What to get my 7 year old son?

Utahoutdoors

I am happy to have found you all! That's for the help in advance!

My son who is turning ten tomorrow saved up his money from lawn mowing and bought a whites coin master last summer. He got a Garrett pine pointer for Christmas. He loves metal detecting and has found lots of cool stuff. His little brother is turning 7 in a month and he wants a detector so bad he cant stand it. He is not very big and I am wondering if I should buy him a little Jr. Detector or if I should spend the extra money to get him into a better machine? I think the coin master is an ok machine but my ten year old is kind of out growing it. He wants a numerical display, better notch discrimination, and more features.

So what do I do? Here are my options,
1. Buy my 7 year old a coin master so they have matching machines even though I don't love it.
2. Buy him a cheep Jr. Detector until he is bigger.
3. Buy him a better machine, like a F2, Ace 250, or other.

What is the best machine for a little guy?

Dad is going to buy a detector this summer!

I did not need a new hobby, but I have to admit, I am loving digging stuff up!

Thanks for any advise!

My son is also seven, when he was six I bought him a BH jr and really did
Not like as it was more like a toy. I bought a Tesoro compadre based on the
Great reviews on the forum. The compadre compacts down to the perfect
Length for him, is super light and really is great detector. I use it a lot myself

I would buy him either the F-2 or the Ace 250. If he grows tired of it, you can take over and still have a great machine.

Either way its a win-win situation.

Thanks everyone!

I am happy I found this site! I had not thought about the Tesoro, I will have to look into one, I have never held a ace 250 or the F2 but have read about them. I think my wife is on board for $200-$250 detector. I got him a harbor freight pinpointer last time I was in. Not great but he will think its cool. I tested it and it does work.

I need to checkout the online stores recommended here and will order from one of them.

I am excited to learn form you all.

I'm sure my older boy will be excited to post photos of his finds as well. He has found a ton of cool stuff. One silver ring and a 1938 utah tax token are his best finds, but he has bags of clad coins he is saving for his next detector.

I would go with the F2 it's a great machine I have one I started with and I'm keeping it for my son he's 5 now so he's got about another year to go and he will fit into it better.
the harbor freight pin pointer is ok for a while but the button will go bad pretty quick. I have one and maybe used mine on about 5-6 hunts and now it barely works at all. there are mods that you can do to them that some people have here on the forum in the fix it yourself section so I would look into that also and it will last a lot longer for sure

I am thinking about a full size BH for my daughter. Only reason is that you can get them from Hobby Lobby and they always give out 40% off coupons. They would be more then suitable for a child and decent bang for the buck at almost half price.

I just went to their web site. They have the Tracker IV for $ 110.00 plus they have a code for a 40% off coupon on their web site.

I would probably get the older son a newer model to reward the fact that he worked hard and saved his money to get the one he has now. And give his current model to the younger boy. That's just what I would do.

Pretty awesome your kids are digging your hobby. Should make for some killer fun weekends.

My son is also seven, when he was six I bought him a BH jr and really did
Not like as it was more like a toy. I bought a Tesoro compadre based on the
Great reviews on the forum. The compadre compacts down to the perfect
Length for him, is super light and really is great detector. I use it a lot myself

+1
I have the Compadre, love it for the ares that I hunt. Lightweight, compact, turn on and go machine. My brother started his 5 year old daughter on the Compadre since it can be adjusted short enough for her.

definately spend some money and go for a compadre, F2 or ace 250. If he gets bored with it, you can generally sell it for close to what you bought it for. And if he sticks with it he has a capable starting machine.

I 2nd that idea.

I would probably get the older son a newer model to reward the fact that he worked hard and saved his money to get the one he has now. And give his current model to the younger boy. That's just what I would do.

Pretty awesome your kids are digging your hobby. Should make for some killer fun weekends.

I agree with the F2 or Ace 250. They are great machines and if you ever want to sell them they hold their value very well.

It is kind of the other way around. I bow hunt, fish, hunt birds, predator call, antler hunt, boat, four wheel, and camp a ton. It was my son who wanted to do this and I definitely did not need another hobby, but he worked hard to buy his detector and I wanted to support him. I had no idea just how fun it would be. Our first hunt, he found a 1938 utah tax token, a couple of 40s wheat pennies and 4$ in clad and I kind of got hooked as well. It is definitely cheaper than my other hobbies and has the same level of excitement and the whole family can come along.

I would get the older boy a new machine, but my 7 year old is always getting hand-me-downs, I want him to get is very own machine. My older boy is also attached to his coin master and is saving his finds to buy a nicer machine, he wants to do it all on his own. My three year old daughter now wants her own detector. What have we started?:laughing: good times with the whole crew!

I would get the older boy a new machine, but my 7 year old is always getting hand-me-downs, I want him to get is very own machine.

I fully understand, in that case show him some videos and pics, explain a few differences to him, "like VDI" , and let him pick which one he wants :D I've been using a 250, and will have a F2 tomorrow. So I can't speak for the F2 yet, but from my research i think it will be awesome. But you won't go wrong with the 250 either. So I say, if you want him to feel more in control and get persoanl satisfaction out of his detector it, let him pick it!:D

I started with a F2 and still have it as a back up. The only problem with the ace line is chatter or interference that could make a new MDer frustrated. Good luck and you should be commended for taking such an intrest in you childrens life. It is great you all have a hobby that you enjoy together.

+1 for the Compadre

When you get him a compadre it will have a lifetime warranty so if he ever has a problem with it, it can be fixed. So he will always have his first metal detector that his dad bought him.

F-2

The F-2 package with the 4'', 8'', and pinpointer for $215 are 4'',8'',10'', and pinpointer for $275.00. And then the 11''DD package for $299.00 for the older boy and they will have detector's that will last a long time plus they will be able to share coil's!!!!

I've only have the F-2 so I can't comment on the ace but did a lot of research before I settled on the F-2.

Back
Top Bottom