My Old Whites Surf Master II

dirtykneese

Forum Supporter
I was just wondering , How many of you out their still have a Whites Surf Master II ?

I bought mine back in 1989 when they came out with them. Never had any trouble with mine. I have sent it in 2 times over the years for a check up.

I don't know how many times it has paid for its self. I know a lot
. Back than not many people in my area water hunted.

You could find gobs of rings. Every one in my family had new wedding bands and other types of jewelry.

Now my wife gets first bids.. I get what is left over.

So, are there many of you out their that had one and wish you had it back ?

Anyone still using theirs..

I have tried other water detectors, Like the Mine Labs. Did not like the music, and it was top heavy for me.

Had a Tesoro Tiger Shark. That was a lot like the Whites, but much heaver.
I did use that one for a few years, but always went back to my Whites..

I don't think I will ever sell it. It still looks like new.

Thanks for looking at my old water machine.. KEN :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Last edited:
Is that the purple model? I have a friend who hunt with the purple model although he had Mr.Bill mod it to make it more sensitive to smaller gold and he kicks butt with his... I always wanted that model but used the PI PRO with very success before "upgrading" to the Dual Field.. sure wish I never sold the PRO. :roll:

Sounds like you had some good times with the Surfmaster! Even if it's an old model, would you still recommend it to somebody looking to upgrade?

I'm really tired of having to stay out of the shallows with my TK4, but most of the highly recommended salt-water-friendly machines cost more than my car (yeah, a 10-year old K-car in Japan can be had for about $1200 if you're lucky)! Even having pretty good luck with clad and jewelry, I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify dropping a couple grand on one of the real nice models.

But yeah, if I can find something reliable for salt water (even just for wading) that people are selling used and won't break the bank, that would be optimal.

You think something like a Surfmaster falls into that category? Anything else that used to be popular for salt water hunters 'back in the day' but maybe has fallen out of style now?

Is that the purple model? I have a friend who hunt with the purple model although he had Mr.Bill mod it to make it more sensitive to smaller gold and he kicks butt with his... I always wanted that model but used the PI PRO with very success before "upgrading" to the Dual Field.. sure wish I never sold the PRO. :roll:

Surf Master II was a vlf.

Sounds like you had some good times with the Surfmaster! Even if it's an old model, would you still recommend it to somebody looking to upgrade?

I'm really tired of having to stay out of the shallows with my TK4, but most of the highly recommended salt-water-friendly machines cost more than my car (yeah, a 10-year old K-car in Japan can be had for about $1200 if you're lucky)! Even having pretty good luck with clad and jewelry, I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify dropping a couple grand on one of the real nice models.

But yeah, if I can find something reliable for salt water (even just for wading) that people are selling used and won't break the bank, that would be optimal.

You think something like a Surfmaster falls into that category? Anything else that used to be popular for salt water hunters 'back in the day' but maybe has fallen out of style now?

This Surf Master is not for salt water. Fresh water only. They do make salt water detectors.. KEN

This Surf Master is not for salt water. Fresh water only. They do make salt water detectors.. KEN

:wow:Ooooo, that's good to know. That would be an expensive mistake to make.

Bit of a deceptive name though, isn't it? Fresh water tends not to have much surf or many surfers, right? Hehe.

:wow:Ooooo, that's good to know. That would be an expensive mistake to make.

Bit of a deceptive name though, isn't it? Fresh water tends not to have much surf or many surfers, right? Hehe.

The surfmaster pulse (which includes the Dual Field) IS for salt water. The one mentioned by the OP was a White's Surfmaster II Amphibian. That was a single frequency VLF that just doesn't work very well in salt water.

The surfmaster pulse (which includes the Dual Field) IS for salt water. The one mentioned by the OP was a White's Surfmaster II Amphibian. That was a single frequency VLF that just doesn't work very well in salt water.

Oh yes, definitely familiar with the whole single-frequency over salt water issue. My little TK4 gives me all kinds of chirps and squawks if I get it too close to the surf line. Accidentally let a wave submerge the coil once-- not good! Took a good ten minutes for it to stop freaking out.

Been reading up a bit more on them and it does sound like the salt-water friendly surfmaster machines are really solid. Very interesting.

I have a surf pi pro that I love and use all the time. It has the flat 950 coil. If that breaks I don't know what I'll do. I use it at fresh water lakes and salt water beaches.

I just got a pi pro back from Centerville with new headphones as they had to be replaced when I bought it. Haven't tried it yet but hope to get out with it this coming week. First time with a pi. stay tuned:?:

well back from the hunt with the new to me pi pro. LEAKER-after the 31/2 hour mark I started hearing softer and weaker noise. look at the box and its loaded with condensation. Brought it home and the box has about an inch of water in it. Batteries all hot and bothered, rusted to crap.black water everywhere. i dried it out and looks like it might survive, just have to get another battery holder and hook up another 9V style connector. Pretty freaking aggravating. Washed everything with isopropyl alcohol. Hopefully not fried. As for the hunt another tungsten ring, junk ring, junk earing,junk chain,2 pairs of sunglasses,9 tent stakes,uncounted pull tabs and bottle caps,a couple screws oh a $1 coin and 3 quarters and 2 dimes plus 3 pennies. I'd say it was sh$t overall. Not a good start at all LOL. of course what it looks like and if it works are 2 different stories-we will see.

well back from the hunt with the new to me pi pro. LEAKER-after the 31/2 hour mark I started hearing softer and weaker noise. look at the box and its loaded with condensation. Brought it home and the box has about an inch of water in it. Batteries all hot and bothered, rusted to crap.black water everywhere. i dried it out and looks like it might survive, just have to get another battery holder and hook up another 9V style connector. Pretty freaking aggravating. Washed everything with isopropyl alcohol. Hopefully not fried. As for the hunt another tungsten ring, junk ring, junk earing,junk chain,2 pairs of sunglasses,9 tent stakes,uncounted pull tabs and bottle caps,a couple screws oh a $1 coin and 3 quarters and 2 dimes plus 3 pennies. I'd say it was sh$t overall. Not a good start at all LOL. of course what it looks like and if it works are 2 different stories-we will see.
Where is it leaking from? What color is the O ring seal if its black replace those were known to leak you need a new orange one... make sure where it sits is free of grit... I had the PI PRO it found me a lot of gold...

Yes it has the orange seal, I just got it back from getting new headphones and a check out from Garrett/whites. I also ordered a new o ring. I washed everything off with isopropyl alcohol-seems ok as I touched a 9v to the contacts and got it working. Have to order a new battery holder though-boy did it get fried. Just not seeing much gold around.

Back
Top Bottom