Boys & their toys?(England)

Doug

Elite Member
Heavy rain last week made searching the local fields became quite a challenge.

Several field was impossible to search due to the surface water so it was a case of searching the small 'islands' in the fields.

My thanks once again goes to a UK forum member for the ID's on the Edward silver coins.

Thanks for looking..........Doug.

Small cannon just out of the ground.
NWkE8SC.jpg

Small hammered silver coins.
V7XaHzJ.jpg

NCBHnBT.jpg

Pocket watch face.
f1b9Pzd.jpg

Assorted finds.
7Q3ueRw.jpg

Decimal and pre-decimal coins.
z3GKLp5.jpg

1st-4th century Roman coins & 1st-4th century Roman pottery.
t6ndPlt.jpg

Coin size comparison.
EZOWZ1u.jpg

"Way back in the 1830s, Frenchman Casimir Lefaucheux came up with the pinfire concept, which was finally patented in 1835.

This was the first, somewhat-practical self-contained cartridge in the time of muzzleloaders.

During the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, the pinfire cartridge quickly gained popularity.

A pinfire revolver was quite a popular weapon, particularly in France, due to the quickness of reloading."

H2Hsasv.jpg

Two piece button?
yoMmVyS.jpg

Button.
fmdy6L7.jpg

Edward 1st Born 1239-Died 1307 Bristol farthing.

KFYZR9P.jpg

Edward 2nd Born 1284-Died 1327 Canterbury penny.

JIjOcKW.jpg

The thing that puzzled me with the cannon was there was no trunnions or signs of them?

So I went on to the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) data base site to see if I could find a reason for there being no trunnions.

"The cannon may have been a working model of a miniature cannon such as may not have been toys for children but may have been used by adults."
pZOrdiV.jpg

WOW! :wow: What a great selection of finds once again Doug!

As to the toy cannon, reminds of a line from a popular movie over here...

"Careful with that thing, you'll put your eye out!" :D

Once again great finds and thanks for the history lesson, especially about the pinfire cartridges...I'd never heard of them.

Man, it must be nice to find stuff spanning 2000 years! Congrats on a nice variety of finds.

Amazing finds as usual! Just knowing the span of finds that could come out of the ground would have me detecting more often!

Wow Congrats! I enjoy seeing your finds. I can't imagine finding coins and artifacts that old. Where I live I am ecstatic to find any coin over a hundred years old.

Back
Top Bottom