Just can't decide. Wireless or wired headphones?

tinsmith

Elite Member
I know another headphone thread. The budget this spring is just very tight so I'm really pushing it spending anything more on my hobby. But,,,, if I'm going detecting at all, soon any temp over 65° and full size phones bother the %&$# out of me. I have a couple buds I dug up in the old cell phone box. I'm so suprised at how well they put out my audio on the 705. However buds of any type Annoy my ears so that I've almost tore them out and thrown them in a lake. Really I must admit: I hate headphones. I'm also never going to detect without them for all the reasons y'all already know. I hated sea salt in my eyes but I used to dive of the Fl coast. I love detecting so h phones are my sea salt. One unpleasant aspect of something I love doing.
I really want light wieght phones but nothing in the ear. If I could I'd have Grey Gost wired, they may not be lightweight but I hear very comfy and Sienhouser RS 160 wireless system. Or WDK 700 ( not sure if that's the right name). I know it sounds silly having over 800 in a detector and scrutinizing hp's over a few bucks. Right now though Budget low ($40) so I'm down to this perplexing decision.
Wired- Garrett Clear Sound Easy Stow headphones. $20ish
Wireless- Rapoo H3070 2.4 Ghz wireless $40ish

The wired "Easy Stow" look lightweight, have a 1/4 plug and at least partway of a curly cord.. I like em.
The Rapoo's , well definetly lightweight and what can I say, all the wonderfullness of wireless, biggest perk- Not tethered to the machine.
Leaning towards the Rapoo but I'm wondering what else besides my 705's sounds could or may the headphone receiver pick up. I'm thinking about interference. I wonder if they'd pick up anything anoying at times. There's got to be a lot in todays air.
Any opinions? Or bash me for still talking headphones? All appreciated, thanks.
Tin

Attachments

• transmitter with mic.jpg
    transmitter with mic.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 329
Whites starlites are decent. Cord is a little short feeling but the newer ones with volume control may be longer. The rapoo made my omega sound horrible. Weak synthetic audio sound. I've only used prostars and starlites on the 705 so no idea how rapoo is on it. The rapoos are super light and free feeling. They seemed ok on my tracker 4.

Whites starlites are decent. Cord is a little short feeling but the newer ones with volume control may be longer. The rapoo made my omega sound horrible. Weak synthetic audio sound. I've only used prostars and starlites on the 705 so no idea how rapoo is on it. The rapoos are super light and free feeling. They seemed ok on my tracker 4.

Back when I was reseaching for a detector I've read the Omega has good audio. I have only a 705 and use only multi tones and ID trash with the harmonic blended tones it gives while doing the DD wiggle and pulling the coil out of the targets field. So that concerns me that the Rapoo's give you flat/weak audio. If they don't emulate what wired phones give they're not gonna cut it. I've looked online at the starlights and they're inexpensive too. I just don't have the budget this month for better stuff like Detector Pro or Kleer tech wireless.

And after reading most the night, I'm answering my own post.
Just read a good, and what looked like a unbiased review from India on the Rapoo H3070. Site named Tech Raman. Actually this site does a heck of a job with reviews. Pics along with a good easy read.
I'm only going to mention the thing that turns me off. Under what they find bad was: Noticeable signal interference

And after reading most the night, I'm answering my own post.
Just read a good, and what looked like a unbiased review from India on the Rapoo H3070. Site named Tech Raman. Actually this site does a heck of a job with reviews. Pics along with a good easy read.
I'm only going to mention the thing that turns me off. Under what they find bad was: Noticeable signal interference

I have the H3070's I used with my AtPro for quite awhile. I still have them and use them on other detector now. I have never experienced signal interference. I can leave my detector and walk way farther away than I expected and still hear the detector (Walk to my car at a home site or etc).

They are lite, comfortable and hold a charge all day long and into the next. I would fully charge them each hunt but they last a good long while.

If they sucked I would say so , they do not.

I have the Auvio 33-283 wireless, the TDK WR700 wireless, the Rapoo 3050 wireless as well as corded headphones, the Gray ghost, Gray Ghost amphibians and the Koss UR30.
For wireless I prefer the Auvios but have went through a few sets due to the 1/4 jack in the transmitter is very fragile, the TDK WR700 are also a great set and unlike the Auvios, you can use AAA batteries in both the transmitter and receiver. The Rapoos are also good for the price but the drawbacks are that they break up a little in the higher pitched signals and the battery time is only about 4 hours whereas the Auvio and TDK give you a good 8 hours af time to detect.
For the wires headphones I prefer the Koss as the sound is very good quality and the ear cushions are just plain comfortable.
I have been detecting for over 30 years and believe me headphones have come a long way since the early days.
Hope this info helps.

All this info helps, also fun being gear is such an important aspect. Anything that slows you down means less targets.

I see some people get good results and had no interference with the Rapoo's. that's great news. That review I read was prob really testing/"pushing the envelope" with this Rapoo setup. Indoors no dought. At the price it wouldn't hurt my retirement to try them. In the near future I'll most likely try them. For now I quickly need lightweight so I ordered the Clear Sound Easy Stow Garrett's. They fold up, only wiegh about 8 ounces and are least made for detectors. 1/4 90° plug and at least part curly cord. So inexpensive it can become backups. I will one day try Detector Pro products like GG's.
My buddy with the Euro Tek Pro uses everthing I have left after upgrading gear. He'll use any phones I don't like, he hasn't had to buy any gear yet.

From your choices, I use those light weight Garrett's have since they came out, yes I broke the cord right at the plug, but that happens to most of them all, brands with rough bush use. They are certainly are good enough for me anyway.

I usually were one ear on, and on ear off, if real hot I'll switch ears.

I would like to go wireless to, but most of the set ups I've seen involve to many parts, and more batteries to have to remember to charge...so for right now I'll stay wired, till a better less parts, system becomes available.

From your choices, I use those light weight Garrett's have since they came out, yes I broke the cord right at the plug, but that happens to most of them all, brands with rough bush use. They are certainly are good enough for me anyway.

I usually were one ear on, and on ear off, if real hot I'll switch ears.

I would like to go wireless to, but most of the set ups I've seen involve to many parts, and more batteries to have to remember to charge...so for right now I'll stay wired, till a better less parts, system becomes available.

2 parts too much?

2 parts too much?

2 parts, fairly ugly set up, 2 more batteries to charge, and most have another radio in their pocket, and still have wires from that to headphones, not really wireless. not all of them I admit, but at least some of them. It's just not what "I" want.

Now something as neat as the wireless for the racer, is much nicer.

The one model I see some people do like seems not available anymore ?

So which one do you use ? I am interested. as I have broke a few sets of headphones, usually the wire breaks at the plug, and always too short to try to repair.

2 parts, fairly ugly set up, 2 more batteries to charge, and most have another radio in their pocket, and still have wires from that to headphones, not really wireless. not all of them I admit, but at least some of them. It's just not what "I" want.

If this is to complicated not sure how one could work a MD...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMWRK60/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-400.../dp/B0012YHQVE
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html

Big old cans on your head.. or ear plugs.. leave one in one out, or plug the included mic in the transmitter and listen to your surroundings.

Turn on the power for the transmitter which is preset to the frequency of your choice, plug in the wire, turn on the radio hit the memory button and lock it, plug in the ear buds and puttem in you head.. swing..

If this is to complicated not sure how one could work a MD...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMWRK60/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-400.../dp/B0012YHQVE
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html

Big old cans on your head.. or ear plugs.. leave one in one out, or plug the included mic in the transmitter and listen to your surroundings.

Turn on the power for the transmitter which is preset to the frequency of your choice, plug in the wire, turn on the radio hit the memory button and lock it, plug in the ear buds and puttem in you head.. swing..

Scapes, thanks for the info bro. I see your point exactly, you can use any phones or buds you want. I bet what's intimedating for many of us is the radio. What I mean is : Do you have any issues with tuning the radio to that transmitter? Or as I think, you only have to do that once. Then you keep it on that setting. Would that be correct?

I bought a Wireless White's Vision on release. It then changed it's name to the V3 and then to the V3i. I have never been crazy about it at all.

What keeps me from upgrading to a better machine though is that nobody else is offering built in Wireless at the moment.

The second the Whites MXT goes wireless though I am throwing my V3i into the river, going into the river and retrieving it so I can bang it up with a hammer, throw it through a wood chipper, ship it back to Whites, and post a YouTube video of it all.

Scapes, thanks for the info bro. I see your point exactly, you can use any phones or buds you want. I bet what's intimedating for many of us is the radio. What I mean is : Do you have any issues with tuning the radio to that transmitter? Or as I think, you only have to do that once. Then you keep it on that setting. Would that be correct?

Yes, the transmitter works like a radio and stays where you leave it.. Just try and find a spot on the dial with no stations to either side or very weak ones. Then tune the radio to that station as well, save it in the memory and your done. There is a lock button on the radio to prevent hitting a button and changing the channel and also a way to do that same for the transmitter.

One other nice thing with buds, the wire goes down inside your shirt to the radio so nothing to get hung up on branches..

ive heard good things about the rapoos but I stayed with the wired... I use my rattlers by detectorpro. great !

So you like the one earcup type? I thought about getting the Rattler too. I wondered if it would feel imbalanced or stay on well and comfortable with one side.

So you like the one earcup type? I thought about getting the Rattler too. I wondered if it would feel imbalanced or stay on well and comfortable with one side.
It doesn't feel unbalanced at all to me. It stays on fine and is way more comfortable than any other headphone I've tried. And I've tried alot!!!!
I've worn mine for over 4 hours straight while detecting and never had any issues or discomfort. Most of the other headphones hurt my ears or were too tight on my temples and caused headaches unless I took them off for a while. I like the volume control which is a click know so it won't get turned up too loud or too low if they get jostled a bit. I wasn't keen on the price tag but I'm glad I got em.

Plus I like having one ear available to stay alert to my surroundings either in the woods or in public places.

Just my two cents!

hh

-j

Back
Top Bottom