Neighbor Ring Recovery

Saltshaker

Forum Supporter
So not too long ago, Im just sitting back hanging out when my doorbell rings. It was my neighbor from across the street. When I answered, I could tell right away he was upset. In fact he was completely distraught. Although he was trying to keep his emotions in, he proceeded to tell me that while he was working in the yard, fanning some dirt where he got a new driveway put in that he believed to of lost his wedding ring. Classic story, right?
Even worse this ring was his fathers of 70 years and was highly sentimental.

He says, "I thought I saw you out here with a metal detector before so I was wondering if you could find it."
I said "of course I can find it. I find gold rings all the time!"
His face lit up with hope as I told him, "if its in the yard, I'll find it."

So as he patiently waited for me across the street, I grabbed my SE Pro, threw on the 6" coil I have and the rest of my gear and walked over.
He pointed out where thought he lost it which about a 2-3 foot area along the edge of where new dirt was put down.
Perfect...I began to swing along the edge when I get a mid tone, semi-faint and at a deeper depth than I cared to try first. He got all excited but I told him to hold on, let me keep going.

Within the next foot or so, bam!!! Nice mid tone...the kind you like to hear when you least expect it. This time, he tried to jump in with his shovel but I told him to stop. It was so shallow that my pin pointer should do the job.
I proceeded to push the loose dirt around and sure enough, a nice gold band emerged. As I handed it to him, he nearly cried and hugged me almost too tight in a way that I almost felt a bit uncomfortable (he's a bit of a strange guy but very nice). In any case...in 10 min., he was happy and his ring was back on. We talked for a moment and I walked back home knowing a little good karma may just come my way soon.
Later that week he showed up with a nice apple pie to thank me for my help. He was still in shock that it was found but so grateful to have his fathers ring back. I for one enjoyed that pie later with my wife after dinner. I think she now appreciates my hobby a little more. :)

Attachments

• Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 436
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 432
That is awesome.
Just as well you stopped him getting stuck in there with the shovel, or he may have had a nice little new engraving on it!

Dang you pretty much found an apple pie with a metal detector..
we find the strangest things metal detecting don't we :shock: :laughing:

congrats on the VERY good deed.. now go back and find out what that first deeper mid tone was.

Great job, congrats on finding the ring for your neighbor. I recovered an Apple I Phone for a lady on Monday. I didn't get an apple pie but it's a great feeling when you can help someone. I did not take any money for finding her phone.
Bubbaron

I always love to hear stories like this. It shows what this hobby is really all about. Finding lost items. Whether or not the items can be returned is another story, but it's really all about this.

Having lost my first wedding ring myself, I can tell you how happy I would have been to get it back. The replacement, and the marriage is 17 years old and still going strong.

BCD

Congratulations on the find and on the return! That apple pie sounds good, too. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom