And my last silver coin of 2018 is ?

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
[ A 1910 Barber dime. Its been a pretty good last week of the year for mding here in W. Pa. The weather has been pretty mild .I was able to get out the day after Christmas-Thur-for 2 hrs. Fri. and Sun. Wed. I met my buddy at the local park, I went back to nickel hill where I dug two war nickels 3 Buffs and a bunch of clad nickels. First good signal was a 28-29 nice tone, 5 in. down I got a 41 Merc. A little further down the hill I got another Merc-44. My buddy got a Merc from the same area and also dug an Slq. I got almost 5 bucks in clad and he did pretty well himself. Ya this is one on those hunted parks you hear about. Thurs. I had plans with the daughter and wasn't going out but on the way home I spied and old house that had been vacant and for sale, I have had my eye on this place for a while and I saw the cable guy there and people moving in, I pulled over and told my daughter I'll only be a minute. I met the owner, an immigrant, didn't speak English to well and it took me a while to convey what it was I wanted to do. Finally when he did understand he ask when ? I told him I would be back in 15 min. I didn't want the guy to get cold feet and only had about an hour left. H e also ask--you're not going to charge me for this are you ? I said no this ones on me and Thank you. Small front yard and a short hunt I got a Rosie, a 50 GW and Merc, 2 wheaties and some glad. Man sweet hunt, it gets better, I meet the guy next door and he tells me to come back and do his yard. I said sure. Fri. I go back thinkin' there gotta be more silver in this yard. It was not the case, I did dig 7 wheaties which I needed to put me at 200 FTY, a litlle bit of clad, a couple dog tags and a money clip that I gave to the guys daughter. She thought it might be her grandfathers. So that brings us to Sun. I texted the buddy and ask if he wanted to go to the old amusement where we dug a bunch of old coins. He told me he would like to do a doorknock on the way and if it was a no then just continue on. We meet the owner and he tells us the house dates back to the 1820s and that we would be wasting out time because him and his son have been all over the place several times with their metal detector. Very nice people, invited us in their house and after chatting for an hour he said I guess you can have a look around, but you won't find any thing. Sorry this post has gone on too long, story short. I dug a 1910 Barber. a IHP, 6 wheaties and .35 clad,a horse shoe a couple of cool buttons and a big surprise on clean-up was the Eagle pin. My buddy Dug a 1906 Barber dime, a 26 Merc. 2 V nickels 2 Buffs 2 IHPs and a handful of wheaties,and some cool buttons and a couple tokens. The owners were very surprised at what we found, I did give them the horseshoe and we got permission to return and hunt again. So the last week I was able to add 6 silvers and one more IHP to the count in a very good week of hunting. Happy New Year to all. Mark

Attachments

• 20181231_104106 (2).jpg
    20181231_104106 (2).jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 20181230_182654 (2).jpg
    20181230_182654 (2).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 20181231_132229.jpg
    20181231_132229.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 20181231_133214 (2).jpg
    20181231_133214 (2).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20181231_132429 (2).jpg
    20181231_132429 (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 20181231_133315 (2).jpg
    20181231_133315 (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 187
Wow Mark, you guys are going out with a bang! Congrats on all of the great finds and getting some permissions! I got skunked yesterday myself.:(

Way to end the year..It’s miserable here In blairsville,And it seems to be coming from your direction.lol..Hope you weren’t out in this..Congrats on the great end of the year saves,that barbers in really nice shape.

Looks like some good diggin' there.
Thank you sir, wish I could find some of that old dirt you hunt. HH Mark

Wow Mark, you guys are going out with a bang! Congrats on all of the great finds and getting some permissions! I got skunked yesterday myself.:(
Fred, thank you, you may have got skunked yesterday but I can't wait to see your wrap up. You had one fine year . Happy New Year.

Way to end the year..It’s miserable here In blairsville,And it seems to be coming from your direction.lol..Hope you weren’t out in this..Congrats on the great end of the year saves,that barbers in really nice shape.
Thanks, no not today, its been miserable here as well. I see yo pulled a couple sweet silvers the other day, congrats. Tomorrow looks good but I'm doin' the pork n kraut so hopefully the weekend will be decent. Happy New Year Mark

A 1910 Barber is a great way to end the year, congratulations!
Thanks the Barber and Indian was a great way to close the year. HH Mark

Congrats Mark on some very nice hunts to finish your year. You added some nice Silver's and Relics to end 2018 on a very high note. I hope your 2019 is even a better year for you. Trapper

Some great coins there...

Now....what’s the name on that rose tag???
HA HA I thought the same thing, remember the guy who posted about an uncomfortable situation, I'm glad I didn't dig it in a place like that LOL. Thanks T HH Mark

Unless my eyes deceive me, it says "Golden Showers" :laughing::lol::laughing::laughing::lol::lol:
Why you dirty old man lol Ya that was the first thing I thought too. HH Mark

Was hoping that wasn’t it......:?:

Congrats on a great week and great story Mark!!
Thank Ron, Best of luck in 2019

Nice write up! Enjoyed reading it, congrats on both you, and your friend's finds! :)
Yes sir thanks, it was a nice end to the season. HH Mark

Congrats Mark on some very nice hunts to finish your year. You added some nice Silver's and Relics to end 2018 on a very high note. I hope your 2019 is even a better year for you. Trapper
Jack thank you sir and I hope you have another year like the last. How you liking retirement ? HH Mark

Very impressive. Not only in the finds but in the skill in finding them. Congrats Mark!
John, thank you sir. But as you know the Equinox make finding stuff pretty easy. Ya know on a side note here, that old place we did had the best dirt I've ever hunted in. Black dirt 10-12in. deep. You would stick you digger in and it would go all the way to the handle. My buddy was killin me 2to1 on finds with his Etrac. I told him most of my signal were wonky, not very clear and I missed on pinpoint several times by 5 in. or better. I had the 15in. coil on. I use Park 2 5 tone. It wasn't till I got home that I remembered I had done a factory reset and forgot to drop my recovery speed. I usually use 3 with the 15. So even with that bone head move I was able to find some great stuff. Hope you a great 2019. HH Mark

John, thank you sir. But as you know the Equinox make finding stuff pretty easy. Ya know on a side note here, that old place we did had the best dirt I've ever hunted in. Black dirt 10-12in. deep. You would stick you digger in and it would go all the way to the handle. My buddy was killin me 2to1 on finds with his Etrac. I told him most of my signal were wonky, not very clear and I missed on pinpoint several times by 5 in. or better. I had the 15in. coil on. I use Park 2 5 tone. It wasn't till I got home that I remembered I had done a factory reset and forgot to drop my recovery speed. I usually use 3 with the 15. So even with that bone head move I was able to find some great stuff. Hope you a great 2019. HH Mark

Mark, to pinpoint on the 15" do you use coil wiggle technique or the control box button? I use nearly exclusively the tip of the coil technique and not the button. I find it faster and accurate.

Wiggle

Mark, to pinpoint on the 15" do you use coil wiggle technique or the control box button? I use nearly exclusively the tip of the coil technique and not the button. I find it faster and accurate.
Yes sir I agree, I use the wiggle most of the time if I get a good two way, and I 90 it to X the spot. If I get a good one way I wiggle back and eyeball the spot just ahead of the coil when the tone stops, then same thing in reverse and that usually gets me on target. On occasion I will pinpoint with the button (iffy signal or maybe in a yard where I'm trying to be extra careful ), I use the sweet spot on my 15 in. to hop coil in pinpoint. (side step it left then right, fore n aft.) One peculiar thing I have noticed, I have 2 800s one with the 6in. and the with the 15 in. and I was in the back yard messing around after reading about coins on edge, I had one Barber dime flat and one on edge and in pinpoint mode the flat one one pointed fine but the one on edge pinpointed to the side of the coil everytime on both machines. I use Park 2 5 tone with the 15in. recovery at 3. Idid not play too much with it as I was eager to get out and hunt but plan to experiment a little more with it. HH Mark

Attachments

• 20190102_200712.jpg
    20190102_200712.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom