Bay Area-Alviso, California

andrewlai

Hi,

Anyone knows if Alviso is off-limit for metal detecting? I just looked at some old maps and I am adamant that this place should produce lots of old coins! Please comment. Thanks!

Hi,

Anyone knows if Alviso is off-limit for metal detecting? I just looked at some old maps and I am adamant that this place should produce lots of old coins! Please comment. Thanks!

No. Not off limits (why would you think it might be?)

All the stuff out on the marsh land of Alviso proper has no doubt been swamped out and silted over.

There's a club in San Jose where you can no doubt bump into people who've researched anything that's not a secret to the history books:

http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/treasurehunters.html

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the input! I thought Alviso is a ghost town so that's why I assumed it is off-limit. I am still pretty new to the Milpitas area and I saw the marsh field every time when I drove by 237. Do you know if those marsh field are owned by private or public? Have you done any metal detecting over there?
Also, I've just recently received a permit to dig Ed Levin County park. Any experience on that?

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the input! I thought Alviso is a ghost town so that's why I assumed it is off-limit. I am still pretty new to the Milpitas area and I saw the marsh field every time when I drove by 237. Do you know if those marsh field are owned by private or public? Have you done any metal detecting over there?
Also, I've just recently received a permit to dig Ed Levin County park. Any experience on that?

I have not personally done Alviso. But I heard of some guys in the San Jose club who toyed with the idea and who I heard went and dinked around out there. But as I say, it's all marsh paddy swamp land. So stuff will probably sink beyond reach in that type soil. Personally I can think of better options for md'ing in San Jose area than that type soil/terrain.

As for public or private, ..... I dunno. I don't think there's anything to stop anyone from simply walking or boating out there, is there ?

Join the San Jose club, and ask around for who's researched or hunted there. Did you go to the club link I gave you ?

I have not personally done Alviso. But I heard of some guys in the San Jose club who toyed with the idea and who I heard went and dinked around out there. But as I say, it's all marsh paddy swamp land. So stuff will probably sink beyond reach in that type soil. Personally I can think of better options for md'ing in San Jose area than that type soil/terrain.

As for public or private, ..... I dunno. I don't think there's anything to stop anyone from simply walking or boating out there, is there ?

Join the San Jose club, and ask around for who's researched or hunted there. Did you go to the club link I gave you ?

Yes, I did check on the website you gave me and I am planning to join them very soon! Thank you so much for your advice again! I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom