How to prank a detectorist

TK-421

Step one: Get a nice big handful of old washers and nuts.
Step two: Fling them in every direction all over your detectorist's favorite search area.
Step three: Sit back, watch, and laugh.

Yeah, I hit one of my favorite local beaches yesterday. The volleyball pits usually have some clad for me when the tide isn't good for wet-sand detecting. This time I started getting hits right away! And they sounded just like 100yen (almost $1) coins! But then I started turning up washer after washer after washer (with a few nuts thrown in too). At first I thought they must have done a really bad job putting together some beach hardware at that location. But no matter where I went on that section of beach I just kept finding these stupid washers! I did notice a little security camera nearby. I bet somebody on the other end was having a good laugh. :laughing:

(That's all my finds for the afternoon- junk jewelry, hardware galore, and about $6 in clad.)

Attachments

• File_000.jpg
    File_000.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 413
It is kind of funny in a way. I wonder if you'll end up on one of those funny TV shows you have over there? :D

Not cool but then again throw them in a hardware bin somewhere. Never know when you'll need a washer for something. I keep all my nuts and bolts I find as long as they are not rusted out.

Last edited:
When I was the president of our local club, I used to plant cheap gold colored coins in the local parks. The look on people's faces when they uncovered a gold coin was priceless.

When I was the president of our local club, I used to plant cheap gold colored coins in the local parks. The look on people's faces when they uncovered a gold coin was priceless.

While working a city park that at one time was a school I cut a plug and at the bottom of the hole I saw the rim of a yellow coin. With trembling hands I gently extracted the coin and very carefully removed the dirt to find one of those danged gold plated quarters.

While working a city park that at one time was a school I cut a plug and at the bottom of the hole I saw the rim of a yellow coin. With trembling hands I gently extracted the coin and very carefully removed the dirt to find one of those danged gold plated quarters.

That's cruel :(

It is kind of funny in a way. I wonder if you'll end up on one of those funny TV shows you have over there? :D

Hahaha, I wouldn't be surprised! I've accidentally ended up on TV over here several times already (once it was on a popular, nationally broadcast show-- super embarrassing when even the cashiers at the supermarket were like - 'hey! we saw you on TV!').

Not cool but then again throw them in a hardware bin somewhere. Never know when you'll need a washer for something. I keep all my nuts and bolts I find as long as they are not rusted out.

Oh yeah-- my husband builds robots. All the hardware I find goes right to his workbench.

They look Stainless? If so, then you win......:yes:

Yep! Stainless and in pretty good shape! Not bad, but still not money...:no:

Hahahaha, fake gold coins?! That's taking it up a notch! :lol:

I have an old Air Force buddy living in FL. He put on his Facebook one time and said he thought about tossing a handful of BB's in the sand and just sit back and watch all the metal detector people just go nuts, he got a good laugh just thinking about

If I don't find anything on my next beach hunt, I might just get rid of over a thousand ball bearings i have for slingshot target shooting......that should keep the next detectorist busy for about 6 weeks..lol

Do you have any place to detect for WW 2 relic? the whole island was a battle field.

Hahaha, I wouldn't be surprised! I've accidentally ended up on TV over here several times already (once it was on a popular, nationally broadcast show-- super embarrassing when even the cashiers at the supermarket were like - 'hey! we saw you on TV!').

Pray tell, what were you doing when you were filmed?

Pray tell, what were you doing when you were filmed?

Checking into a hostel, actually. We (husband and I) were backpacking around Kyushu and had a reservation at a cute little hostel in Nagasaki. We walk on up with our big backpacks, knock on the door and are met by a TV crew! "We are veryfamous Japanese TV show!" they said. Riiiiiight...

It apparently is a popular show that features foreigners in Japan encountering cultural situations. They were doing an episode about Nagasaki, so they talked to us about about some of the aspects of the hostel that were unique to Nagasaki as well traditionally Japanese. Of course we kind of subverted their expectations by speaking Japanese and already being familiar with Japanese guesthouse customs. The translator was not happy.

We don't actually have TV at our apartment, so we didn't know the show and didn't think much of it (there are lots of weird local shows in all parts of Japan, after all, just like local news channels in the US). But several months later a friend of ours in Tokyo sent us a photo of us on her TV. The caption read "American couple from Okinawa visiting Nagasaki."

Everything airs later in Okinawa than in the mainland, so another month later we suddenly start getting messages from all our friends here being like "OMG you were on TV last night!"and "I can't believe you got to meet xxxxxx(famous tv personality)." But yeah, it got crazy when random shopkeepers were like-- "Ooo, you're the couple from Okinawa we saw on TV!"

Checking into a hostel, actually. We (husband and I) were backpacking around Kyushu and had a reservation at a cute little hostel in Nagasaki. We walk on up with our big backpacks, knock on the door and are met by a TV crew! "We are veryfamous Japanese TV show!" they said. Riiiiiight...

It apparently is a popular show that features foreigners in Japan encountering cultural situations. They were doing an episode about Nagasaki, so they talked to us about about some of the aspects of the hostel that were unique to Nagasaki as well traditionally Japanese. Of course we kind of subverted their expectations by speaking Japanese and already being familiar with Japanese guesthouse customs. The translator was not happy.

We don't actually have TV at our apartment, so we didn't know the show and didn't think much of it (there are lots of weird local shows in all parts of Japan, after all, just like local news channels in the US). But several months later a friend of ours in Tokyo sent us a photo of us on her TV. The caption read "American couple from Okinawa visiting Nagasaki."

Everything airs later in Okinawa than in the mainland, so another month later we suddenly start getting messages from all our friends here being like "OMG you were on TV last night!"and "I can't believe you got to meet xxxxxx(famous tv personality)." But yeah, it got crazy when random shopkeepers were like-- "Ooo, you're the couple from Okinawa we saw on TV!"

LOL. Yes, Japanese TV has some real weird shows. Some have been transplanted with more or less success to the US. Ninja Warrior is one such show.

Anyway, I hope you and your husband got to try some authentic Nagasaki champon while you where there at one of the Ringer Hut restaurants. It's one of my favorites. I like their saraudon too, but much prefer their champon and an appetizer of their yummy giozas. Darn, I'm hungry now.

Back
Top Bottom