What do you look for or want in a shovel/trowel?

Heath j

Forum Supporter
I am about to have my cousin design a custom trowel for me and I want to know just what you pro's would like in one if you could design it yourself. He has all the capabilities at his work to custom cut and fab so hit me with what ya got. Size, shape, grip, length, width......etc

The most important thing to me in a trowel/digger is having a curve in the blade, it helps in scooping the dirt out of the hole. The Lesche is a well made popular made trowel but I didn't care for it because the blade is too straight. I have used the cheap $10-$20.00 trowels for years and never had a problem with them. Here is what I use

Attachments

• wap_101s.jpg
    wap_101s.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 900
I'm just starting, but what I found that I wanted almost immediately was a largish trowel that I could put my foot on. and a sheath that I could easily put it in.

I'm seriously debating making a belt or something just to carry my digging tool. I felt like I was constantly having to bother with it.

When I needed it, it was over there where I left it for a second. When I didn't need it, it was too close to where I was trying to pinpoint a find.

Get a sheath and make it easily portable

The Lesche Sampson T-Handle Serrated edge is all I needed. I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it so I inquired with Colonial to see if one could be made. Rich told me they make them and he got them in. Not many even carry them, but he does. I use it on lawns (deep signals), in the woods, fields, EVERYWHERE. It's the shizzle for me.

A straight (not offset) double edged blade. The blade area about eight inches long that runs through the handle. I cut plugs by driving the blade into the ground and rocking it. The surface of the blade should be dished a little for removing the dirt. I don't need saw teeth because I never use them. They hang up on things. A sharp blade will cut most roots that I run into, and a straight blade is easier to sharpen. I don't want a guard any larger than necessary because they catch on things and can be pulled out of the sheath. A large end on the handle will help push it into the ground.
3in1aa.gif I have been using my 3 in 1 knife for over 30 years and so far I haven't found anything to match it. It could stand to be a little longer. I've worn some off over the years.

I couldnt do without my Black Ada.I break everything else.Stainless steel.Welding that would hold a tank together.

Attachments

• Picture 150.jpg
    Picture 150.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 753
for coinshooting parks and that sort of spots I use a WWII US marine corp commando knife strong as heck and carries easy, if I head out into rougher terrain I have a multitude of shovels to choose from but did cut down a d handled turf cutter with the flat heavy blade to make it narrower that packs easy and works great, on the rare, rare occaision I encounter sand I have a cheap walmart garden trowel to use.

90% of the time sand/rocks with a little sagebrush/tumbleweeds thrown in. A surplus GI folding shovel works fine. If in the town, my gator digger works fine, the grass is kinda thin here due to the altitude.

Dusty

I made this one out of an old spade. made the tip the same as a garden trowel. The blade is 3" wide on the tip and almost 5 at the top with a length of 9". Total length is 27 inches. It fits in a hammer holder.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 690
Harbor mini folding camp shovel

i found a folding camp shovel at harbor freight
for $6 it has to be one of the best deals going
the item is Item #66561
I am NOT one to promote China made products.....but
comes with pouch...a pick and fold to like 5x5.
If your near a HF check it out

Attachments

• mini shovel.jpg
    mini shovel.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 627
i found a folding camp shovel at harbor freight
for $6 it has to be one of the best deals going
the item is Item #66561
I am NOT one to promote China made products.....but
comes with pouch...a pick and fold to like 5x5.
If your near a HF check it out

Looks similar to my GI shovel. Trust China to copy OUR good stuff!!!!:lol::lol:

Dusty

After breaking 2 Fiscars in 2 days I just ordered a Lesche. Hopefully it will hold up to our rock solid Wisconsin ground.

This thread is from 2010 !!!!!

Who, bring'n back the old ..... could be interesting ? :roll:

Here you go... the best cheapest digger you can buy. Saber Tooth. I just recently got a free lesche and gave it away to stick with this.

Same thing I use, I got it when i started, it came with my used Ace 250 I bought off craigs list. I have used my friends Lesche and I would also rather have mine, it will never break and will out last a regular Lesche, thats for sure. I carry that and also a Sampson T handle for cutting my plugs.

I would like to see an extendable handle Sampson one day for an even lower profile.

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom