Best detector for coins

Texashunter36

So I’ve been at this hobby for over a year now and I’d say I’m pretty comfortable with my Garrett AT Pro, my Uncle who I hunt with has been at it for around 3 years and uses a Max. He’s got a deus but so far he’s not that big of a fan of it, mostly cause he saying it’s not as easy to pinpoint coins.

Anyways, my point being is we’ve both been 99% Garrett guys so there’s not much difference in our hunting between us. We just did a 400 mild circle this weekend and hit some primo looking stuff. At 18 Wheats, 1 Indian, and 1 Rosie I just can’t help but think we’re missing coins.

I feel limited by my Garrett. I get a lot of ground interference in mineral rich soils so I often wonder if that’s masking coins. I also don’t feel like I get much depth. With that being said is there a machine that’s way more suited for coins than the Garrett? I’ll be honest, I don’t really care about the relics...I’m after coins so I’d be happy with something more suited to that. I’ve been thinking Equinox?

So, here is the deal, for the most part you will always feel you may have missed something, so regardless of what machine you get it probably won't be enough if you get what I'm saying.

I've seen guys make some great finds with an ATPro with a bigger coil, however many including myself have thought the need to advance.

I do believe their are better deep coin machines, but it's a sliding scale, based on your affliction to the hobby and your willingness and ability to spend money.

Most would agree it very difficult to beat the minelab FBS machines on deeper silver.

I’m new to detecting and have an AT Pro. So far my two deepest coins have been dimes at around 8”. I’ve given up on targets deeper than that. Not sure if 8” on dimes is deep but they had fantastic strong signals.

FBS/FBS2 detectors like Minelab Explorer, Etrac and CTX on copper and silver coins.
On nickels and smaller gold Coins = Minelab Equinox.

Indian head pennies a close tie between the above detectors.

I’m new to detecting and have an AT Pro. So far my two deepest coins have been dimes at around 8”. I’ve given up on targets deeper than that. Not sure if 8” on dimes is deep but they had fantastic strong signals.

8 inch dimes! Thats impressive for me!:shock: what detector are you using?

I’ve got some deep targets like that as well but by that depth it’s kind of a !!!! shoot as far as single goes. It’s more listening to the tones and going off instinct.
My thing is I’m wanting a machine that cuts out the ground interference better and therefore helps the coin signals be clearer, if possible.

Is it true the Etrac is really hard to learn how to use? What is Bills trashy park program?

Thanks

No,the Etrac is not hard to learn..I think it’s one of the easiest to learn..And definitely one of the best for coins,deep old coins..I usually use goesforevers settings,and either Andy’s coin program or bills trashy park program.All the settings are online,just punch them in and every time you go out all you need to do is noise cancel,push of a button.

I was going to say Atpro works great for coins, which it does.
I suppose E trac is best for deep silver, My never having even held one.

I don't know what situations you're dealing with. I've had times in really trashy parks were I've hunted with very good digital detectors that I am familiar with and found a few coins. The same settings I use in other trashy parks. I'll go swap it for a beep and dig with similar coils and start pulling 2-6" deep coins out every 3'. 15 minutes and 30 coins later I'm thinking "what the ?????" This doesn't happen every time. It could be I need to tweek the settings but swapping detectors works sometimes. I usually bring two or more detectors with me for different situations. Maybe you can change coils, settings like more/less sensitivity or try a different detector and see what happens.

I don't know what situations you're dealing with. I've had times in really trashy parks were I've hunted with very good digital detectors that I am familiar with and found a few coins. The same settings I use in other trashy parks. I'll go swap it for a beep and dig with similar coils and start pulling 2-6" deep coins out every 3'. 15 minutes and 30 coins later I'm thinking "what the ?????" This doesn't happen every time. It could be I need to tweek the settings but swapping detectors works. I usually bring two or more detectors with me for different situations. Maybe change coils, settings like more/less sensitivity or try a different detector and see what happens.

Bingo here fellow member.
If we take a Etrac or CTX with stock coil and pound an old site. Hunt the daylights out of. Looking for coppers and silvers.
Then take equinox with stock coil in.
Chances are huge if we indeed make any additional copper and or silver finds they will be shallower not deeper. Why?
Has nothing to do do with Equinox depth capabilities but rather its separation abilities. Once a target deeper say coin gets so deep the envelop for detection is basically equal among detectors ( as far as separation). Key here is detection. Not necessarily correct ID of target.

This is why I highly recommend equinox users rehunting sites (behind fbs/fbs2) looking for coins higher conductive go with speeds 6 and 7 using Eqx 800 or speed 3 using Eqx 600.
For nickels and other lower conductive coins, slower speed settings could give advantage and allow some deeper ones found fbs/fbs2 missed.

