I'm a tellin ya it was my idea

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I had my own satellite systems business that I started back in 1985 as a side job to dairy farming. I was active at my business for over 20 years but then slowly got out of it. Anyways way back when I started I said many a times I wish that I could figure out how to put a remote locator of some kind, a button you pushed to make the remote beep or whatever so you could find it. Well we had Direct TV until the other day when our contract was up, we switched to Dish Network (I do not like it at all) as our programing cost went way down. I was looking over the receiver and noticed yup you guessed it a remote locator. You push the button on the receiver and the remote beeps. I had the idea if doing it along time ago but not the brains.

I had my own satellite systems business that I started back in 1985 as a side job to dairy farming. I was active at my business for over 20 years but then slowly got out of it. Anyways way back when I started I said many a times I wish that I could figure out how to put a remote locator of some kind, a button you pushed to make the remote beep or whatever so you could find it. Well we had Direct TV until the other day when our contract was up, we switched to Dish Network (I do not like it at all) as our programing cost went way down. I was looking over the receiver and noticed yup you guessed it a remote locator. You push the button on the receiver and the remote beeps. I had the idea if doing it along time ago but not the brains.

Ski, would you mind telling me why you dont like Dish? my wife is buggin me to drop cable tv , internet, and phone..(package deal) and sign up with dish. supposed to be cheaper, more channels...etc. but i dont like the 2 years signup. and ive had sattelite before, and i know they lose signal when a dark cloud passes lol

SkiWhiz, That's a good story. It's a lot harder with implementation.
You would think with all the sparks. tripped circuit breakers, burnt table clothes, left over parts, and all the other things growing up tinkering with electronics I would of done it :lol:. I think back and can still hear my Mother looking at me saying "Steven what are you doing now" is that going to be worse when you get done with it. :lol:

Ski, would you mind telling me why you dont like Dish? my wife is buggin me to drop cable tv , internet, and phone..(package deal) and sign up with dish. supposed to be cheaper, more channels...etc. but i dont like the 2 years signup. and ive had sattelite before, and i know they lose signal when a dark cloud passes lol
After my "big dish" days known as C band I installed Direct and Dish systems. I always favored Direct as I liked their receivers more they didn't have to point as far towards the ground,etc. but now a days that doesn't matter, you get whatever receiver they have no different brands/models to choose from and the dishes are now not the small 18" like they were when I was installing them (and I made sure the signal was peaked so it didn't loose signal unless a heavy rain or snow covering the dish). I am not used to the whole dish network thing, you change a channel and this menu comes up and then that thing a ma bob comes up,etc. The programming is cheaper but of course they put the one or two channels you like on the next package up so they will make more money. Both of them requires a two year contract. Go to a friends where you can see and play with each system to see what ya like. I sure miss the more than 600 channels the big dish gave us and for free for along time then they went to scrambled.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 293
I had Direct TV for years. I too was drawn in by the cheaper programming that DISH offered and switched to them a couple years ago. Hated it from Day 1. Ski, your hatred will not get better it will only grow. I was so displeased with DISH that I returned to Direct before the 2 year contract was even up. It was worth the $145 I ended up paying to get out of my contract. I'm back to Direct TV and will never go to DISH again.

I had Direct TV for years. I too was drawn in by the cheaper programming that DISH offered and switched to them a couple years ago. Hated it from Day 1. Ski, your hatred will not get better it will only grow. I was so displeased with DISH that I returned to Direct before the 2 year contract was even up. It was worth the $145 I ended up paying to get out of my contract. I'm back to Direct TV and will never go to DISH again.
I realize this, told my wife but she had to switch. Oh well no problems I am not a tv watcher I rather be on the computer.

Depends on who you ask :lol: i had direct tv and switched to dish network and im glad i did. Costs less and better customer support. Atleast from my experience.

For a very short time Sylvania had a remote locator when you turned the tv on at the set. Quite loud also.

Not sure why it did not last, at times would come in handy.

You can do it with cell phones also, and they sell key rings that will beep to locate your keys. A lot of phones also have GPS location devices so you can pull your phone up on a map if you lose it or it's stolen, or if you think your GF is cheating (jk) :lol:. Direct TV use to be free if you knew the right card burning people, or so I hear. :D

Years back, I had thought of a chat site where you always stay in touch with friends and family. Maybe some games etc. My girlfriend at the time and her friends talked me out of creating the Internet site. They said there were to many chat sites. I said it was more than that, it was away to chat daily with family/friends and post photos etc. Couple yrs. later Myspace and facebook come out. I'm no longer with her, but wish I was.......... SO I could kill her and put her out of my MISERY!

By the way Ski, the Dish is way cool and you get much more BANG for your BUCK! Though I am a PC person too. I watch news, movies, shows, play poker and talk to friends. I even belong to a weird forum...... about, metal detecting of all things.

Loose my remotes all the time! And my keys and my list that has all things I'm suppose to remember.:laughing:
Anyways I'm a DISH fan. I've had both but prefer DISH.

Dish network's customer service around here is horrible. A two week wait for a service call prompted our switch to direct tv. Dish seemed to be much more prone to weather outages than direct tv has been. C-band was fun, but I have to admit, I don't miss constantly switching satellites to get from channel to channel.

I had cable but once they kept raising the prices I dropped it and went back to simple tv antenna. With 100 channels and nothing on we wanted to watch.

I remember a day when water was free.

Dish and Direct TV are very much disliked.

First here is Dish: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-02/dish-network-the-meanest-company-in-america
If their employees are not happy, their clients won't be happy either.

This is Direct TV: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-hated-companies-in-america-2012-6?op=1
#14 most hated company in america.

My son worked for one of these companies, it was horrible for him, he had no life outside his work, on call at all times. I'm surprised they let him sleep.

I'm not in any way connected with any provider of internet or cable and will not benefit by what I've shown you here. ~Jill

Back
Top Bottom