Coin of the Durotriges tribe. Circa 30 BC - AD 10

Doug

Elite Member
This the first stater that I have ever found, coins from this era have always eluded me...........until now.

Coin is bronze and was found only a few inches down with my Deus in the Lite mode, standard Deus Fast program but on 8 KHz, 11 inch coil, 2 tones and V2 version software.

Quite difficult to work out the full ID of the coin but thanks to a UK forum member he gave me the ancient tribe from where it originated from. (I live in Somerset UK)

Scale is mm.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

f44i2u.jpg

wguxz6.jpg

Similar type of coin for illustration.

5arocp.jpg

Durotriges.

"Centred in Dorset, this people were also found in southern parts of Wiltshire and Somerset and western Dorset. This was a people that minted and used coins before the Roman Conquest, but there is no evidence from the coins or burials for a strong dynasty of kings. Rather the Durotriges seem to have been a loosely knit confederation of smaller tribal groups at the time of the Roman conquest. One of these smaller tribal groups that lived around Dorchester, buried their dead in inhumation cemeteries.

A unique feature of the Durotriges at this time was that they still occupied hillforts. Although hillforts are one of the most well known features of the Iron Age, most were no longer occupied at turn of the first millennium. Best known of these Durotrigean hillforts is that of Maiden Castle near Dorchester, others include South Cadbury Castle and Hod Hill.

A major trading centre existed at Hengistbury Head from which cross-channel trade with Gaul was controlled. This may be the settlement called Dunium by Ptolemy which was located on the border between the Durotiges and Atrebates. Cross channel trade was not an important source of goods for the Durotriges, who preferred local products."

Very happy for you Doug that you got the one that kept getting away! :D

30BC - 10AD...now that is OLD!!! :shock:

That's just has to be awesome to hold in your land let alone dig from the earth.

When you find something you've never found before, you sure go big Doug..... ;)

Wow, that is absolutely unreal! 2,000 yrs old? Huge congrats!!!

Now THAT'S getting back there in time, wow...

Thank you, I did have some more success with have a couple of coins from the 2nd/3rd century on the same day, photographs going up this evening.

Wow Doug! That is awesome! As someone who loves the classics/roman times, I love your coin!

Back
Top Bottom