Bottom line and my test show.
Fbs/fbs2 detectors ID of higher conductors is more accurate vs EQx when ferrous is near.
EQX detectors ID of lower conductors is more accurate when ferrous is near.

And if we look at what has been found by folks using both in same sites.
We will see this supports what I am saying here.

Few videos here showing strengths and weaknesses.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQwmf5JGQI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vz77QsUpfxQ&t=310s

Last edited:
Yep that's pretty much how I attack a site if I'm looking for coins. I hunt it first with FBS then if I have time I'll go back and pick out the tough signals with a faster machine like the Nox.

For strictly coin shooting, FBS is hard to beat. Especially on sites where time is limited or where you need to dig as few holes as possible. Also a good choice for those who have knee problems which limit the ability to get up and down. Being able to accurately cherry pick targets in these situations is where FBS machines really shine. They can snipe good targets from thick iron too. Just requires a slower sweep speed.

My opinion is you already have a at pro so no need to buy another muti purpose machine,mx sport,equinox,or kruzer...your asking for (the best coin machine) and it's the etrac hands down..The at pro / etrac are the best combo I've come across yet, seeming you have half of the puzzle already you should get the etrac.

Is it true the Etrac is really hard to learn how to use? What is Bills trashy park program?

Thanks

Not in my opinion. Etrac is very turn on and go success hence it's popularity. Bills program just give discrimination and settings an improvement over the stock coin program.

Everyone says best on deep silver but it's just great on ID and at depth.

Etrac is a deep nickel killer as well.

Out of the box. Turn on Etrac, press noise cancel, go hunt. Doesn't get easier than that. One could say easier than AT Pro. No worry about ground balancing. No worry about sensitivity or EMI avoidance. Auto noise cancel and auto sensitivity out the box take care of that.

All that said. Retail on a new E-trac(and CTX for that matter) are now incorrectly priced IMO. Just doesn't fit the current metal detector landscape. But they can be found used for very cheap compared to full retail.

Etrac is very easy to use.
User needs to become familiar with conductive number ID of higher conductive coins. As well as Nickels and Indian head coins.

Coil sweep speed is key. Go slow. Actually it is virtually impossible to sweep Etrac too slow. Even real slow it will strike deep.
You go too fast and you can lose out of some coins.

Detector can be used to locate higher conductive copper and silver by ear only actually once you get the hang with detector and have it set up right.

Actually even running a pretty tight disc setup a d just digging all the detector gives tone on ain’t bad at all.

Real simple detectors to use.

Probably hardest part is to learn on some of the deeper stuff and some coins colocated with iron. Etrac will sniff these out. Clues will be giving. User learns the clues they are definitley off to the races.

Ferrous number behavior and cursor behavior big time clues along with tone behavior.

KISS principle employed big time with Etrac for coin hunting. CTX too.
Coins detected using Etrac, many of these located will make At Pro whimper or say nothing at all. And many other detectors too.

Plus you have better odds of knowing what you are about to dig.
Instead of like others where odds of junk dug is way higher.
Etrac not perfect.
But close enough.
One detector model when a site is busted by skilled user is very difficult to hunt behind trying to pull coins like copper and silver.

Wish I had a buck for every copper and silver located by Explorers, Etrac and CTX by folks in USA.

The Nox 600 will find everything plus that an E Ttac will find. Save yourself some money.

Another vague post that leaves too many unanswered questions.

Texashunter36: said:
So I’ve been at this hobby for over a year now and I’d say I’m pretty comfortable with my Garrett AT Pro, ...
Hummm? What's your definition of "pretty comfortable" with the AT Pro? A year isn't all that much time to really learn a detector unless you spend a lot of time afield and work to learn and master all the strengths and weaknesses of a detector.

Left out of your post is which search mode and settings you used; which search coil/s you mainly use; and what types of sites you were hunting and ground mineral information, etc.

... my Uncle who I hunt with has been at it for around 3 years and uses a Max. He’s got a deus but so far he’s not that big of a fan of it, mostly cause he saying it’s not as easy to pinpoint coins.
So your Uncle has been at this about three times as long as you so one might guess he has more experience and has learned more or understands more, and he's using an upscale AT series model. Did you ask your Uncle for any help solving the problems or questions you have?

If he pinpoints easier with the AT than the Deus, why would that be? Pinpoint mode function? The search coil size or type used?

Anyways, my point being is we’ve both been 99% Garrett guys so there’s not much difference in our hunting between us. We just did a 400 mild circle this weekend and hit some primo looking stuff. At 18 Wheats, 1 Indian, and 1 Rosie I just can’t help but think we’re missing coins.
In mid-January not a lot of folks here in the USA can make a 400 mile drive and find coins due to the wintry environment, so: Where, in general, do you live and what area, in general, did your make your trip through?

What types of places were you hunting on your 400 mile journey, and you traveled that distance and put in ample detecting in only a weekend? It might seem like you found some good potential sites to hunt but perhaps didn't put in enough detecting time ... OR ... you were searching at too fast a pace or sweep speed to efficiently cover the locations?

Does 18 Wheat's, 1 Indian head and 1 silver Roosevelt represent what you found or was that your combined total? What was the recovery tally of modern coinage on that trip? What types of places were you coming across that surrendered that production? I know many people who would like to find that many older dated keepers on a weekend.

I feel limited by my Garrett.
In what way/s do you feel limited? Specifics can be helpful. I've enjoyed this sport for a long time and used to have a Garret model or two in my Regular-Use Outfit and even was a Garrett Dealer from '77 through most of '81 when they had more competitive models. I've used the AT Pro and evaluated it when it first came out, and I've also borrowed an AT Gold and AT Max just to get a feel of what they can and can't do for me and the types of hunting I most enjoy. Obviously they work and can find coins, and some people enjoy them. For me, well, I'm not a fan of the AT series.

I get a lot of ground interference in mineral rich soils so I often wonder if that’s masking coins.
Can you describe where you hunted and what you feel constitutes "ground interference" or what were "mineral rich soils?"

Did you Ground Balance? What search coils were you using? Did you have a proper coil height from the ground to help eliminate interference? Try reducing the Sensitivity or ??? to try and counter the problem? Are you sure it wasn't EMI from hunting too close to the AT Max or some other EMI source?

I also don’t feel like I get much depth. With that being said is there a machine that’s way more suited for coins than the Garrett?
Uh Oh! We're back to that 'depth' topic already.:(

So, you mentioned finding 20 older-dated coins and I'll ask: How deep were those 20 coins and in what type of site environment?

How 'deep' do you expect older coins to be, and in what types of ground conditions?

I started out 'Coin Hunting' and continue to enjoy it, but the bulk of my hunting time since '83 I devote to working older, long out-of-use places as well as Relic Hunting ghost towns and similar locations where I have better chances of finding older coins, Trade Tokens and other smaller artifacts of interest.

In my 54 years of detecting I have recovered a countless number of coins. In the early decade I could find 60+ thousand coins a year, unless I wasn't working overtime or a part-time second job, then my annual coin take was upward to 120K a year. A good percentage of those coins were silver or early mintages.

But those were the 'glory years' in this great sport, from '65 through about '75 where there were abundant lost coins to be found and it was first-come / first-served. Coin numbers stayed very good from the mid to latter '70s on through the '80s, and by then all of the commonly worked public areas were starting to get thinned out and we don't see a generous contribution of lost coins these days because those once active locations just aren't being used much anymore.

One thing I have learned is that while there can be locations where time and natural activity has resulted in some coins being located a bit deeper, and in over five decades I have found deep coins, but the bulk of the coinage that has been lost isn't all that deep. The bulk, by far, are located in the surface to 4" depth range, and a 'deeper' coin might be anywhere from over 4" to perhaps 7" or so.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really care about the relics...I’m after coins so I’d be happy with something more suited to that. I’ve been thinking Equinox?
'Relics' is a definition and some sites have a greater number on non-coin targets that some Relic Hunters are in search of, especially in battlefield type environments.

Other 'Relic Hunting' involves searching older sites that might have a nice old artifact here and there, but searchers are often more interested in older coins, trade tokens and anything that signals a hit to such a potential find. Hunting old ghost towns, homesteads, stage stops or railroad depot sites, pioneer or military encampment site and other similar places can turn up some very impressive 'coin' finds.

Since you say you don't care for 'relics' are you suggesting that you are primarily a 'Coin Hunter' and you prefer to search the traditional places most Coin Hunters like to hunt?

With only a year experience with an AT Pro, what prompted you to consider an Equinox?

Do you need to shop for a brand new detector, or would there be a used model or two out there that might help you find 'older' or 'deeper' coins at the places you search?

Many responders have suggested other models, and also that you might want to outfit yourself with two or more detectors to better handle different applications. All good suggestions. I used to only own and use one detector, but since late '71 I have always had two or more. Usually three or more and only a couple of time was down to two detectors.

I glance at the wall in my den and I have nine detectors hanging there that I select from, and only two of the nine are current production models. In other words, you could add one or two detectors that are used and more affordable and hang on to that AT Pro, if you want to. Also, if shopping for a detector do not forget to make sure you have one or two search coils for it that are best suited to the types of places you hunt.

Just some thoughts.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom