Never Know What You Will Find 2-4-19 Hunt...

TNTGross

Elite Member
Went back to the graveyard today with the 800... My first find was the Eagle Padlock. I do not know the year, but was told that it may be Civil War Era. Then I found the Palmer Gardenglo Compact circa 1927. It still has makeup in it.

Then came the H. Disston & Sons "medallion". From the 1870's. My guess is it came out of a saw.

I think the mouthpiece came out of a trombone. Hard to play, Oh When The Saints Go Marching In, without it...

Also picked up a 1950's Texas Ranger Sheriff badge.

Wheaties: 1917, 1927, 1945, and 1951

I had to stop hunting because my trash bag was so full it was pulling my pants down.

Attachments

• 020419 hunt 01.jpg
    020419 hunt 01.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 020419 hunt 02.jpg
    020419 hunt 02.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 578
  • 020419 hunt 03.jpg
    020419 hunt 03.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 020419 hunt 04.jpg
    020419 hunt 04.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 551
A badge, a trombone mouthpiece, a woman's compact, a piece off of a handsaw, a padlock, a handful of change, and an old private cemetery. If I were a mystery writer I'd have my next book underway.

Your pants were falling off!:lol:

Hate when that happens. Sometimes I have to just carry my finds pouch to stop it from pulling my pants down... :lol:

Very cool finds - I like the lock of course, but I think that's the first, or maybe only the second, mouthpiece I've seen on here. Very nice find IMO.

Great hunt! Congrats!

Thank you... Sure wish I could find a date for the lock. They have Eagle lock catalogs, but I don't want to buy a book just to find the date for one lock.

But, what if you find another lock??? :confused::confused::confused:

Having not seen your previous post yet, I must ask....you are detecting a graveyard???

Simple answer... Yes.

Back in the day, cities didn't have parks as we do now. Graveyards were about the only central property that the lawn was maintained. So, that being the case, these open areas were used as parks. Families would go to graveyards to visit lost loved ones, have picnics, visit others, and let the kids play. This fell out of fashion as parks started popping up and lawn maintenance was simplified.

Granted, if it is private, you need permission. The one I hunt is an old abandoned, city-owned yard. Public property.

I do respect the graves and keep my digs clean, as well as clean up some trash as I go.

Simple answer... Yes.

Back in the day, cities didn't have parks as we do now. Graveyards were about the only central property that the lawn was maintained. So, that being the case, these open areas were used as parks. Families would go to graveyards to visit lost loved ones, have picnics, visit others, and let the kids play. This fell out of fashion as parks started popping up and lawn maintenance was simplified.

Granted, if it is private, you need permission. The one I hunt is an old abandoned, city-owned yard. Public property.

I do respect the graves and keep my digs clean, as well as clean up some trash as I go.
I understand that.....but.....that’s a no fly zone man...

I understand that.....but.....that’s a no fly zone man...

I understand that is the case for some people and they choose not to fly in that zone. But, it is perfectly legal to detect where I am detecting. I respect the dead and they do not bother me.

When I say this place is abandoned, I mean abandoned. The only visitors it gets now are vagrants and vandals. Trees grow out of coffins and crypts. Vagrants defecate next to tombstones. The trash is unbelievable.

I'm about the best visitor these forgotten souls get.

Abandoned and Neglected Jacksonville

I wonder if the mouthpiece is from a bugle or trumpet, maybe someone played taps there for a funeral. Glad you are respecting the place, cleaning it up and not digging too deep.

Back
Top Bottom