The old Sovereign is still kicking!

BuscaPlata

Forum Supporter
I’ve had this urge lately….I have no idea why, but my old vintage Original Sovereign has been hanging on the wall for quite a few years, I believe I got it back in 92 and actually this was my second detector. My first detector was the “Big Bud”, remember those? Anyway I decided to charge up the batteries to see if they even worked anymore, I believe the last time I charged them was about 3 or 4 years ago…these things are old like about, 20 years or more but I do charge them every once in a while, cause you never know.
Anyway got them charged up, put one in the old dinosaur and what do you know!, it worked! So I headed out to one of my favorite hunting grounds not too far from home to give it a quick test, it was kinda late so only had one hour to hunt, so first outing I didn’t find much but a few clad coins and the usual junk. That was yesterday. So today I decided to take it back out again for a bit longer and I had made up my mind….I would keep on using this thing…..till I found Plata! That means…Silver! for those of you who don’t know espanol. Now this thing is not light, not compared to the 705 and the AT Max that I normally use. This thing will kill you elbow in a jiff, Yes it will, this thing weigh’s over 5 pounds amigo! They use to make them heavy in the olden days. Anyway I was able to get in a 3 hour hunt today and am happy to say that I did! find my Plata. 2 mercs and 5 wheats and the usual you know what. Ooh and a few relics too, man this old sovereign really bought back some good old memories. I remember when I used to go into any park and always came out with some Silver and a mix of good ole coins every time, oh well, those were the days. Sooo,….you know what that means? That means I can put this baby back into hibernation for another year or so! maybe? I’m not sure anymore, I kinda enjoyed myself with it.
Oh I almost forgot, Good ole Michdig was there too and he saw it all! Well all except for the last merc. Ok so I say H.H. to all of you Amigos and remember, be kind to you dinosaurs, and once in a while take them out for a spin or two if you have one, I guarantee you won’t regret it…well maybe!?!?

Attachments

• IMG_20180125_165502 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_20180125_165502 (480x640).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 1-28-2018.jpg
    1-28-2018.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 349
Cut my teeth on an old sovereign. Spent hours as a kid popin clad with a flat head at my elementary school. Fun detector but definitely heavy compared to my pro. My mom still has it, guess I need to knock the dust off of it some day.

Those first Sov detectors are supposed to work very well at saltwater beaches, sorry there are none where you are. Actually that makes detecting easier where you are.:yes:

Cut my teeth on an old sovereign. Spent hours as a kid popin clad with a flat head at my elementary school. Fun detector but definitely heavy compared to my pro. My mom still has it, guess I need to knock the dust off of it some day.

The way the control box was set up originally made it very difficult to swing for a long period of time and would kill my elbow within a couple of hours into the hunt, the balance on them were not good especially with the bigger coil, somebody came up with the idea of moving the control box to the bottom of the arm rest, and that was it, made a huge difference, still heavy but a lot better to swing. If you ever take the old Sovereign out again let us know how you did with it Dorange. H.H.

Those first Sov detectors are supposed to work very well at saltwater beaches, sorry there are none where you are. Actually that makes detecting easier where you are.:yes:

It has and still does do very well over here in Michigan, maybe some day when I take a trip to Texas (born there) way down in the valley by Padre Island
I'll take it with me.

Outstanding hunt and I really enjoyed the write up! Good for you on getting out and hitting the Wintertime Michigan Plata!!

Thanks Mud, nice to have a few warm days in January, and tomorrow will be 40 degrees they say, I'll be double bagging my coil for sure.

Busca Plata

Speaking as another dinosaur that Busca Plata hunts with, I can tell you it's not just his machine. If silver is there, I know he will find it no matter what machine he is swinging at the time. They should call him "Rey de Plata" (The Silver King)!

Speaking as another dinosaur that Busca Plata hunts with, I can tell you it's not just his machine. If silver is there, I know he will find it no matter what machine he is swinging at the time. They should call him "Rey de Plata" (The Silver King)!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I like that, Scott:lol:

Back
Top Bottom