Where to buy HF pinpointer?

LastStraw

Believe or not, I have never had a pin pointer yet. I am new in this group anyway. I want to buy a Harbor Freight one first, but went to the stores twice and did not find any. Do they only sell it online with a $6 shipping fee? I saw sometimes they have it in stock online and sometimes in back order online but never saw a real one in stores. There are two stores nearby.

Are you looking in the right place?

The store near me always has them..

You might talk to a manager and have them put one on hold for you?

<*)))>{

Call before you go. Give them the Harbor Freight PN and they should be able to check stock.

Jeff

I did find the long 9 function metal detector very easily. Asking for help did not help since the manager did not know what he was doing. Called online order number and was told they have different inventory therefore they don't know which store has it in stock. Oh well...

I did find the long 9 function metal detector very easily. Asking for help did not help since the manager did not know what he was doing. Called online order number and was told they have different inventory therefore they don't know which store has it in stock. Oh well...

Be sure to print off the 20% off coupon to take. Frankly...if I had to drive even 10 miles one way to a HF, I would just pay the shipping. Gas and wear and tear on the car AND me chews up $6 fast. Maybe you could wrangle them to ship you 2 of them for the same shipping of 6 bucks. Having 2 will come in handy. martin

HF, (Centech) Pointer

Of the 3 HF stores near me 2 usually have them and one store does not. I have never found them near the actual metal detectors. They are usually with the studfinders and some other Centech electronic (small) items. As mentioned already get the %20 off coupon and also call before you go, ask the person checking for you to check the inventory of the other close stores! They are not easy to find in either of the stores here that stock them... GL & HH.....Pat

HF, (Centech) Pointer

Of the 3 HF stores near me 2 usually have them and one store does not. I have never found them near the actual metal detectors. They are usually with the studfinders and some other Centech electronic (small) items. As mentioned already get the %20 off coupon and also call before you go, ask the person checking for you to check the inventory of the other close stores! They are not easy to find in either of the stores here that stock them... GL & HH.....Pat

Thanks for the suggestion! There are one store located less than 10 min drive; another one around 25 min drive. I do not go there on purpose for this one. Usually I go there on the way for something else or go shopping nearby.

I guess having the HF pinpointer is better than nothing.

BUT, save your clad and buy a Garretts ProPointer.

I think it's a rule somewhere that you have to have one!!;)

My order was back ordered THREE months. I suspect they are selling out fast because people are buying them in quantity from H.F. & selling them on EBay for big bucks.

The HF pinpointer is just fine. The pro pointer is nice but not enough of a difference to justify the cost for me. I only use my pin pointer when I have a target that really blends in with the soil. At the 3 HF stores near me they aren't on the isle you'd expect. One has them with the camping stuff and the other two with the smaller electronic stuff. When you get it look online for the pro pointer coin trick. This trick also works on the HF pin pointer. I use a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the probe and taped. It doubled the range of my pin pointer.

Also the switch is notorious for going bad. When it does (notice I didn't say if) get a new switch from radio shack (about $4) and change it out.

The HF pinpointer is just fine. The pro pointer is nice but not enough of a difference to justify the cost for me. I only use my pin pointer when I have a target that really blends in with the soil. At the 3 HF stores near me they aren't on the isle you'd expect. One has them with the camping stuff and the other two with the smaller electronic stuff. When you get it look online for the pro pointer coin trick. This trick also works on the HF pin pointer. I use a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the probe and taped. It doubled the range of my pin pointer.

Also the switch is notorious for going bad. When it does (notice I didn't say if) get a new switch from radio shack (about $4) and change it out.

Cool information! Good to know before buying.

I went through a few of the Centechs then this spring decided I'd had enough, I like having a pinpointer but those Centech things are just trash, OK for occasional use, but really, spend the money and get a propointer and know it will actually work when you want it. For a guy just starting out and not sure if you will stick with the hobby, that's when a Centech is appropriate, so you can see the value in having a pinpointer, but other than that, if you are sure you will be in the hobby awhile, get a PP.

Buy them online! Do the mods and they are great!

$30 bucks on ebay! Hahahah. People must be dumb!

My HF store always has 5-10 on the shelf.

I got one. It is located on another shelf, away from the shelf where the larger metal detectors are. I handed in a 25% coupon. It costs only 13 buck in the end. Sweet! It works fine by the way. It can detect 1 inch roughly. It got a sensitivity adjustment dial on it. If I dial it too sensitive it will make a continue sound. So far so good.

Glad to hear!!

Now they do work just fine usually at room temperature but once it starts getting warm in the sun you will have to keep turning down the sensitivity till it gets so warm you can't turn it down any more. It is at that point you must adjust it from the inside...

Everything you will need to know, and more, can be read on this thread..

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=21525

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom