46! I must have just missed the craze :grin: Apparently the "fidget spinners" of the 50's and 60's :lol:

Everyone is right..

Thanks for the pic of the intact "bomber", 1GLI - now that I see the whole thing, I do vaguely remember seeing them before. I was surely too young to be trusted with them though :lol:

Thanks for the quick ID, everyone!

I'm still a few months away from my 45th birthday and remember having tons of those things back in the 70's. Jarts were still my favorite before the nanny state took them away.

IGLI is probably right but I seen part of a bathroom sink stopper that also looked like that.

I grew up in the 60's so I played with these a lot.
Only had the paper cap rolls back then, and this toy was a good reason to use any of your newly learned logic and math skills when we were young.
You had to figure out exactly how many caps to fold up and stuff in there to make the biggest bang but avoid putting so many in that the moving part wouldn't move enough to set them off.
Throwing them up in the air was fun, sneaking up to a friend and throwing them hard at their feet from behind and seeing how high they would jump and freak out was funner.
Good times....great memories.

Oops, see it's solved, posted on your other thread. This one looks near identical. In my day they used paper caps, looks like later ones used the plastic cylinder caps.

Attachments

• Cap rocket NA.jpg
    Cap rocket NA.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 253
I really don't mean this as a dig on you but...

WOW!!!

:laughing:

I had one of the really old ones that took the paper caps. Can't say they were fun, but... We didn't have smart phones or xbox's in those days so...

I wish I could find one of those! I totally remember those and paper caps. Was in a small town corner store the other day and they had a pack of roll caps on and end. No cap gun or anything but a roll of caps! Nearly bought them. Lol.

Cool find!

About two or three rolls of caps side by side and a big hammer wasn't quite as fun but close.
Kind of a beta model before these became popular.
Way louder than the bang these give off even fully loaded.
I still have a slight whistle in one ear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom